Layer plane tests

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
lam giang

Layer plane tests

Post by lam giang »

Hello to TVPaint forum,

I decided to do a FX layer plane test this weekend based on my old drawing (A flying machine flying through layer of clouds)

Here is my first one, I used multi-planes to animate the movement of the clouds, smoke preset effect with horizontal wind direction for the engine and quicker zooming in and out camera flow.

Here is my second test, the camera is more stable and slower overall. I added flying bird in the composition and shadow on the cloud. I didn't use multi-planes FX on this one. I used motion key to key each layer.

Conclusion, I am happy with the test, I still think I could do it better. I prefer the multi-plane approach a lot more. It gives me more control and feedback. The smoke FX...I don't know how to get it right yet. However, please tear it apart if you can. Please give me your suggestions and a better way of doing it if you can, thanks :)

Here is my Giphy link if you want to see a larger format https://giphy.com/gifs/xT9IgiqNzUwajvYlHi
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 5.32.47 PM.png
Elodie

Re: Layer plane tests

Post by Elodie »

Handsome, you have a very pleasant style lam.
Benjamin Cerbai

Post by Benjamin Cerbai »

Great shot ! I will share it on our social media. :)
Benjamin Cerbai, illustrator and videographer.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Have you tried following that plane with the camera a bit more? Second shot looks nice, but a bit undecisive. Make the plane slower, but all clouds (including the farthest) faster, while keeping their relative speeds.

I've noticed that I tend to overthink this stuff: each time I try to incorporate more than 1 direction of movement in a multiplane setup, I end up erasing everything else. In this case I'd stick to horizontal movements of everyting only: plane, clouds, camera. I'd eliminate the small vertical movement of the camera as it doesn't add anything and only compromises the illusion.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

@Elodie : Thank you! I have stolen the "pleasant style" from studio Ghibli :)
@Benjamin: Please, share it, thanks!
@slowtiger: yah, the first shot is a bit too quick and camera didn't follow the direction much. That is a good advice! About the second shot, I agree, if I want to have the vertical camera movement to show the depth of the cloud floor, I need to have a better/different cloud layer to show the cloud floor more and have the shadow of the flying vehicle more obvious. I find that without a true story behind it, I ended up trying different options and being indecisive, but thanks for your feedback!
Lise

Post by Lise »

It's so pretty ! I will share in on our Japanese Twitter. I am sure they will appreciate the Ghibli touch :D
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

@Lisa : Thanks Lisa, please feel free to share it :)
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Looks incredible. I especially like your color scheme.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

@ schwarzgrau: Thanks for your nice comment :)
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I realised there is an old trick to this: moving clouds and plane horizontal only, but give the plane a very small repetitive vertical movement (up down up down). I just remembered old Hannah-Barbera procuctions where they did this all the time (like Jetsons).
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

@slowtiger: Thanks for the tips, I will try it out for my future tests. Again, I have learned a lot of animation tips and tricks from you guys!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Great tip !