Traditional animation and 2d computer animation: Should there be a difference?

To talk about anything else
VGmaster9

Traditional animation and 2d computer animation: Should there be a difference?

Post by VGmaster9 »

One can easily tell the difference between traditional animation and computer animation, the latter is done with pencil and paper and the latter is done with computers. However, there seems to be a misconception that computer animation is just 3d and that anything with a 2d look is traditional. I think there should be a big difference between traditional animation and 2d animation done on computers. I don't think many people would consider Flash animation to be traditional, as it is only done on computers. The same goes for other software like TVPaint and Toon Boom, unless the animation is traditionally drawn and then scanned and imported to the said software. If 2d is done with pencil and paper, then it's traditional animation, and if it's done with a stylus and Wacom tablet, then it's computer animation. Computer animation can be both 3d and 2d.
neonnoodle

Re: Traditional animation and 2d computer animation: Should there be a difference?

Post by neonnoodle »

I don't understand these continual threads about animation software, the naming of the software, the terminology, the feature sets, even the nationality of the software!

Most of the folks using TVP are working to get things done and have less interest in these abstract philosophical discussions. It is not as if there is a grand global council of animation that decides any of these things. You can call things whatever you like.
Elodie

Re: Traditional animation and 2d computer animation: Should there be a difference?

Post by Elodie »

VGmaster, I think we all understood that you are just a sympathetic dude who loves animation. That's nice, but TVPaint forum is not a subsitute for Quora.
I am sorry for what I am about say, but your numerous threads tend to be annoying. Instead of asking subjective questions that cannot have any ultimate answer, you should better spend your time in something useful, like actually animating !
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

I'm also not interested in the topic, but who cares? But I don't understand why neonnoodle, slowtiger (in the other thread) and Elodie post her just to say that they don't care or even that two or three threads with some topic, which don't interest you is already annoying.
These are topics which seem to interest VGmaster9 and obviously you're not interested, but I don't get the point in posting this, other than killing every potential discussion.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Because his behaviour is actually flooding the forum.

Today it's about traditional animation, CGI, whatever and tomorrow, what ? What is the best film or what is the chair you use to sit on all day to make beautiful drawings ? TVPaint forums is not there to replace Yahoo Questions or Quora.... (up to 60 questions ...)
It is made for TVPaint users who has questions either relative to the use of the software or their workaround and their workflows.

I don't like to ban people or delete topics, but since I am one of the admins of this forum this is also my right to warn a user when its behaviour is annoying other users.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Elodie wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 07:48 Because his behaviour is actually flooding the forum.
Three or four threads allready flooding the forum?
Elodie wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 07:48 It is made for TVPaint users who has questions either relative to the use of the software or their workaround and their workflows.
This threads are in the Off Topic section, I don't see how anyone (except slowtiger and neonnoodle) can be annoyed by this. Here are so many threads which don't interest me, but I still don't get why it should upset me enough to post about it or even threaten someone with a ban.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

schwarzgrau wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 22:11 I'm also not interested in the topic, but who cares? But I don't understand why neonnoodle, slowtiger (in the other thread) and Elodie post her just to say that they don't care or even that two or three threads with some topic, which don't interest you is already annoying.
These are topics which seem to interest VGmaster9 and obviously you're not interested, but I don't get the point in posting this, other than killing every potential discussion.
I take your point. It is a big internet and I suppose I don't have to get agitated about it. Elodie's concerns, of course, relate to keeping the forum orderly, and I defer to the moderators here.