I made a tool to help you estimate animation costs

To talk about anything else
Itsoncraft

I made a tool to help you estimate animation costs

Post by Itsoncraft »

It's overwhelming to start from scratch, it’s hard to price yourself and independent projects and if you don’t have experience you have to collect data from many sources to get started.

So I thought, hey, let's create a tool that makes it easy to start getting a sense of how much a project will cost and how many weeks of production it'll be.

I just launched it but would love to get your guys' feedback. So any thoughts are more than welcome!

Here's the url: http://www.animpricer.com

Looking forward to hear what you think and if it's useful to you!

- Emil
Fabrice

Re: I made a tool to help you estimate animation costs

Post by Fabrice »

hello,

First, I confirm to the people who asked me in PM that it's not a spam. It's an interesting link about animation, created by the "itsoncraft" team.

Second, I edited the link which was broken.
Fabrice Debarge
Itsoncraft

Post by Itsoncraft »

Hey Fabrice,

Thank you for letting me know. Didn't know this came off as spam, nor that the link was broken:/.

At any rate, thanks and looking forward to hear some feedback. Hope it's useful to people.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Nice idea ! However, I see it's not working well on Android (I can't move cursors on slides). I'll try it on my computer as soon as I'll be in the office
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I think a few things should be improved, but the basics are good and interesting.

For example :
• costs won't be the same if it's 2D cut-out, 2D traditional, 3D or stop motion

• What level of polish and detail will you do?
Low, medium, high are too subjective, there might be something more obvious, like "clean up and flat colors" "shadows" "textures" etc... or more information about the characters "basic shapes" "cartoon" "realistic" etc.

• When should your project be completed?
Anytime / ASAP : give a real duration (1 month, 3 months, 6 months,...)

• How fluent will the animation in your project be?
again, real values : 6fps, 8fps, 12 fps, 15 fps, 24 fps

However, the calculation is good : I did the test for Journey Through Creativity and results were correct :)
Itsoncraft

Post by Itsoncraft »

Thanks Elodie for the feedback, think I agree on all raised points. We'll make an update soon :)

And weird about Android, will look into that.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You're welcome ! Again, this idea is great and despite the "lack" of precision, results are quite acurate, so congratulations and keep up the good job !
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Itsoncraft wrote: 05 May 2017, 17:05 It's overwhelming to start from scratch, it’s hard to price yourself and independent projects and if you don’t have experience you have to collect data from many sources to get started.

So I thought, hey, let's create a tool that makes it easy to start getting a sense of how much a project will cost and how many weeks of production it'll be.

I just launched it but would love to get your guys' feedback. So any thoughts are more than welcome!

Here's the url: http://www.animpricer.com

Looking forward to hear what you think and if it's useful to you!

- Emil

Thank you , Emil. This is much needed tool (getting REAL information about budgeting and production planning is very rare).
As Elodie pointed out , there are some things that could be refined to make the numbers more accurate , but this is a very good start .

-David

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1