Trying to replicate a style to use as BG

To talk about anything else
ScottFarrell

Trying to replicate a style to use as BG

Post by ScottFarrell »

Hello, I'm working on a short done in TVPaint and I am starting to prepare the backgrounds. I love the look of this background I found online and I'm trying to figure out how to achieve this type of look so I can make my own backgrounds.

bg_20176_testcopyLighter.png
I've been trying to get a similar look but I'm a bit of a novice and wanted to hear if anyone had any suggestions. I feel like its a look I've seen a hundred times but I havent had any luck trying to make something similar to it in TVPaint or Photoshop with my limited knowledge. Might go to the art store later and get some textured paper and paint and try some washes to scan in and desaturate.

Just figured I'd ask in case I missed something simple since I've seen it a lot. Thanks!!

-Scott
slowtiger

Re: Trying to replicate a style to use as BG

Post by slowtiger »

I create textures like these from photographs. Just some interesting piece of metal, a rusty container, or some dirty poster. Over this I create a double gradient and set it to multiply. Adjust opacity to your like.

The possibilities are endless. Once I found a larger piece of black plastic and spent half a day pouring some flour on it, then treated it with brushes, damp sponges, spatulas, and so on, and photographed the results. Always try to invert the image, often that's the better texture.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I completely agree with slowtiger here. You can try to google for "cg texture" to find some starting points, but it's even better to make your own pictures, since you can manipulate them to your liking and do a lot of variations.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Sometimes, real life remains the best pattern :D
ScottFarrell

Post by ScottFarrell »

Thanks for the replies! I took out some old charcoal (probably laying in my art bin for 15 years) last night and started experimenting a bit with different paper textures and I'm getting some nice results so far. Looks like it will ultimately be the best way to go. Thanks!
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

From my experience this is the best way to do it, cause of you use real analoge techniques you get so much more lucky accidents and irregularities, which are hard to reproduce using the computer. And if you find a way to create your own textures and patterns you probably discover structures, which are less common, but look great. I for example used a paper texture from google image search back in 2008 and discovered this texture in the last few years in around 4-5 animation films. :wink:
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM