canon plugin and Mac OS

2dbert

canon plugin and Mac OS

Post by 2dbert »

Hello there,

in the manual (chapter 19-6) it sounds like the reason for the canon plugin running on PCs only might be due to the canon powershot series' drivers running on Windows only (since the OS compatibility issue is mentioned in brackets after step one, before TVP even comes into the picture). Is this so?
I got my mitts onto a canon powershot s 95, and on canon europe's website it looks like its drivers would be supported by mac OS 9 in the meantime.
Is there any point in me giving it a try? And if so, is there one particular of the appearantely numerous available drivers that you can recommend? Which one were you using for testing it for Windows?

cheers, Moz

dammit, I put this into the wrong thread, not a feature request of course. I can't shift it over to technical support myself, can I?
Mac OSX Version 10.9 - 2GHz Intel Core 64(? I think so at least)bit - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Yiynova MSP19U
TvPaint Animation 11.0.6 Pro
Elodie

Re: canon plugin and Mac OS

Post by Elodie »

It's ok, I' moved the topic.

To be honest, plugins for Canon were developed 8 years ago and have never been improved or really followed.
The reason is simple : developing such plugins to be compatible with still cameras is very complex, especially when you can't test the hardware (we don't have any partnership with Canon).

I would advise you to choose another device if you want to grab images for line-tests.
A good one : http://www.recordexusa.com/simplicitycam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2dbert

Re: canon plugin and Mac OS

Post by 2dbert »

Hey thanks, I'll look into that.
And yes, I've heard before that neither canon nor Nikon are awfully cooperative about getting other than their own software to control their devices.
But so far I've been using an old camcorder for line testing which doesn't seem to gel with TVP, since it crashes regularly during shooting. And because now I've got one of the recommended cameras here, but work on a mac, I wondered if the "PC only" had just been a problem of the cameras driver not existing for mac at the time.
Well, I might as well give it a try, it might work better than the camcorder.
Thanks for your help,
best, Moz
Mac OSX Version 10.9 - 2GHz Intel Core 64(? I think so at least)bit - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Yiynova MSP19U
TvPaint Animation 11.0.6 Pro