Miss Potter

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
D.T. Nethery

Miss Potter

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Today I watched the film "Miss Potter" (2006) .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Potter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are animated sequences in the film. I was interested to find out more , so searching on the internet I found this:

http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSF ... iss_potter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found that TVPaint ("Mirage/TVP 7.0") was used in the production of the animation.
"Passion Pictures got started on creating the animated illustrations. Chris Knott’s technique was an elaboration of what he developed for “Roger Rabbit”. In this pipeline, once the line animation was completed, another tier of artists would isolate areas of the drawings by producing animated, sculptural mattes. The artwork highlights and shadows could then be adjusted for the live action lighting. But in this case, rather than simply providing a structure to the drawing, these mattes were used to apply successive layers of color graded matte work. This artwork ranged from base watercolor washes to layers of animated fur and fine whisker lines. A major challenge was to maintain the look of Potter’s original illustrations. The right amount of pencil, ink and translucency had to be achieved.

I produced the initial animated watercolor washes in Bauhaus Mirage”, Knott explained. “A textured screen was prepared, then flipped, repositioned, resized and then processed on slow dissolves. The idea was that you would feel the movement rather than see it.” "
im03.jpg
im03.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
im04.jpg
im04.jpg (18.85 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 09 Feb 2018, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
lemec

Re: Miss Potter

Post by lemec »

Ah, good ol' Mirage. That was my first iteration of TVPaint software, and once I used it, I was totally hooked. Back then you couldn't turn the screen/canvas!

It's come so far!
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

I was always wondering how the 2D animation was created in this film.
I'm glad to know it's a TVPaint technology behind it. :)

Thanks for the input David.
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Fabrice wrote:I was always wondering how the 2D animation was created in this film.
I'm glad to know it's a TVPaint technology behind it. :)

Thanks for the input David.
The same here :D