This topic is dedicated to Open Beta versions. Post here your comment, bugs notifications and ideas about the Android version !
Satrip

Post by Satrip »

Merci Hervé d'avoir mis à jour la Beta Linux aussi !!!
Très bien ta fonction lissage !

Thank you very much Hervé for the Beta update, nice smooth feature ! ^^
Hervé
Site Admin

Re: 9.5.12

Post by Hervé »

:D
Hervé ADAM, TVPaint Team
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

The line smoothing feature is great but it does have a problem (at least for me).

During the stroke, it follows and smooths the path as expected. The problem comes when the pen tip is released... between the time I stop moving the stylus and the point where I pick up the tip, the smoothing continues from where the line stopped to where I picked up the tip. This ADDS a "tapering tail" to the line that I didn't intend to be there. If possible, I think the drawn line should end wherever it is when I stop drawing to pick up the point. In the example below, the smoothing value is 45 and the pen size is 9 and pressure controlled.
smoothing tail.jpg
smoothing tail.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 22091 times
Sven
Satrip

Post by Satrip »

I see your point, I though the same at first lines I traced.
I had this impression that it added an unexpected tapered end line, but after thinking twice it seems logical that the line ends exactly where the Cursor is when you stop a line, more than where line is displayed.

All the more with the "real time" smooth preview set OFF you can see your line displayed to the end while you trace, which I think can solve this "issue".
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I guess it comes down to what the smoothing function is being used for in TVPaint.
  • If it is simply meant for cleaning lines being retraced, then I might be satisfied with the current functionality (auto-finishing the line from where it stopped and where the crosshair was when the pen was lifted).

But if it is intended to provide a more general smoothing functionality while being used in freehand drawing to smooth-out (and add grace to) the flow of ALL strokes, then I really want the stroke to stop where it is when I stop moving and lift the stylus, and likewise, I would like the line's end to maintain the thickness it has when I stop moving the stylus.
With the current functionality, the line is auto-completed, auto-tapered and auto-interpolated in a straight line from where the line stopped to where I lifted my stylus (final cursor position) and becomes more visually egregious as the smoothing number value is increased.

At the very least there should be a toggle check box that permits the user to turn ON or OFF, the auto-completion/auto-interpolation from line's end to the final cursor position.

Sven
meslin

Post by meslin »

I am loving the smoothing feature, and the fact that the mechanical pencil no longer sputters when slow lines are drawn. So wonderful.
But how about the pressure and position are smoothed separately? Two activation checkboxes? I've seen this in other apps. This would solve the "unintentionally tapered end" problem.
-David
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Suddenly I think I see why the smoothing function auto-completes (the gap between the point where the line stops to where the cursor is when the stylus tip is raised). I think it may have more to do with reliably clicking interface buttons than controlling how the stroke ends... If so, I imagine the solution requiring just a few additional lines of code.

Worth noting: Lemec shows a different solution in his demo video where he refers to his smoothing function as "working like an automatic transmission" where the smoothing distance varies as the stroke accelerates or decelerates. Clever.

Sven