lame lemec's drawings!

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
lemec

Post by lemec »

ah... if only my cintiq could detect barrel rotation... I'd do that!
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Yojimbo

Re: lame lemec's drawings!

Post by Yojimbo »

lemec wrote:I'm working on my website.... Need to start making pieces for some sort of portfolio.

Here's a speed painting, 2:30...

Does that 2:30 mean 2 minutes and 30 seconds? That's some amazing speed. Also, what brushes do you use? And are you using you pallette plugin?
Last edited by Yojimbo on 05 Oct 2006, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
------
Yojimbo
The last man standing with a fist full of dollars
lemec

Post by lemec »

Heh, that's two hours and 30 minutes -- which kind of disqualifies it for a speed painting...

As for using my palette plugin -- I just can't use anything but!

I've added a few improvements to it like "brush soiling" -- which causes the brush to pick up colours underneath it as you paint over them (simulating a brush that gets dirty) and "brush loading" which causes the brush to "run out of paint" and draw fainter, less-defined strokes.

When you lift the stylus up, your brush gradually recovers like a felt marker does, and you can turn on the AutoRotate function which makes the brush rotate if you lift the stylus up, move it some distance away, and then move it back in range of the tablet -- which causes it to realign the brush based on where you moved the stylus -- this is great when used with a very flat oilbrush -- because it means you can quickly and easily realign the brush and use it like a palette knife.

These past few improvements have gone a long way towards making my paintings look less 'digital'. Here's some simple examples of the new plugin-controlled brush in use:
Attachments
cuube_01.jpg
cuube_01.jpg (27.22 KiB) Viewed 38180 times
cave_01.jpg
cave_01.jpg (32.57 KiB) Viewed 38176 times
spaceport.jpg
spaceport.jpg (44.78 KiB) Viewed 38174 times
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

How are you getting the oil brush to look so good? I have never acheieved such results with it. I love the cave painting. I definitely want to be able to do that. And you're right, it doesn't scream digital.
Last edited by Yojimbo on 05 Oct 2006, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
------
Yojimbo
lemec

Post by lemec »

It's all thanks to the palette plugin I wrote -- due to the 3 new functions I added:

"Dirt" "Load" and "Rotate"

Now, I'm not using a regular circular brush -- here are some of the specific settings:

Grain -- Medium
Size -- Constant (I resize it manually when necessary)
Power -- Pressure*
Opacity -- 100*
Light -- 1%
Aspect -- 1%
Angle -- Constant*
Step -- OFF
Drying -- ON

Okay, you probably noticed that I had Power, Opacity and Angle with a little * beside them...

That's because Power and Opacity are controlled by the palette plugin's "Brush Loading" option (see the last three checkboxes at the bottom -- which are in this unreleased version of PPalette 6.1). I don't have it flipped on that often -- but it takes the pressure of my stylus and the speed at which it travels and uses that to figure out how much to decrease the Power and Opacity during the stroke.

So basically, as I paint, the brush "runs out of paint". When I lift the stylus again, or paint lightly and slowly, the brush "recovers" as if there were a reservoir of paint in the handle of the brush, feeding it more paint.

Now the Colour is also plugin-controlled in midstroke. It uses the pressure of my stylus to determine how much of the underlying paint should "contaminate" my brush. So, the colour of my brush changes as I paint, even before I lift my stylus, and when I run over blobs of other colour, my brush gets contaminated with them and gets tinted. Again, if I lift my stylus or paint lightly, the colour gradually returns back to the original colour I chose in my colour palette plugin or whatever colour I last chose with the plugin's pressure-sensitive colour picker function.

Finally, the brush settings I've chosen are for a very flat brush -- it looks like a flat line. With this brush, I can chisel out very hard edges and define planes nicely -- but in order to do this effectively, I have to rotate the brush every so often to align it with the edges of whatever shape I'm painting. The pink cube is an excellent example of this because I'm rotating the brush so I can really get into the fine crevices and move the brush right up to the edge to ensure a flat and clean tone -- something that is very difficult with a round brush (that is better suited for even tones over smooth surfaces)

At present, most ways to manually rotate the brush involve either hotkeys or using the sliders -- and I'm a guy who likes to keep his eyes on the painting (or rather hates to take his eyes from the painting to switch tools or adjust options). So, I made the brush act as if it were locked at one angle -- but to change the angle, I just have to lift the stylus up off the tablet and make an abrupt movement in the direction I want the brush to re-align, and the plugin tracks this movement and realigns the brush for me.

This technique works well for me because it allows me to be loose over large areas, but still carve out clean edges without the worry of having to deal with hotkeys to realign my brush. It also adds a lot of variation to the colours, keeping things from looking flat and digital.

