TVPX names

A forum where you can suggest which features can be deleted or merged with other options.
Peter Wassink

TVPX names

Post by Peter Wassink »

when saving a tvpx panel you'r expected to fill in a
Unique name (for internal use)
and a Name for the panel.

would it be possible to make it so that "unique name" is automatically duplicated from "name" field ?
so not necessarily remove the "unique name"-textfield but just to put it under name field and let it fill up with a duplicate of this name field, that way you can always add something if you need?

i always find it a confusing panel thats asking a lot of time from the user.
i think a change like this could make it a bit friendlier
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Re: TVPX names

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

+!
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I might be wrong but I think the unique name is meant to be a name unique to the creator, not unique to each tvpx generated... so perhaps once defined, it could default, from then on, to what every unique name was last entered?

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Svengali wrote:I might be wrong but I think the unique name is meant to be a name unique to the creator, not unique to each tvpx generated... so perhaps once defined, it could default, from then on, to what every unique name was last entered?

Sven
i don't think so because for that purpose there are also the:
creator, license file, and copy right fields

a default would be good because
another thing is that the existing tvpx panels, when you want to export them again, do not remember any of this data

there is lots of room for improvement here me thinks
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

When saving a new TVPX, the Unique Name defaults to com.yourcompany.name.01 which would suggest that a company name be inserted perhaps with an incrementing number at the end for successive TVPX files.

What if the Name defaulted to the name of the custom panel being converted to TVPX?

Actually, when you update a TVPX for a custom panel that has been converted before, the previously entered information comes up as default allowing you to save over the old TVPX with one click.

Maybe TVP developers can clarify about the Unique Name entry?

Sven

As part of a new improved TVPX I'd like to be able to load more than one custom panel into the same TVPX. It could save a lot of time on both ends.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
momo

Post by momo »

+1
momo
Soom

Post by Soom »

+1
I never understood this concept with names - all panels that we share at work come up with the name My TVPX, even if the panel name in my TVPaint screen is different.
I think this has to be more simple and intuitive...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Here's a post I made a while ago explaining the different "names" when exporting a TVPx :
So, a few explanations about the different names :

In TVPaint 11 "Unique Name" has been renamed into "Identification number", which is more accurate. This "Identification number" is only seen by you (when someone install a panel, it does not appear)
Here's an example : let's say that you make a panel containing a few brushes, you export it and share it on the forum. You give it the identification number "D_Fine_Brushes", and the name "David's Awesome Brushes 1.0"

Several weeks later, you decide to add a few brushes. So you add the brushes in your panel, and when you export it, you keep the identification "D_Fine_Brushes", and as you have added something, you name it "David's Awesome Brushes 1.1".
So, when someone will download the panel and install it, here's what will happen : TVPaint will look if an existing panel has the same identification number, and if it founds one, it will consider that we are installing an update.
4. The name you give the file in the Save To path. That is, the actual file name that is saved to disk.
Sometimes, the name of the tvpx file should not be the same as the panel's name. For example, in our case of "David's Awesome Brushes 1.0", having apostrophes in a file name is not really recommanded (and some OS don't allow apostrophes in file names)...
http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?p=82534#p82534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just wanted to say that we are aware that this can be confusing and it is in our todo-list to improve it :-)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.