Revolution in coloring lineart: LazyBrush plugin V1.1 !

D.T. Nethery

Re: Revolution in coloring lineart: LazyBrush plugin release

Post by D.T. Nethery »

CartoonMonkey wrote:Where is the trial serial number? I can't get it to actually do anything beyond scribble. When I press paint, it asks for a serial..
?

I have the same problem . When I try to use LazyBrush Demo it is asking for a serial number to continue.

Also , installing Lazy Brush using the installer package didn't seem to work ... I clicked on the installer :

It says that Lazy Brush is successfully installed:

But when I open my TVPaint and go to Windows menu --- Plug Ins --- there is no Lazy Brush plug-in listed . Where did it go when it was "successfully installed" ?

Ok, so I right-clicked on the installer package and "Show Package Contents" :

Found the LazyBrush-1.0 bundle , copied it , and pasted it into my TVPaint plug-ins folder.

NOW LazyBrush appears in TVPaint when I go to Windows -- Plug-Ins -- LazyBrush1.0

But when I attempt to paint with LazyBrush it asks for a serial number before I can continue:

Please advise .

----------

EDIT: I was making my post when you replied to CartoonMonkey, explaining the situation.
lazybrush wrote:
CartoonMonkey wrote:Where is the trial serial number? I can't get it to actually do anything beyond scribble. When I press paint, it asks for a serial..
?
Right now, LazyBrush trial only works with the DEMO version of TVPaint. Therefore, if you want to try LazyBrush, you have to download TVPaint DEMO from here and open LazyBrush in the demo version. We are currently working on a new version of LazyBrush trial which will also work with regular TVPaint. This new version will be released in few days.

Oh, I see. Ok. Well, I will look forward to the new trial version that will work with regular TVPaint to be released soon. Thanks.

Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

We just bought it; what is there to loose on such a grand product? But it turns out to be a bit more complex than the tutorial lets you know. There's a scribble layer and a background/foreground layer (do you guys mean TOP and Bottom layers?) Adding a new color, erases the previous color, sometimes the color turns hot pink all on its own and the colors are made on the plugin's own designated layer -- you can't create your own color layer (?!) so you get all the colors on a single layer .... hmmm... It would be helpful to see a manual or tutorial to understand how all these layers are supposed to work with each other.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
oferk

Post by oferk »

Hi Paul, Thanks for your support.
Can you explain in more detail what were the problems with the plugin's usage?

Ill try to explain some things:
-The pink color is set automatically when you choose the BG scribble tool. This is a specific color used by the plugin to designate transparent areas.
-You can create your own color layer, but you must name it specifically like the plugin does. This is help prevent problems and mistakes.
-Do you think you would prefer creating the layer for the color yourself? What would be the benefit of it?
-Right now all the colors are on one layer, but we will add an option to distribute each color to its own layer soon.

This plugin is probably a bit complex at first, but really worth the time to learn.
Thanks
Paul Fierlinger

This plugin is probably a bit complex at first, but really worth the time to learn.
Absolutely, so I agree. :) We've made progress already and it just requires a little bit of time to understand what has to be done first and second. We even learned how to lock the plugin's layer and create our own so we know how to designate an individual layer to each color. It would be very helpful to have this automated as an option -- there are several reasons why we need each color to have it's own layer.

Otherwise, as many here know, my drawings look often like rough scribbles and your plugin has no problem dealing with it -- by all means, this will be a huge time-saver. I think it would be very helpful to all if you wrote a simple list of the order of steps needed to make this work. I am glad to hear you are interested in adapting your plugin to our remarks and needs. Keep it up; already worth the price!
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

Well, we ran into a snag. LazyBrush doesn't work with TVP's Tracker , which is the new feature that duplicates the colors of repeat (copied) frames with a name change so that repeat frames don't have to be colored all over again. This cancels out Tracker, which is one of the new features attractive to larger studios (but to us too!) If we can't have both, I would probably resort to not using Tracker, giving LazyBrush a preference, but that doesn't seem to be a reasonable solution either. Can you guys make LazyBrush cooperate with Tracker? :(
Paul
oferk

