I think there needs to be an American version of TVP

To talk about anything else
VGmaster9

I think there needs to be an American version of TVP

Post by VGmaster9 »

Last year, a version of Toonz was made by a Japanese developer, called Opentoonz, which is an open source version of Toonz which is made by an Italian developer.

Point is, since the developer of TVP is French, is probably the reason why it isn't so popular in North America. However, programs like Flash/Animate CC and Toon Boom are way more popular, yet they are vector based. If there would be an American developer that could make their own version of TVP, it could probably give the software more recognition in North America, just like Japan did with OT. One big difference between the American version and the French version could be the American version having more features, such as 3d camera, 2d/3d integration, built-in compositing, particle effects, support for 8k and up, etc. Still, you would be allowed to import things from other software. It'd basically be a bit like Toon Boom Harmony and such, but still being primarily raster based and frame-by-frame like its French cousin.
Sewie

Re: I think there needs to be an American version of TVP

Post by Sewie »

One big difference between the American version and the French version could be the American version having more features, such as 3d camera, 2d/3d integration, built-in compositing, particle effects, support for 8k and up, etc.
And why exactly would the Americans have these extra features and the rest of the world not...? You believe that we don't need or use those tools?
Last edited by Sewie on 04 Mar 2017, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Point is, since the developer of TVP is French, is probably the reason why it isn't so popular in North America. ... If there would be an American developer that could make their own version of TVP, it could probably give the software more recognition in North America
And they could name it something new and really cool sounding , less French than "TVPaint" ... something like "Mirage" , yeah, that's it , "Mirage" would be a great name for an American developer to market their own version of the software more widely in North America ... or "Aura" ... I like that sound of that one , too. What do you think ? :roll:
Maybe "FlashyToonKabooom" would be a good name for the new North American TVPaint ? (seeing as how Flash and Toonboom are so popular ?) I really don't think the country of origin has anything to do with it . It's about market share and the amount of funds available for advertising.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 13:15 I really don't think the country of origin has anything to do with it . It's about market share and the amount of funds available for advertising.
Yea absolutely. If someone is interested in pixel based hand drawn animation sooner or later he will at least know there is TVpaint and that's the best choice, if not the only one. You can use Photoshop and addons like Animator's Toolbar or Anim Dessin to make it a little bit smaller pain in the ass, but there isn't any competition and too me it seems. And by the way, at least to me, it seems like TVPaint has become much more popular in the last four/five years, even animators which use Photoshop seems to mention it quite often. I don't see what TVPaint gather from it, even If I would love the name "FlashyToonKabooom".
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 »

Sewie wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 11:14 And why exactly would the Americans have these extra features and the rest of the world not...? You believe that we don't need or use those tools?
The American version would still be available worldwide.
D.T. Nethery wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 13:15 And they could name it something new and really cool sounding , less French than "TVPaint" ... something like "Mirage" , yeah, that's it , "Mirage" would be a great name for an American developer to market their own version of the software more widely in North America ... or "Aura" ... I like that sound of that one , too. What do you think ?
While I actually had another name in mind, "Equinox", I think Mirage would be perfect, as it was previously called that.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi VGmaster9,

I understand your point as you are probably new to TVPaint. Believe me : TVPaint is both used, known & popular in the US.
All major companies such as Disney, Blizzard, Blue-Sky, Warner Bros, etc. have their own licenses ... Same with schools : CalArts, Academy of Arts University, School of Visual Arts, to name a few.
There are also smaller sized studios (more focused on quality) like Tonko House.

Maybe you can't see TVPaint in the US because most of the US industry is focusing on 3D animation only. Here is maybe the problem.
But there is always 2D animation behind the scene and to do so, many people in the US use TVPaint.

About the name, if you translate roughly from english to french :
TV = "Télévision" in french.
Paint = "Peindre" in french.
The name "TVPaint" doesn't look french at all to french people. Some people in Europe still think that we are located in the US.

nb :
If you look at the TVPaint history, the country that was the most reluctant to buy TVPaint licenses was ... France. And the country that welcomed it immediately was ... USA.
Now we have a good balance between Americas, Asia, Europe. More and more productions are done "cross-continent" and it's very interesting to follow them.
Fabrice Debarge
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

VGmaster9:
Please refrain from sending me any more PMs.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

VGmaster9 wrote: 04 Mar 2017, 02:02 Last year, a version of Toonz was made by a Japanese developer, called Opentoonz, which is an open source version of Toonz which is made by an Italian developer.

Point is, since the developer of TVP is French, is probably the reason why it isn't so popular in North America. However, programs like Flash/Animate CC and Toon Boom are way more popular, yet they are vector based. If there would be an American developer that could make their own version of TVP, it could probably give the software more recognition in North America, just like Japan did with OT. One big difference between the American version and the French version could be the American version having more features, such as 3d camera, 2d/3d integration, built-in compositing, particle effects, support for 8k and up, etc. Still, you would be allowed to import things from other software. It'd basically be a bit like Toon Boom Harmony and such, but still being primarily raster based and frame-by-frame like its French cousin.
I don't see the connection between OpenToonz and increased popularity and functionality in an American version of TVPaint. The impetus behind awareness of OpenToonz is that it is free and open source. The version of Toonz that became open source includes less features than the origin software.

I am new to TVPaint just having acquired a pro license last month after experimenting with the trial and viewing a bunch tutorials but so far I have not encountered any hindrance attributable to country of origin. The interface and process seems as American/English-friendly as could be. The documentation and tutorials are available in English.

I frequently see or hear TVPaint mentioned when hand drawn frame-by-frame animation software is the topic. I suspect people with the void to fill would learn of it easily. I am just a hobbyist and I learned of it as quickly as I learned of Toon Boom and Flash.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro