Animated commercial with TVP Animation - La Pera Animación

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
D.T. Nethery

Animated commercial with TVP Animation - La Pera Animación

Post by D.T. Nethery »

While searching for something else I came across this posted on the blog of animator Pablo Navarro :
"The commercial was animated mostly in TVPaint Animation Pro using a Cintiq 21x……..great combination!"
Click through the link to see the rough animation line tests and the finished commercial.

http://pablonavarro.wordpress.com/2009/ ... -y-booboo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sewie

Re: Animated commercial with TVP Animation - La Pera Animación

Post by Sewie »

I love it!
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

That guy's blog is pretty great as well.
This short film project was done with TVPaint too. But cleaned in Photoshop CS4 (?).
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

great works, indeed!
and a pity the last one (the Christmas Tree) haven't been cleaned up and colored directly in tvpa ... :|
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Sewie wrote:That guy's blog is pretty great as well.
This short film project was done with TVPaint too. But cleaned in Photoshop CS4 (?).

Yes, I was puzzled by that , too. I sent him a note via his blog asking about the workflow of animating rough in TVP , but clean-up in Photoshop. That didn't make sense to me , because it introduces a seemingly unnecessary extra step . Maybe because he had some customized brushes in Photoshop that he wanted to use for the clean-up line , but it seems to me that the same brushes could be duplicated in TVP .

Anyway, everyone has their own workflow and to each his own ... but I am curious about why they would go the extra step to clean-up in PS instead of doing the whole job in TVP.
navapalm

Post by navapalm »

Hi there!
I'm Pablo Navarro, the guy who did this jobs you're talking about.

I answered David's question on my blog about the mystery of why to use two softwares instead of only one to do animation, clean up and color.

basically it was because the clean up artists and the studio itself didn't know even that TVPaint existed!! and because of deadlines I didn't have the chance to "teach" the team of artists to use it.
So I used tvpaint for the animation, that's what makes me feel comfortable, and then I exported all to photoshop, so the director and the clean up artist felt comfortable to do their job too.

More and more I'm trying to introduce this fantastic software in the Spanish animation industry, I even did some tutorials for some studios here in Spain, but some prefer to use flash or some prefer still using paper in their workflows.......don't get me wrong I'm a traditional artist and I love animating on paper, but since I had my cintiq and there it is a software like tvpaint out there, I have to take the dust of my animation desk every week if you know what I mean ;).

Besides this commercials and freelance jobs, I'm developing my feature film project, and it is intended to be done entirely in TVPaint.

I was blow away by you job David, great blogs and website you have there!

I hope that when I find producers to get a green light with my movie, I can contact you to work on it!

ok, hope this solves the mystery!

all the best to yall!

Pablo navarro
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

I Pablo, you're welcome ! :D
navapalm wrote:...basically it was because the clean up artists and the studio itself didn't know even that TVPaint existed!! and because of deadlines I didn't have the chance to "teach" the team of artists to use it.
So I used tvpaint for the animation, that's what makes me feel comfortable, and then I exported all to photoshop, so the director and the clean up artist felt comfortable to do their job too.
It happens the same to me sometimes, when you aren't working alone and some other artists are involved in the prod. workflow, you have to manage files exchange at some steps, and the tools from one to the other are not necessary the same.
navapalm wrote:... Besides this commercials and freelance jobs, I'm developing my feature film project, and it is intended to be done entirely in TVPaint.
that's a great new !
don't forget to inform us here about it when you will be on the point to start. :)
navapalm

Post by navapalm »

Hi Guys!

Of course!!!!! I'll let you know guys if I finally get some producer interested!!!!

Thanks to you all!

Cheers!
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Hello Pablo,
Welcome on the forum, nice blog you have there, i love the rough animation clips
navapalm wrote: Besides this commercials and freelance jobs, I'm developing my feature film project, and it is intended to be done entirely in TVPaint.
Did you know about "the apple and the worm" its a feature animation that was also done in TVP.
In the previous newsletter you can find an interview with Mads Juul co director of the film and a forum regular.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
navapalm

Post by navapalm »

Hi Peter,

Thanks, I've been surfing this forums for quite a while now, all it's very interesting.

I've seen the trailer for this movie, "the apple and the worm" looks cool!

I'm familiar with Mads name, in fact I been looking to the tools he developed for tvpaint and they're great!
It's nice to see artist's with a traditional animation background working with tvpain

Thanks for the welcome!

Best to ya'll
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi there!
I'm Pablo Navarro, the guy who did this jobs you're talking about.
I'm a little bit late in this topic, but please be welcome in the TVP forum !

We are all looking forward to your future animations. :)
Fabrice Debarge
navapalm

Post by navapalm »

Hi Fabrice,

Thanks!!

I let you know when something new comes out! ;)

Cheers!
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Hi Pablo and Welcome from Paul.

What drives you into making a feature film (not in the least a trivial question?)

I just completed a feature film, all drawn paperlessly in TVP and it has even made it over the most difficult hurdle of them all; getting picked up by a distributor... but I am in no rush to getting myself into another feature production. I thought I was until I learned more about how theatrical distribution doesn't work the way it used to anymore -- it has almost ceased to exist for any film that doesn't have the promise of becoming an instant block buster and I'm not talking about just animation. The New York Times wrote a story the other day about how many traditional live action films, and very good ones, are reaching the theaters years after being completed and having run through most major film festivals with raving reviews.

I for one, am now reading up on anything I can get my eyes on about how to release a feature (or any production longer than a half hour) over the Internet because this is the way things are beginning to happen. The gist of my research has so far come down to the fact that there are almost as many ways to self distribute as there are films -- each filmmaker has to find the one that is suitable to their style of film making and caste of audience they want to match up with.