<EDIT> The "sky battle" painting was done using a circular PenBrush -- but since then, I find myself using the Oilbrush more and more...

The new functions I added were done so just a few days ago, so these functions were added to complement a technique I wanted to achieve.
Attachments
perceptualpalette_61.jpg
perceptualpalette_61.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 38177 times
fanany

Post by fanany »

lemec wrote:It's all thanks to the palette plugin I wrote -- due to the 3 new functions I added:

"Dirt" "Load" and "Rotate" ...
you know what? ... You are an incorrigible incredible brilliant Artist/Inventor !...

my 3 questions now :

- why can I find anything about these new features on your DAO/Plugins site?
... maybe a bit to early? (the last referenced PPalette is v5.5!) :?

- when a video-demo (video-tutorial) on using this improved PPalette plugin?

- regarding the PPalette Plugin's futur, what have you planed?
is it going to be separated in 2 different versions, 1 shareware, 1 commercial?
... when have you planed (if you already have) a demo vesion? ... a public release?

now you have wheted our appetite, we need more infos ! :D
lemec

Post by lemec »

I've been having my ass kicked over an influx of work -- so I'm going to have to find the time to make some release versions...

Okay, here's what I plan:

There's the freeware 5.5 version which is already out there... and that one won't change...

The registered version is one that's node-locked and requires a person to send me their dongle code -- and I compile a special unlock code for them -- but I have to talk with Hervé and discuss if it's OK for people to be sending me their unlock codes (which should probably be OK since the unlock codes are limited to the physical hardware dongle in your possession, and is useless to anyone else)

It will sell for $30.00 which would entitle you to a full year of upgrades. After that, major version releases (infrequent because amazing ideas only come out to me once in a blue moon) would range from $2.00 - $10.00

As for being able to make a movie for it -- the camcorder is out of the house -- I have to retrieve it and I hope to do that soon...
fabrice_

Post by fabrice_ »

lemec wrote:I've been having my ass kicked over an influx of work -- so I'm going to have to find the time to make some release versions...

Okay, here's what I plan:

There's the freeware 5.5 version which is already out there... and that one won't change...

The registered version is one that's node-locked and requires a person to send me their dongle code -- and I compile a special unlock code for them -- but I have to talk with Hervé and discuss if it's OK for people to be sending me their unlock codes (which should probably be OK since the unlock codes are limited to the physical hardware dongle in your possession, and is useless to anyone else)

It will sell for $30.00 which would entitle you to a full year of upgrades. After that, major version releases (infrequent because amazing ideas only come out to me once in a blue moon) would range from $2.00 - $10.00

As for being able to make a movie for it -- the camcorder is out of the house -- I have to retrieve it and I hope to do that soon...
Do you need a french/english user-manual for the registered version ? :lol: :wink: More seriously, I can help for french translations once the next coming TVPaint software will be finished.

I really hope someone will compilate it for mac users.

Fabrice Debarge / Beta-Team member / Author of the user-manual.
fanany

Post by fanany »

CA$ or US$ ?
anyway, the price seems very reasonable.
will you accept Paypal payment ? 8)
lemec

Post by lemec »

Hey Fanany -- it'll be in $USD... and yup, I do accept paypal...
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

I tried this speed Painting test with circular penbrush but I don't even have the older version of the plugin. How do I get it?

Of course I don't have my copy of the newest TV Paint yet either. I watch the mail with excitement everyday.
Attachments
Circular Penbrush test
Circular Penbrush test
Penbrush.jpg (87.98 KiB) Viewed 38101 times
------
Yojimbo
fanany

Post by fanany »

Nice and fresh lanscape, Yojimbo!
Yojimbo wrote:... I don't even have the older version of the plugin. How do I get it?
on Digital Art Oasis site, I guess .
lemec

Post by lemec »

Yojimbo >> I am in the beta test phase of the plugin, but it's also for sale for $30.00 USD (and you can get it early and participate in the beta test as well).

All I need is a screenshot of your About box and $30.00 sent via Paypal to markc@moat-dd.com

(TVPaint admins -- if there's any objection to me selling the plugin, let me know and I'll take this down immediately! (or you can edit the post yourselves))
Attachments
milahn_lores.jpg
milahn_lores.jpg (261.05 KiB) Viewed 37702 times
TVPaint
Site Admin

Post by TVPaint »

lemec wrote:(TVPaint admins -- if there's any objection to me selling the plugin, let me know and I'll take this down immediately! (or you can edit the post yourselves))
No problem :)
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Cool Lemec, I will get that for you as soon as I get home.
------
Yojimbo