A Crooked Heart 2d Game

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
MatthewTardiff

A Crooked Heart 2d Game

Post by MatthewTardiff » 26 Feb 2016, 23:42

All the animation is being created using TvPaint and Photoshop for everything else.
This is a massive art dump of final penciled backgrounds and a couple of final animations while others are very, very rough.

A Crooked Heart is an adventure about hope, love, sacrifice and death. The game will utilize Paper 2d.

The protag is a Welsh Pembroke Corgi named Lulu. There is only one other corgi in the world, a cardigan named Yodda.

The style of gameplay will sort of follow the Metroidvania, Ori and the Blind Forest format.

All art is hand drawn in Photoshop and Animated in TvPaint by me. Music and UE4 Programming will be handled by two other people.
I am working my *** off to get a demo completed by the end of the year to upload to project greenlight on Steam.
And another note, the painting of the detailed backgrounds will be broad, simple colors almost like Maurice Noble. That way the characters will pop but the backgrounds can still be appreciated.
I still have a huge amount of work to do but I wanted to show off what I have so far. I began the project around July of last year, I think.
Thanks for taking the time to browse this long, crazy thread and dealing with my disjointed, above explanation.

Everything posted is copyright Matt Tardiff
Spoiler : :

D.T. Nethery

Re: A Crooked Heart 2d Game

Post by D.T. Nethery » 27 Feb 2016, 02:09

WOW. You've been BUSY !!!

Looks very interesting. I can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for posting the WIP pencil tests.
MAC OS 10.11.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015,
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.0.6, 64bit -
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.20-8

MatthewTardiff

Post by MatthewTardiff » 27 Feb 2016, 21:14

Yes. And I'll be very busy until the demo is done and then even busier after. :lol: :D :shock:

Elodie
Site Admin

Post by Elodie » 29 Feb 2016, 08:14

How cool ! that's awesome :D
Questions or problems regarding the forum ? Please contact me by PM
Question regarding TVPaint or need a quotation ? Please contact me by email

MatthewTardiff

Post by MatthewTardiff » 02 Mar 2016, 23:00

This is a level that's about 85% complete, as far as the pencils are concerned. but at least I can move on for now to the other levels that need to be drawn

acrookedheart

A Crooked Heart 2d animated game

Post by acrookedheart » 03 Apr 2017, 12:19

I used to post here under Matt Tardiff and recently changed over to my game title, A Crooked Heart. I've been working on A Crooked Heart for a couple of years now using Photoshop for backgrounds and TvPaint for animation.
I'm handling everything in the game expect Unreal Engine programming and Music.

To help support the game I've created a Kickstarter with a 5k goal to fund The Art of A Crooked Heart volume 1. This takes all the work I've done thus far and puts it into a 58 page soft/hardback book. Even though I can't put animations in the book, I at least have some pages that have the poses broken down like Lulu's run, attack and other cycles.

Please consider supporting a fully hand drawn animated game using TvPaint by way of funding the Art of A Crooked Heart book.
Visit the link below to find out more about the project with some sample images provided.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... oked-heart
I have to reach my 5k goal by April 30th

Our heroine in the game is Lulu, a Welsh Pembroke Corgi

To get an idea of the style of animation you can expect watch the videos below will show some rough and final animations so far.
Thank you for your time.
Spoiler : :

Elodie
Site Admin

Post by Elodie » 03 Apr 2017, 13:40

Hi Matthew, welcome back !

The link to your kickstarter will be shared on our facebook ! Keep up the good art ! :D

PS : when you'll be done with the Art book, you should write another one about animating 2D effects. There are a very few books about this specific kind of animation, which is a shame !

acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart » 03 Apr 2017, 14:32

thank you, that is a great idea. My go to book is Elemental Magic by Jospeh Giiliand. As well as the magic of Michel Gagné.

But, that is a super idea, especially using TvPaint.

