A simple suggestion to improve TVP for illustration

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
neonnoodle

A simple suggestion to improve TVP for illustration

Post by neonnoodle »

I have a room set up for digital illustration/painting. What would be nice would be a switch/button/hotkey whose function is "Show/Hide Timeline" but which would LEAVE the layers part of the Timeline panel. That way I could have a layers panel as in other digital painting software, without having to mess around with the animation timeline that I'm not currently using.

From an interface standpoint it seems like this would be easy to implement, because it would simply truncate part of the Layers panel the same way that the Sound/Notes buttons do.
NathanOtano

Re: A simple suggestion to improve TVP for illustration

Post by NathanOtano »

Maybe you can use the vertical timeline? I think It's designed for it.

However I don't know if there is a shortcut to switch between the vertical and horizontal timeline. If not, it's a good feature request :)
But anyway the setting is independent of the room you're using, so you just have to set your room.

I personally use the timeline even for my design processe, to have different versions/different pages on each layer and be able to mix everything up/down, with a layer of references etc. So for me it's a lot more handy than photoshop.
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You can indeed use the vertical mode in the preferences, but if you also use the right drawer, it can be uncomfortable. I'd rather advise to unpin the timeline and resize it to display layers only, without frames.

@Nathan : there is not shortcut for the vertical timeline, since it's a preference. That's also why it cannot be added as a shortcut.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote: I'd rather advise to unpin the timeline and resize it to display layers only, without frames.
I just had this conversation with a student who was asking about: "using TVPaint for illustration , but with the timeline out of the way and layers set up more like PS", so I showed him how to set up one of the Rooms like this :
TVPaint Layers Set up for Illustration like PS.jpg
(click to see image larger)

Then it can be easily switched back to one of the other Rooms view that has "normal" display of Layers and Timeline set up for Animation.

One thing I'll mention re: "unpin the timeline" , this isn't always apparent to the new user how to do this. (that is, to "unpin" the timeline)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

OK great! I never really understood how the Vertical Timeline worked before. I don't usually use the Right Drawer, so this works perfectly. Thanks!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

D.T. Nethery wrote:
One thing I'll mention re: "unpin the timeline" , this isn't always apparent to the new user how to do this. (that is, to "unpin" the timeline)
Iwish I could send a pictures, but I wrote the above message on my phone :)
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

So how can we unpin the timeline? Thanks!
meslin

Post by meslin »

In my opinion, this is a situation that could be improved simply by adjusting the word choices. Instead of "large" and "vertical" timelines, they should be called "Wide" and "Tall." The word "large" implies a general increase of scale, which isn't true, and "vertical" implies a different orientation, which also is not true. "Wide" and "tall" are simpler to understand and more accurate.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

bluecarrot wrote:So how can we unpin the timeline? Thanks!
Just doubl click on the top of the timeline to unpin it :)
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

Thanks Elodie!
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:
bluecarrot wrote:So how can we unpin the timeline? Thanks!
Just double click on the top of the timeline to unpin it :)
But for the person who doesn't come here to the forum and happen to read this discussion , how do they know there is any such option as "unpin the timeline" by double-clicking on it ?

In the User Manual a search for "unpin timeline" or "unpin" turns up no results.

Where it is described in passing is here: http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... exceptions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which refers to "floating timeline" :
"To change the fixed window into the floating window, double click on the window's title bar."

"To change the floating window into the fixed window, click on the pin in the top right corner of the timeline window." Image

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1