Post by oferk »

We will look into it. I didn't know this tool.
Thanks for finding the issue
lazybrush

Post by lazybrush »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:LazyBrush doesn't work with TVP's Tracker , which is the new feature that duplicates the colors of repeat (copied) frames with a name change so that repeat frames don't have to be colored all over again.
One way to achieve this is to use the Pixel Tracker together with KeyFramer on the scribbles layer. For example, you can propagate scribbles from one frame to all other frames by tracking the lineart. This process is demonstrated in the following video. Please let us know whether this approach looks useful for your situation, or if you need something different.

Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Well, we ran into a snag. LazyBrush doesn't work with TVP's Tracker , which is the new feature that duplicates the colors of repeat (copied) frames with a name change so that repeat frames don't have to be colored all over again. This cancels out Tracker, which is one of the new features attractive to larger studios (but to us too!) If we can't have both, I would probably resort to not using Tracker, giving LazyBrush a preference, but that doesn't seem to be a reasonable solution either. Can you guys make LazyBrush cooperate with Tracker? :(
Do you mean Mads-Jul Tracker tool ? Or the tool included in the animator panel ?
Fabrice Debarge
Paul Fierlinger

Do you mean Mads-Jul Tracker tool ? Or the tool included in the animator panel ?
Both.
Paul
Paul Fierlinger

Lazybrush,

What you demonstrate has so many steps, it would have to be easier to just scribble each frame individually. This is why I say that it might be easier to just scribble away each frame manually like now and we could live without the Tracker. Besides, the example you use with the running boy is overly simplistic.

Our actions and character design are far more complex to make that system work. Coming to think of it, we use Tracker perhaps only in 2 clips out of 5 or 6 and even then sporadically, so there's a chance we could live with both systems at the same time. It'll need some time to see how that's going to work.

If Sandra could paint the Tracker frames first and then somehow lock those frames so that they would be immune to the LazyBrush's deconstruction, then that might be an improvement. Any chance for that happening?
Paul
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
Both.
ok I will try, when possible.
Fabrice Debarge
oferk

Post by oferk »

It looks to me like there is a confusion here. Paul, you talk about "tracking" identical frames by name, and not actually tracking movement. It seems to me pretty simple to make sure, in the plugin, that when you draw a scribble on a named instance, that scribble will be drawn on all instances with the same name, the same for actually painting the frame
Am I correct, or maybe I missed the point?
Paul Fierlinger

Fabrice, it's quite simple; any renamed frames are ignored by LazyBrush and treated the same way as if they hadn't been changed. Try it: rename a couple of frames and copy/drag these further down the layer and past other frames that haven't been renamed. Paint the original renamed ones and advance your cursor using Tracker so that the clones down at the end of the layer will become painted automatically. Then apply LazyBrush to finish coloring all the other, not changed frames. LazyBrush will erase all the Tracker frame created colors.

EDIT: Upon rereading this, I see that I hadn't directly answered your question; so no, if you scribble on renamed frames and use Tracker, it won't work anymore on a LazyBrush layer.
Paul
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

oferk wrote:It looks to me like there is a confusion here. Paul, you talk about "tracking" identical frames by name, and not actually tracking movement. It seems to me pretty simple to make sure, in the plugin, that when you draw a scribble on a named instance, that scribble will be drawn on all instances with the same name, the same for actually painting the frame
Am I correct, or maybe I missed the point?
yes, you are 100% right.

I will talk with Daniel to see if he plans a such improvement. (but I guess he is reading us)
That said, he needs probably to do a few sales before improving the way it works.
Fabrice Debarge
Paul Fierlinger

Fabrice wrote: That said, he needs probably to do a few sales before improving the way it works.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? :|
Paul