Blizzard - Cinematics

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
neonnoodle

Re: Blizzard - Cinematics

Post by neonnoodle »

schwarzgrau wrote:I'm really nobody who dislikes everything CG, but often if you see a direct comparison like here the animation looses some of it dynamic.
Agreed. This is just a limitation of the current 3D medium. There are so many amazing things that can be done with a line drawing that can't easily be done with a 3D rig. For example, think about all the wonderful rhythmic linework that a good cartoonist can achieve in drawing hands--with curves against straights, exaggerated graphical statements of form that look pleasing to the eye even if they are not literally anatomical. Translating that into the 3D model isn't always possible, and the model must approximate the "gist" of the pose without the force nor the subtleties that the drawn key might bring unconsciously. More sophisticated CG animation systems allow for "breaking" the model when necessary, say, to get a really outrageous Warner Brothers type pose for a frame or two. But as far as I know, it's not common to make the model pliable on the level of graphic design--for example, making the edge of a hand angular when it's normally curvy, because it makes for a better "drawing." Plus, all this fine-grained overriding of the model is probably too expensive for game cinematics.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I guess that's it! If you like your character to be a bit overstretched in one frame you can just draw how it feels right, but in CG you have to know before animating what you will need and build a really complex rig to get at least the half of the spontaneity. Another difference (or maybe the same?) : You have to think at least some seconds how every frame has to look in hand drawn animation, while in CG you get at least some of the in-betweens for free and doesn't have to think about them, which are in some cases exactly the frames which makes the difference.

By the way I would love to see a CG-animation system which would be nearly as intuitive as hand drawn animation, or maybe a bit like claymation.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

It would be very interesting to have a stop-motion style CG program where you can only go straight-ahead. Perhaps with the new VR technologies they are making now, there will be the opportunity to create virtual stop-motion sets and animate with the VR "gloves"?
2dbert

Post by 2dbert »

Hm, but before doing digital straight ahead stop motion I'd recommend to do it traditionally analog, in order to enjoy handling all the flammable and poisonous substances and interesting materials during set and puppet making, as well as an actual puppet during animation. These can behave inexplicably stubborn at times, which calls for inventive problem solving, and isn't that a good thing?
Come to think of it, I imagine this should count for CG puppets also and in their own way. If it's impossible to mimic the virtues of drawn animation, why not give it a miss, embrace the stiffness and find virtues specific to CG (in terms of subtle and vey slow movement that is already done a lot, I'd say)
Mac OSX Version 10.9 - 2GHz Intel Core 64(? I think so at least)bit - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Yiynova MSP19U
TvPaint Animation 11.0.6 Pro
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

The funny thing is, I'm actually quite partial to the work of David OReilly, who uses a lot of intentional "glitches" and highly computer-specific quirks as part of his work. His is some of the only 3D animation that excites me or that seems especially vital, original, or unique to the medium. His work is not for everyone (it's got an occasionally shocking streak), but wow, what a creative voice!
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

2dbert wrote: Come to think of it, I imagine this should count for CG puppets also and in their own way. If it's impossible to mimic the virtues of drawn animation, why not give it a miss, embrace the stiffness and find virtues specific to CG (in terms of subtle and vey slow movement that is already done a lot, I'd say)
I just wanted to say, that this Blizzard-clips should be dynamic, but unfortunately loosing a lot of it, by translating them in the CG world, which is a pity. Otherwise I'm completely with you (and with neonnoodle it seems): CG should try to use their own visual characteristics more and not trying to imitate analoge technics. David Oreilly is surely a good example.
INSTAGRAM
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

"Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" "Silent Hill" "Resident Evil (Bio Hazard)" was A rarelity successful case of replace movie from games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgH7PzeGjw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spoiler : including Youtube movies :

We met a lot of disapointed "the original is video game" film : "Alone in the Dark" "Super Mario Bros." "SUPER STREET FIGHTER II" "HITMAN" "PRINCE OF PERSIA" ... plus "Portal" "Half-Life" /* SCREAM */
J.J. Abrams: Portal, Half-Life Movies Still Happening - IGN News - YouTube

Blizzard challanged "Warcraft the movie" by Duncan Zowie Haywood Jones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhFMIRuHAL4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sometimes using morphing picture movie (I like these voice actors work - sing a opela-tic song with unique pronounce).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmu0XXpUYog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijyMZPIsj5E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gentlemen, I agree about "every made by 3DCG" was no good, but it depends how they want to express.
Remember "Overwatch" short theaser made for full 3DCG made FPS game ad and Blizzard Entermainment has not full 2D animation creative section.

p.s.
Square Enix "Tactics Ogre : Let Us Cling Together" edition PSP theaser made by 2D hand drawing motion picture with "toon shader" 3DCG.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZrhLzMte8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

neonnoodle wrote:It would be very interesting to have a stop-motion style CG program where you can only go straight-ahead. Perhaps with the new VR technologies they are making now, there will be the opportunity to create virtual stop-motion sets and animate with the VR "gloves"?
This looks a little bit like a stop-motion approach to CG animation

INSTAGRAM