I found the direction I need to take my current film into (one hour in length, this time) and am in full swing of production without a producer, without any plans on ever seeking a distributor, or even star actors, but equipped with a lot of self discipline to pull it off without the engine of a random deadline date to keep my drive train in full gear and reach the end in a reasonable amount of time.

Would you care to share with us a bit more about what your film says and the target audience?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

navapalm wrote: ... don't get me wrong I'm a traditional artist and I love animating on paper, but since I had my cintiq and there it is a software like tvpaint out there, I have to take the dust of my animation desk every week if you know what I mean ;).
I know exactly what you mean. That describes my own working methods these days. I still have my Traditional Animation desk and I probably always will (I'm a sentimentalist) but the truth is that with the Cintiq and TVP I have only rarely done any work on paper in the last three years. Not a conscious decision or one that I would have predicted (I never used a computer for anything in animation other than to shoot a line test before 2006, I was traditional all the way) but now that is how I work now.

Thanks for answering my questions about the workflow on that project. I look forward to seeing more of your work (in TVP or traditional pencil-on-paper !) on your blog, which I have now bookmarked.

Welcome to the TVP forum !
navapalm

Post by navapalm »

Hi Paul,

Well, what it drives me to do a feature film it's that I have something to tell, an idea, that burns inside of me, and needs to get out.......I don't wanna do a movie for the fame and the glamor (it is a shame but most of the directors I know are driven by this shallow goals, plus a expectation of getting a lot of money).
I don't care to be famous I just want to tell something through what I love....animation.
I just want to do a movie that I'll love to see!

I've been working professionally in the animation business from quite a while now, 15 years already.......wow times pass by really fast! I've worked in a lot of feature films, all produced by quite big companies more or less.
I know what you mean about distribution, I experience it myself in all those feature films I worked on.......believe me that if I tell you all what we went through in those movies regarding producers and distribution.....well you wont sleep again due to the nightmares you can get from hearing those stories!!!

I'll just tell you one without names of companies ;)
Once we had a big deal with a mayor distribution company.....yeaaaaaaaa!!! we all scream!!!!!! you know what the final plan of the distributors were?!!!
They buy the project so they hide it in the shadows so it wouldn't compete with other projects they were distributing at the same time........sad but true.....result, no posters on the streets, no publicity......people didn't knew that the movie was in the theaters.......a big disaster....it makes a big studio close their doors........

But regardless to all I know about this media.....I mean all the bad things.......I keep my spirit and my energy to do something that I want to do.

But I guess Paul, it was the same since the movies became a industry......there was no better around the years where mister Warner was alive, and all the big Hollywood moguls you know......people running with the cans of movie on the middle of the night , so the studio wouldn't cut the ending of it or similar stuff.
Walt Disney itself had to loose everything to make snow white, to show everybody that animation could make a fine movie.
I thought that the old times were better too, but believe me, there it was always the same, the war between producers and directors it's an ancient one.......because one seeks the profit, the other seeks to communicate, and what happens when what you have to communicate it wasn't communicated before? well, producers gets cold feet about it......they love to stick with the "thing that works".
Take a look to this book, it's really cool, and it will make you feel like you're not alone.......I mean, you'll see that this thing was happening even before we were born ;)
Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the Sex-drugs-and Rock 'n' Roll Generation Changed Hollywood by Peter Biskind

I tasted many offers from producers, sore ones........propositions to make the script more "commercial", to add "funny" animals to the story.....to shoot everything in live action with some sidekick CG character.....well the usual you know....."the producers recipe for success".
A few years ago and still today they're asking if you can turn the story a little bit more "schreky" you know.
So when I get this kind of proposals I just remember what i want to do and HOW I want to do it......so I stick to my believes.

I prefer not to do this project than to do it wrong.

Regarding personal effort.....well I've been working in my free time since 2003 in this project, I'm working every bit of time I can spare to it!
but it is not enough.......even like you say, having a strict self discipline it's difficult......you know, I have to work to get food on the table and this breaks every concentration and discipline that I can have.....so some times I spend weeks in my project.....and I have to switch back to some payed animation job that will grant me to spend a few more weeks in the future......so......it's difficult.
producing independently? well that may be a solution, but not for me.
Why not a solution to produce without producer or without external money?
Because a high quality feature film involves a lot of artists, and they need to get payed........if I have to choose between doing my feature film based on favors of artists friends and not being able to pay them for their effort, well.....again I prefer not to do it.

Well about what my film it's all about, I don't want to reveal too much in forums (hope you understand :) ) but although I can say that it is not intended for a child audience, more like teens to adults.
the idea and the message that I wanted to tell, it's disguised in a form of a sci-fi adventure movie.......well it's not exactly that but close to it.

I know it is difficult, but there are producers out there that are willing to bet in something different.....and that's the producers I'm trying to find.
Because "different" it's the key........not copying, because the last box office success at one point was different, clouded latter by all the impersonation of that project made by "the recipe of success" we were talking about before.

I'm happy that you could make a movie in this modern-yet-all-same conditions, knowing all that we have to fight to get it done right, I applaud you!!!

Internet seems like a growing media to self distribute and stuff, but maybe I'm too old school......I don't know.......I like to see the movies in a big room with a big screen, surrounded by people who are there to believe what they are seeing, just like me.

I don't know if I answered right what you was asking......excuse me if I didn't it's just that when I talk about animation I can't help it to get carried away!

All the best!!!!

Cheers!

Pablo Navarro