Thank you for sharing.

acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart » 03 Apr 2017, 14:58

D.T. Nethery wrote:
27 Feb 2016, 02:09

Looks very interesting. I can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for posting the WIP pencil tests.
Thanks David :D

schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau » 03 Apr 2017, 20:31

I really like the Verruca spit!
Mac OS X 10.11.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq 22HD
Mac OS X 10.11.6 / TVP 11.0.8 PRO / Cintiq Companion 2
SCHWARZGRAU.COM

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery » 04 Apr 2017, 17:19

acrookedheart wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 14:32
thank you, that is a great idea. My go to book is Elemental Magic by Jospeh Giiliand. As well as the magic of Michel Gagné.

But, that is a super idea, especially using TvPaint.

Thank you for sharing.

The Joe Gilland books (Elemental Magic Vol. 1 and Vol 2) are great , but there is also a recently completed book by another veteran Effects Animator (Boss Film, Baer Animation, Walt Disney Feature Animation) , my friend and colleague Mauro Maressa , Essential Effects: Water, Fire, Wind, and More , which is due to be released any day now. (pre-order is available on Amazon.com) -

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Effect ... 138101079/
Mauro Maressa was born in Italy in 1951. His family immigrated to the United States in 1959 and settled in Milford, MA, where he grew up and went to school. In 1970 he attended the New England School of Art in Boston and later attended the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and graduated with a BFA, majoring in Sculpture and with minors in Printmaking and Education in 1975.

He worked as an Art Teacher in his hometown of Milford MA. School System. After 3 years as a teacher he and his wife, Cynthia, decided to move out to California in 1978 where he hoped to enter the animation industry.

He got started out as a trainee character animator in the Disney Animation Training Program run by legendary Disney animator Eric Larson and next moved on to Hanna Barbera where he worked as a character animator on Saturday morning TV cartoons such as Godzilla, Superfriends, Scooby Doo and The Smurfs and the Hanna Barbera feature film, Heidi's Song.
In 1981 the opportunity to work with Frank Frazetta on the Ralph Bakshi production of "Fire and Ice" presented itself and he jumped at it, doing character and effects animation on that film.
Once production on "Fire and Ice" ended he returned to Disney to work on "The Black Cauldron".

In 1985 he decided to leave Disney and go into Live action special effects. Working at Richard Edlund's Boss Films Corp., as well as Perpetual Motion Pictures Studio and Dreamquest Studio, working on films such as, Poltergeist II, Big Trouble in Little China, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, and Alien III, and many others.

Baer Animation was next, working on TV commercials. Eventually returning once again to Disney in 1993 and worked there as an Effects Animator, Sequence Supervisor and Effects Supervisor/Head of Effects, on the films, Lion King, Hunchback, Hercules and many others until his last, Princess and the Frog in 2009.

Since leaving Disney, he has been freelancing on TV commercials and sculpting as a Studio Associate for Sculptor, Ron Pekar on a monumental sculpture for USC of their Mascot "Traveler" Football Legends Monument for the Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena. Presently Mauro teaches Traditional Animation courses at Otis School of Art and Design in L. A. and The Laguna School of Art and Design in Laguna, Ca.

He may be retired from the animation business but he still draws and sculpts each and every day. He just can't stop!
MAC OS 10.11.6 , Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch, Mid 2015,
2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.0.6, 64bit -
Wacom Cintiq 21 UX - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.20-8

acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart » 04 Apr 2017, 17:32

Holy crap, Thank you
I will check that out. I struggle with FX every time I start so it's always good to have a healthy source of material.

:D

acrookedheart

Post by acrookedheart » 04 Apr 2017, 17:35

acrookedheart wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 14:58
D.T. Nethery wrote:
27 Feb 2016, 02:09

Thanks David :D
And I just realized David's post was from last year.

Elodie
Site Admin

Post by Elodie » 05 Apr 2017, 05:16

Thank you David for the advice !