Animation reel needs feedback :)

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
lam giang

Animation reel needs feedback :)

Post by lam giang »

Hello TVP buddies,

As many of you might already see some of the works I shared on this forum. In fact, I have gotten a lot of good feedback from you guys. And recently I have put together some of my animation tests, projects into a one minutes video in hoping I can transition and get some freelance comercial animation work here and there. However, my background is a 2 D environment painter for games. Therefore, animation is still a work in progress. Obviously, I still need a lot of practices and feedback. So please feel free to give me your opinions. In this video, my aim is to tap into viewers emotion through my best ability.

My Vimeo link : https://vimeo.com/274178346
file too large :/

Lam Giang
neonnoodle

Re: Animation reel needs feedback :)

Post by neonnoodle »

Hi Lam!
I'm an independent weirdo with no studio experience so I can't speak to what studios might prefer or look for. However, here are my personal observations.

First of all, there's some gorgeous work in there!

However, the most common feature of the work in your reel is the lush painting and colorwork. Often, I see fantastic animation reels with rough animation and black-and-white tests. I believe you should point out that you did everything in all the shots: animation, layout, background painting, and compositing. This is not always typical of animators in the US. There is often more division of labor here between each aspect of the process. If you submit this as your reel for the position of animator, you may be compared unfavorably to someone with more "developed" animation technique. Not that there is anything "wrong" with your animation -- it's just not the most spectacular aspect of your reel compared to your other skills. If you are applying for jobs doing background painting, layout, color styling, or other aspects of the process, your work stands out more.

You may wish to make two reels, one for animation jobs that emphasizes your absolute best pure animation work (regardless of color or "finish"), and another reel for your lovely background, layout and compositing work.
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Hello Zoe Piel,

Thanks for spending your time giving me your advice! You just hit on the point.
Through the years, I learn a little of every aspect of 2 D animation from painting, animation to compositing.
I also have no animation studio experience; However, creating world, characters for projects is very fun, so I kinda have to pick up various skill sets to do it myself. It is hard to imagine I will be someone technically good with 2 D animation because of my 2 hours learning/day schedule. For sure, I will keep trying though since there are so many online resource available now.
really glad that I ask for feedback here. It gives me directions/options where and what to do next (Having 2 separate reels is a really good idea!)

Thank you so much!

Lam
Tylos

Post by Tylos »

Realy nice animation and backgrounds... Why you are using 4:3 not 16:9... I only once worked in studio... But mostly from home... Usualy they have stric rules what you have to do. And getting job is posible, but it dipends from studio needs..
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Tylos wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 18:15 Realy nice animation and backgrounds... Why you are using 4:3 not 16:9... I only once worked in studio... But mostly from home... Usualy they have stric rules what you have to do. And getting job is posible, but it dipends from studio needs..
@ Tylos : Sure 16:9 would be better. I did many short animation tests in different aspect ratios, and wasn't thinking the final product either. So that's why it ended up as a 4:3 aspect ratio.
Thanks for your nice comment! TVPaint made the process a lot more easier. Meantime, I still try to work on my animation skill and hope for the best!
Sloppytoons

Post by Sloppytoons »

I think the reel is quite nice. Not much to add, more just wanna compliment on nice work. Different studios look for different things. I'm sure you would pass first round in most places.
My regular IG account: Sloppybunnytoons
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

@Sloppytoons : Thank you for your nice comment! It is a big encouragement!