"Gobelins : l'école de l'image" short films

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Fabrice

"Gobelins : l'école de l'image" short films

Post by Fabrice »

Made by Rony and his friends, they are waiting your comments :)

Sorry for this very bad youtube quality, it was made in HD :D
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Re: First Film from Gobelins School made with TVP !

Post by Elodie »

Hin, comment t'es trop rapide fabrice ! Je voulais le faire hier, mais je n'ai finalement pas eu le temps =p

This movie is really amazing. I remember Rony was very bad about this film, he really thought it won't be a good one. But he's really wrong, because the work is amazing, the animation is fluent... And the story is nice ! We are very proud this team has finished it, after this long period of stress and doubt !
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Beautiful!
Love the sounddesign as well, very moody.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I quote something Rony has written on another forum :
Et oui c'est un film TVPaint!!! 4 membres du groupe sur 6 ont bossé sur TVPaint. 65% à 70% des animes est du TVPaint, le reste du "tradi" ( dont certaines commencées sur papier puis finies d'intervalé sur TVP.
100% de la couleur des persos (gardien, insectes) ont été fait sur TVP. 100% du brush(lumière et ombres sur persos) aussi à la main sur TVP. Bref un film entièrement à la main, qu'on a réanimé à la couleur sur TVP pour faire disparaitre tous les traits. Seul la lampe du phare et le bateau sont en 3D.
And yes, it's a movie made with TVPaint !!! 4 members from a group with 6 people have worked on TVPaint. The animations have been made between 65% and 70% with TVP Animation. The remaining are traditional animation (some of them have been began on paper and was inbetweened with TVPaint)
The colours is 100% made with TVPaint (the keeper, the insect). Brushes (light and shadow) has 100% TVPaint. Only the lighthouse and the ship has been made in 3D
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote:Made by Rony and his friends, they are waiting your comments :)
The high quality of the work in this film again speaks well for the Gobelins school. I like the look of the film with the monochrome, low-key colors and high-contrast moody lighting.
Congratulations to all the film maker's involved in this project.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

D.T. Nethery wrote:
Fabrice wrote:Made by Rony and his friends, they are waiting your comments :)
The high quality of the work in this film again speaks well for the Gobelins school. I like the look of the film with the monochrome, low-key colors and high-contrast moody lighting.
Congratulations to all the film maker's involved in this project.
Hi David,

It's time for a blog link exchange ;)

Here are the authors blogs :
http://ronyhotin.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://mor-row.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://mailysvallade.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://rogronbaptiste.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fabrice Debarge
matthieu.s

Post by matthieu.s »

lights and compositing are great. i also like the character design which remind me of some cool Richard Williams's Thief and the Cobler characters .
rony

Post by rony »

Hi, everybody!

Thanks for all your nice comments.
We were 6 on this film. David FRANCOIS, Jeremie MOREAU, Baptiste ROGRON, Gaëlle THIERRY, Maïlys VALLADE and I.
François DAVID and Gaëlle THIERRY hasn't got blog or website.

The music is from Romain GAULTHIER and the sound design is from Vincent HAZARD.
Romain worked on our film with a lot of fun, I think that why he did great stuff :wink:
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

The film looks and feels great. The hand drawn character animation quality shines well, and reminds me too of the better work of Richard Williams.
Sound is well shaped too, and it is overall very solid.
My main qualm is regarding the story. I think it's a banal choice, and I'm sure I have already seen 3 other short animations with exactly the same story, albeit with a different act on behalf of the mosquito.
Good effort nonetheless.
rony

Post by rony »

Thanks Malcooning.

What about the story, we're proud of it. Because student films stories are often too complicated or non-existent.
Our audience target was universal, young, old, poor, rich, fan of social story or fan of SF. We wanted to affect
as much people as we could.
I noticed that African stories are loved by a lot of people. Why? Because they are simple, short and moralist.
So I want that my films please the most of people too. And working stories by looking for the best recipe is a big pleasure :wink:
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Our audience target was universal, young, old, poor, rich, fan of social story or fan of SF. We wanted to affect
as much people as we could.
I didn't notice it, but you are right ! Everybody can understand it.
Well done :)
Fabrice Debarge
Jesoped

Post by Jesoped »

Hi Rony,

Congratulations with your short film, I absolutely loved everything about it. The story, design, light, sound, music and some of the best animation I've seen in quite a while, makes it an absolute pearl in my book.
I wish you the best of luck with it.

I noticed in the end credits the name Robert Bennett, a corporeal mime whom I not only have had the priveledge as having as a teacher, but also as a working colleague. And I was wondering if you used live action reference, and how was Robert involved in the process?

Kind regards,
Jesper
rony

Post by rony »

Hi Jesper!

Yes, Robert is one of the best teachers I met. He's funny and passionate!

We worked with Robert at the begining, after we wrote the story and just before we began the story board.
We played each sentence looking for enriching ideas and potential live action references.
We filmed it but I haven't got those videos at home! It's a shame :( They're really interesting!

Otherwise, we didn't use live action reference at the animation except for one or two scenes.

Thanks again and sorry for my bad english :?

If you have any other question, feel free!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Don't be afraid about your English Rony (which is quite well), we are all coming from different countries : France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Japan... even if there are English and American people also ^^
Gravin

Post by Gravin »

Wow!

This is a pretty amazing piece. Great story telling, atmosphere, and character design. Not to mention the technical side of the execution. How did you create the lighting effects? composting?