Hej Stylus! line smoothing software

To talk about anything else
D.T. Nethery

Hej Stylus! line smoothing software

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Has anyone tried Hej Stylus! https://hejstylus.com/ with TVPaint ? Maybe it is redundant since TVPaint already has Line Smoothing function and Brush parameters can be tweaked , but someone told me about Hej Stylus as a "Mac version of Lazy Nezumi" , so I'm curious if anyone has tried it. It's not expensive (only $15.00) so I may just buy it to try it out .

However, if anyone has tried it and says: "No, it's a waste of time , doesn't work well with TVPaint" , then I'd appreciate the warning .
2 POSITION SMOOTHING METHODS
PRESSURE SMOOTHING AND BUFFERING
INSTANT PRESSURE MAPPING
EXCHANGEABLE PRESETS
TILT AND ROTATION SMOOTHING
WORKING WITH ANY ART SOFTWARE ON A MAC

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
frameweaver

Re: Hej Stylus! line smoothing software

Post by frameweaver »

Just wanted to mention that I've been using the most current version of Hej Stylus! V 3.4, and I actually prefer it to the built-in line smoothing of TVPaint.

It has different presets, and you can also create your own presets, but I use just the built-in ones, in particular the Tighter Sketcher II and the Fast Natural. It's really helpful, as I use a regular non-graphic tablet, and it helps me draw more accurately. :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thank you for your input about Hej Stylus!

I will admit I had forgotten all about it in the two years since I posted this ,but now I think that will look into it again.

I recently had a student tell me she was no longer going to use TVPaint for clean-up on her thesis film because she found the line-smoothing in Clip Studio Paint EX worked so much better than TVPaint line smoothing . So now I want to try Hej Stylus again .

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I finally purchased Hej Stylus! and I like it very much . It works very well in TVPaint 11.0.8 (and in Photoshop CC 2019 which I occasionally used for certain tasks).

One thing I notice about it is that it will sometimes interfere with certain functions within the interface (such as resizing a brush , or moving a layer) if the line smoothing is enabled, so I use a keyboard shortcut to enable and disable Hej Stylus! as needed . If I need it to stabilize a line I'll enable it , then disable it after I'm finished with it . It's easy with the keyboard shortcut . Just don't forget to do that , or you might notice some odd behavior.

https://hejstylus.com/

https://vimeo.com/341816837