Malcoonimages

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
malcooning

Malcoonimages

Post by malcooning »

some of my TVP drawings

Last edited by malcooning on 22 Sep 2010, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Malcoonimages

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Nice experiments; I like the ones with the thinner lines the best (like the third and fourth from the bottom). But that's just my preferred line width in general. I feel that fat, or heavily scribbled lines with many overlays indicate less finish, or more cover-up of underlying uncertainties, whereas thin lines indicate a higher level of drawing skills because they are so stark and can stand on their own.

The bottom one; does the sign say "Free (or release) me"?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Some of those I like, pretty good emulation of paper and dirt ...but was that faster than on paper, or did it take longer to make it look "real"?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I enjoyed the motion in them all and I really like the expression on the man's face...so subtle but readable. The dancing ? cow makes me laugh with her yellow teeth. I love how you got her softness, especially the ears. Also your mandrill variations in line are really pleasing, and the colors. I don't get some of the symbolism, but I still think they are all wonderful, each in its own way. Thanks for sharing your talent...very inspiring to me.

Oh and the Venus fly trap? Very fierce.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

thanks for your comments.
Paul Fierlinger wrote:The bottom one; does the sign say "Free (or release) me"?
it says "forgive me". close :)
slowtiger wrote:but was that faster than on paper, or did it take longer to make it look "real"?
Faster, and more flexible. of course I cannot have the whole spectrum of natural results, but in real medium I would have had to wait for any wetness to dry off first.
If it's take me longer to achieve it digitally than on paper, I would have ditched it long time ago.
Usually my meandering in TVP are in search of techniques and brushes that would allow me to me to apply a drawing QUICKLY, and with as many interesting mistakes as possible.
Sierra K Rose wrote:I don't get some of the symbolism, but I still think they are all wonderful, each in its own way.
There is no symbolism. I dislike symbolism, as it eats into my drawings. I use either metaphors, or nothing of the kind at all.
the fact that you can enjoy them on their own makes the whole point - no need to go out on a symbol-hunt. it's an unnecessary headache.
Paul Fierlinger

it says "forgive me". close :)
The picture then brings back the memory of a gravestone in Florida (close to Hemingway's gravestone actually) that says: "I told you I was sick." :D :D

I like how you differentiate a metaphor from symbolism... I feel the same way and particularly in animated films where there should be no time to ponder over such riddles; if there would be time, the story would have to be very, very slow (zzzz....). Weren't you pretty much just doodling here; seeing what you can do with some new brushes?
Paul
Mandalaholic

Post by Mandalaholic »

I really like your unique and sophisticated style. I love the Baboon's colors and texture.
Howdy Yaaaal!
Jesoped

Post by Jesoped »

Great stuff - I like them all in their own way, especially the "forgive me" illustration, very simple and graphic. The cow is funny. Very inspiring work. :D
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

I guess I have symbols and metaphors mixed up somewhat. (I thought a metaphor was a symbol...especially in graphics.)

I didn't get the metaphors either.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
Paul Fierlinger

A metaphor is when one object or story takes over the part of another object or story to give an added meaning to a thought. I have uploaded here:
www.video.paulfierlinger.com/metaphor/
an example of the way I like to use metaphors. Tulip is giving birth to puppies and I needed to simplify my work so I wouldn't have to animate the entire complicated procedure. But to keep the topic serious I added the metaphor of a "Divine Wisdom" by showing the mystery of starlings in flight.

Now if someone would want to hunt for symbolisms, one could possibly point to the package as a symbol for "gift" saying that the packaged gift is a symbol of puppies coming as a blessing, which is not what I had intended, but I know that people who like to search for symbolisms might point this out.

The clip is an H.264 mp4 and will play well with VLC or QT.
Paul
Sierra Rose

Post by Sierra Rose »

Yes, other than thinking it was a kind of symbol, I do know what a metaphor is and these are wonderful....especially the box string being the umbilical. Also the starlings are apt....it is always a wonder to watch them move as a host. Bringing her back personified again is very funny to watch along with the words in that part.
WinXP 32bit 10.0.17Pro
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul wrote:Weren't you pretty much just doodling here; seeing what you can do with some new brushes?
That's exactly what it's been.
doodling and searching.
For me, The way to the brush is the way to the drawing.
I always like finding the intention of the drawing only when it's almost finished.
In fact, when I do find the intention, I find it difficult to have a reason to continue drawing it!

Last edited by malcooning on 22 Sep 2010, 08:58, edited 2 times in total.
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

Good drawings. Keep them coming. I also like your Battle for Cable Street snippet.
There is usually always a line (or brush stroke) to be found in "uncertainty" otherwise its just rote thinking and image making.
Jules.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Watery , pencily kinds:

and a completely different one:

Last edited by malcooning on 22 Sep 2010, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.
ingie01

Post by ingie01 »

I would like to know how to post work in my topics area. Are there instructions for this? Thanks in advance.......