Any good example using TVPaint for games?

To talk about anything else
lam giang

Any good example using TVPaint for games?

Post by lam giang »

Hello morning/evening!

This is a odd question. TVPaint is made for film animation. I just curious if there is example or anyone use the program for game development? Such as endless running game? Fighting game? RPG game? Thank you!
D.T. Nethery

Re: Any good example using TVPaint for games?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

lam giang wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 16:11 Hello morning/evening!

This is a odd question. TVPaint is made for film animation. I just curious if there is example or anyone use the program for game development? Such as endless running game? Fighting game? RPG game? Thank you!
I remember this one from a few years ago:

https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/arti ... h%20Studio

This was animated in TVPaint:

-------

I first found TVPaint through a game studio although we didn't use TVPaint for the game I worked on, but we might have if things had turned out differently. I worked as the Artistic Coordinator and Head of Clean-Up on an arcade game called "The Act" , which was animated traditionally with pencil on paper , scanned the drawings into ANIMO , color and compositing in ANIMO. We were looking to make the next installment all paperless , so were testing out different systems: Flash , Toonboom, and Mirage (aka TVPaint v.7) The one that made the best impression on me was Mirage . If we had continued I think we would have used Mirage/TVPaint . I bought my own personal copy of it to use at home as well as at work ... unfortunately the studio closed not long after that and we never made another installment of the game. That was in 2006 . Before then I was a total traditional pencil and paper animator , had never touched a computer to do artwork (not counting digital ink & paint and compositing in ANIMO) , but I mean to do actual drawing , painting , and animating with a tablet in a digital program.

http://theactgame.com/

(Several years after the game studio, Cecropia Games, closed , "The Act" was purchased by a different company and re-packaged to play on iPad.
So that is why the copyright notice on the video above says "2012" ... we started R & D on the "The Act" in 2004 , most of the production was done from late 2004 - to - mid- 2006 most of the animation staff was laid off at that point ... a handful of us were kept on through the end of 2006 to work on development . That's when I was introduced to Mirage/TVPaint as I was attempting to come up with a paperless pipeline for the next game.)

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

TVPaint was used in "A Crooked Heart"
http://tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9738

From TVPaint's Facebook post on 9/14:
"Floor Kids" on the Nintendo Switch
http://www.floorkids.com/
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Dec 5, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Sorry guys for a late reply, thanks for giving me the examples.
These games are great references. I did spend time to find out more on each of them. A Crooked Heart's art is very charming, really like the art book of it. All these three games are very unique in style. I played The Act awhile back when it first came out on iPhone. It had great visual and animation. It was a short and fun experiences (Some levels/Puzzles like pleasing the lady if I remember it right (?) took me awhile to get through). I can't believe I am talking with one of the creator of this game and finding out a bit of the development story of. :D
Floor Kid seems fun as well. Small world, the animator of this game Jonathan Ng was promoting and showing his film Requiem of Romance in Animation Show of Show at San Jose State University, CA. I was an audience and admirer of all the film makers there...
The reason I brought up this discussion because I was trying to do some simple game loop animations in TVPaint. I want to test my possibilities and learn from different case studies...
Again, appreciate you guys' help @ N.T. Nethery & @ Cardin Collins
Here is my simple test just for fun :)

http://gph.is/2xqaZLM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Do not forget about Gigglebug, a transmedia project with 3 apps, a TV series (2 seasons), 3 books and couple of other projects around.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6967
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Yes, thumbs up! the behind the scene videos are great!
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

The Gigglebug team are incredible. Really knocking it out of the park on so many levels. Beautiful stuff.
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

That looks fantastic, Lam. A Zelda-like Action-RPG I presume.

Is this gif in-game or a mock-up created in TVPaint? Are you using Unity, Unreal, GM:Studio, or another game engine?
Last edited by Cardin on 27 Sep 2017, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Dec 5, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

@Cardin Collins : Thank you! This is a visual mock-up in TVPaint :/. I am just start looking into different game engines. I am mostly just curious, don't have any game project going on yet. But I like to learn/do loop animations and tiling for map. There are two engines I want to learn more about Unreal and Game Maker Studio 2 (ISO available). It is kinda overwhelming for me now to learn about events, classes...but seems interesting tho.
VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 »

I dunno if the game Cuphead counts, while it was drawn and inked on paper and colored on Photoshop, it was scanned on TVP.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

VGmaster, do you have any reliable source about the use of TVPaint in the making of Cuphead ?
VGmaster9

Post by VGmaster9 »

Elodie wrote: 05 Oct 2017, 05:19 VGmaster, do you have any reliable source about the use of TVPaint in the making of Cuphead ?
I asked on Cartoon Brew if it was animated with Toon Boom, and someone said, "It was drawn and inked on paper, colored in photoshop, then assembled in tv paint. Though some animators used something else. I guess toon boom could be a possibility, but I don't think they specifically mention it."
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Thanks ! :)
Edit : Ok, the director said it in the video at 18'56 :

lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Yay! more and more people are using TVP!

It is a beautiful game! I am really lucky to know and see Hanna Abi-Hanna's works on this game. He is a wonderful animator (http://habihanna.blogspot.com). He used papers to animate :).
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

VGmaster9 wrote: 05 Oct 2017, 06:18
Elodie wrote: 05 Oct 2017, 05:19 VGmaster, do you have any reliable source about the use of TVPaint in the making of Cuphead ?
I asked on Cartoon Brew if it was animated with Toon Boom, and someone said, "It was drawn and inked on paper, colored in photoshop, then assembled in tv paint. Though some animators used something else. I guess toon boom could be a possibility, but I don't think they specifically mention it."
Several of the animators who worked on Cuphead are former students at the University where I teach. They're familiar with TVPaint . I wasn't aware of the Cuphead pipeline to "color in Photoshop, assemble in TVPaint " ... seems like an unnecessary extra step to me (why color in Photoshop when you can do it more easily in TVPaint ?) but to each his own ...

-DN

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1