Hiring Clean up Artists!

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Erick

Hiring Clean up Artists!

Post by Erick »

Hello all, I'm Erick Oh, a MFA in Animation grad student at UCLA.
My films have been nominated and introduced at Annecy, Student Academy Awards, SIGGRAPH, Stuttgart Animation Festival and other major film festivals.

I'm currently working on my thesis project produced by Matt Groening (the producer of 'Simpsons', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Groening).
It's a 6 min long 2D animated film on a very large scale.(at least bigger than any other previous films of mine)
The film is basically about one main character's struggle with his own self as well as other characters in the end.
It has a huge battle scene at the climax.
The rough animation is complete and I'm at the stage of coordinating people who will perform music, design the sound and digitally clean up the rough lines.
For the sound and music's concern, professionals with lots of decent experience will be participating in the project so I'm very thrilled to work with them.

And now I'm trying to gather up a team of clean up artists who could help me out. I've been trying to hire folks locally, but unfortunately many of my peers are busy with their own projects. Due to the scale of my film, I'm quite concerned about this and was suggested by a friend to reach out to the TVPaint community.
I have six people so far and I need 2 or 3 more.
It was animated in TVPaint with a tablet and cintiq.
I'm going to pay $10 for a second (15 drawings per second) and I'm expecting each one's clean up to take from from 30 to 50 seconds.
I'm open to negotiation with budget though depending on the scene and schedule. :p
And this has to be done by May so ideally I want clean up artists to work on the project intensively for two months of March and April.
Which means I don't actually have enough time.
So the more work you complete, the more you would be able to earn.
Your name will be credited in the end.
Once the film is finished, I'll do my best to distribute the film to be exposed to lots of public out there through any opportunities all over the world.

Here is the link to my personal C.V, http://www.erickoh.com/about_me.html
You can also view my previous films here, http://www.erickoh.com/films.html

So please let me know if you are interested enough to be willing to spend just certain amount of hours on the project a day or a week, then maybe we can have fun with this.
Or if you know anybody who might be interested in working with me, please let me know as well.
I'll forward the temporary website that contains a rough animation, one finished test scene and other specific descriptions on the film to the anyone who replies.
I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!!

Erick Oh
contact@erickoh.com
http://www.erickoh.com
Attachments
heart0001.jpg
heart0001.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 15099 times
Last edited by Erick on 10 Mar 2010, 05:36, edited 4 times in total.
meslin

Re: Hiring Clean up Artists!

Post by meslin »

Hey,

I wanted to chime in and say that I'm Erick's classmate from UCLA (but now living in NYC) and participating on this project remotely. If you take a look at Erick's previous films, you might surmise (correctly, I think) that this will be another festival favorite.
I really believe in this film, and I think it's worth mentioning that the sound designer, Richard L. Anderson, does as well. You can see his IMDB listing here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027328/
He won a Special Achievement Oscar in 1982 for his work on Raiders of the Lost Ark, an award he shared with Ben Burtt, famous for making R2D2 and Wall-E speak. He had two other Oscar nominations, in 1982 for his sound work on Poltergeist and 1996 for Daylight.

Some other IMDB highlights:
Astro Boy (2009) (supervising sound editor)
Shrek the Third (2007) (supervising sound editor)
Brother Bear (2003) (supervising sound effects editor)
Being John Malkovich (1999) (supervising sound editor)
Antz (1998) (supervising sound editor)
Apollo 13 (1995) (sound effects editor)
The Lion King (1994) (supervising sound editor)
The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) (supervising sound editor)
Edward Scissorhands (1990) (supervising sound editor)
Beetle Juice (1988) (supervising sound editor)
Predator (1987) (supervising sound effects editor)
The Goonies (1985) (supervising sound editor)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (supervising sound editor)
Star Wars (1977) (sound effects editor) (uncredited)

I think it speaks loudly when an industry veteran takes on a student project. Having worked with Erick before, I can vouch for his focused leadership, and also the sweetness of the animation. I am learning a lot by doing cleanup on his drawings; I feel like a 1930s apprentice animator. Even if I am older than Erick...
Come one, come all, help us finish this film!

-David
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I've forwarded the annouce everywhere =)
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Erick wrote:... I'll forward the temporary website that contains a rough animation, one finished test scene and other specific descriptions on the film to the anyone who replies.
hi Erick, and welcome !
can you post here just a sample (a single frame) as a "before/after" exemple (rough/cleaned drawing) ?
to have a precise idea of what kind of stuff you are looking for .
are you providing a model-sheet or turn-around of the character(s) with the rough-anim to be cleaned ?
thanks and good luck.
Erick

Post by Erick »

test_2.jpg
Here's an example.
Just thin straight lines with basic pen brush tool.
Thanks.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

OK, pretty clear now.
a last question though : is this sample at real size (I mean at 100% = 800x778) ?
or in other words : what the working project's size ?
... and no coloring inside ?

oh... and what about my second question :
model-sheet (existing...?) supplied for the cleaner-volunteer ?
meslin

Post by meslin »

Hey!
Just wanted to jump in and try to answer any questions.
The TVP files are 3000x2000.
Filling the clean-up lines is part of the process.
Model sheets are provided as needed.

-David
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

The jobs have been attributed :D