Layer blending

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
bluecarrot

Layer blending

Post by bluecarrot »

I hope this is the right place to post this.
I have been playing with the layer blending functions and found something that I can't get to work. Maybe it's human error (mine) or not understanding the function properly. Otherwise I guess this could be a request for improvement.
I forgot how to attach more than one image so I will do a bunch of replies.

For this test I drew a simple shape:
Blending01.jpg
Blending01.jpg (62.59 KiB) Viewed 22084 times
Last edited by bluecarrot on 07 Feb 2016, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
bluecarrot

Re: Layer blending

Post by bluecarrot »

On the layer above I drew some lines in black and light blue. For fun I set the layer opacity at 57%. This is what I see when I toggle this layer on.
Blending02.jpg
Blending02.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 22083 times
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

To learn how to use blending I'm looking at:
http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... troduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Following the instruction I drop the top layer on the on below and get this popup menu:
Blending03.jpg
Blending03.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 22083 times
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

If used while merging layers the result of the blending function "Darken Only" is just as expected. Success! This is similar to what I would experience if I would draw some lines over the shape with the brush set to "Darken Only".
Blending04MergeSuccess.jpg
Blending04MergeSuccess.jpg (58.99 KiB) Viewed 22083 times
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

Now I want to get the same effect but without merging layers.
Here I looked again at the documentation: "The solution is to mix the layers but without needing to modify them. To do that, the layers should be mixed "on the fly". There is a popup menu in each layer in the left side of the layers panel which allows you to select the way to mix the layer, it is called the Blending Mode."

I really like this idea!!

But when I try it by setting the top layer to "Darken Only" the result looks different.
Blending05LayerDarkenOnlyFail.jpg
Blending05LayerDarkenOnlyFail.jpg (63.65 KiB) Viewed 22083 times
It looks as if it assumes the area where I didn't draw anything (which looks white) is the color white and the lines are visible over white. Only the light blue lines over the green shape vanish.
I would like to have an option where I can define which layers the blending affects in this case layer "Untitled 2". With the idea that I get the same result I got when I blended while merging.
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

If I try "Lighten Only" on the top layer. The result seems to be as expected and one might think it's successful.
Blending06LayerLighten.jpg
Blending06LayerLighten.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 22083 times
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

But adding a black layer underneath reveals that it functions like "darken Only":
Blending07LayerLightenOverBlack.jpg
Blending07LayerLightenOverBlack.jpg (65.14 KiB) Viewed 22083 times
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

It actually looks almost the same as when I draw the light blue lines on the top layer without the layer set to blending. Like here:
Blending07.1NoBlending.jpg
Blending07.1NoBlending.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 22083 times
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

So currently the blending functionality "on the fly" does not seem useful for how I thought I would like to use it.
To double-check I try "Lighten Only" while merging layers. The step that makes this work seems to be the clarity of dropping one layer on to another.
Blending08.jpg
Blending08.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 22081 times
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

So again while merging I get the expected result.
Blending09MergeOverBlackSuccess.jpg
Blending09MergeOverBlackSuccess.jpg (63.04 KiB) Viewed 22081 times
This blending while merging is a very nice functionality that I appreciate.
But I really like "on the fly" (the way you described it in the documentation) as a concept because it would preserve the original art (helpful for later adjustments) while merging alters the original art. My suggestion would be to give us an option to imitate the way we can specify a certain layer (or layers) when merging so that blending also works "on the fly" in a way that gets a result that looks the same as what we get when we blend while merging.

Greetings to the team in Metz. I appreciate your work! :D