Any good example using TVPaint for games?

To talk about anything else
Elodie

Re: Any good example using TVPaint for games?

Post by Elodie »

According to the video, TVPaint was used for line testing. To me, it sounds a little like using a Ferrari to do your groceries, but who am I to judge ? :P

Anyway, the result is still gorgeous and I can't wait to test the game this week-end :)
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote: 06 Oct 2017, 06:05 According to the video, TVPaint was used for line testing. To me, it sounds a little like using a Ferrari to do your groceries, but who am I to judge ? :P
I find this frequently with some of my students and even some professionals I know. Using Photoshop to do everything is so deeply ingrained in them, they will tell me they draw their animation in TVPaint (or animate on paper , then scan the drawings to TVPaint for line testing ) , but then for coloring they export all drawings to Photoshop for coloring , then composite their colored animation drawings with the background (painted in Photoshop, not TVPaint :roll: ) in AfterEffects. I ask: "Why do all those extra steps when you can color everything faster in TVPaint ?" (and paint the BGs in TVPaint and then everything is all composited in one program.) " The answer is usually something vague , such as: "Well, I'm used to coloring in Photoshop, so that is how I know how to color faster. I don't know how the coloring tools work in TVPaint." Me: "Did you ever read the user manual on how to color in TVPaint ? The Paintbucket is very much the same as in Photoshop and the CTG coloring is something Photoshop does not have and will help you go faster ." Student: "No , I don't have time to read the user manual." Me: "Did you watch the video tutorials ?" Student: "Oh, are there video tutorials ?" But anyway I will just use Photoshop because I understand how to use the tools better for coloring in Photoshop". Me: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I think there are two human types : the one who embraces changes with open arms and the one who doesn't want to get out of their comfort zone. And breaking your habits to learn new gestures is actually quitting your comfort zone. And it has nothing to deal with age !

When I was a student myself and I discovered TVPaint, all my fellows were animating on paper / line-testing in Toki (or worse : on a very old software whose I can't recall the name that was on Amstrad -yes sir, in 2006- :mrgreen: ) / scanning, cleaning and colouring on Photoshop / compositing in After Effects / editing in Premiere.
My group worked like 90% in TVPaint (we all had our licenses) and we've been the only group to finish our graduation film 1 week in advance, without sleepless nights... :roll:
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

All of my students knew PS, and some even some other animation programs, so I expected some reservations. But I trained them the basics over and over, until after about 2 weeks they felt comfortable with TVP as well.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

Even though they don't use TVP with its full function, people do aware of TVP and want to incorporate in their production pipeline. At least, it is a starting point. :)

I think in the moment there are more photoshop painting tutorials, trick and tips that students could reference and see their end goal might look like in their film. Most of my friends and including me still associate TVP as an animation software than a painting software. Before, I did the same thing just like other students mentioned. Luckily, TVP has more tutorials available for the past two years, I am slowly leaning to TVP to do my paintings. I think we just need to show more amazing painting examples on youtube, soon or later people will learn how to use TVP's painting tools and see TVP not just an animation software.

On my Part, I will let people know what softwares I use in my art, to get more awareness. :D
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Yes, you're right, it's a good starting point :D

Actually, I do understand why people would use PS for backgrounds, for PS have some features that make it more comfortable to use for that purpose (selections, the ability to move layer out of the canvas, etc...). I think it actually depends on the way you work : if you are more used to "traditional" painting, you'll get used to TVPaint faster than if you're used to "paint and retouch" in PS.

Back to the subject : Cuphead is genuinely crazy ! both animations and musics are awesome, and the game will make you mad. :mrgreen: Well done Studio MDHR !
agorandy

Post by agorandy »

Yes, TV Paint permits a real gain of time and creativity in the pipeline :D . I use it for the designs and animations of the applications (games) of our start-up, Crazy Frie.

I have drawn the illustrations of "Stupid Quest" with TVP because the nice feeling of the brushes offers a great freedom in the line. That helps to put personality in the clean up process.
The traditional animations of the game are also made with TVP, and I am now using it for the storyboard of our next application.
SQ_Screenshot2_EN.jpg
SQ_Screenshot3_EN.jpg

The trailer : [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQozvn4MUY[/youtube]

The introduction animated in TVP can be watched in the demo (sorry,we didn't show it out of the app) : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Demo&hl=fr
(included English and french versions)
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

@agorandy : Thanks sharing! Will check it out later today!
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

And the game was funny as hell :mrgreen: Congratulations again !
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

The characters are funny! Really like the teaser.
I can't find it on IOS store. I guess it is Google Play for now...
Thanks sharing!
arty93

Post by arty93 »

Thanks for the English demo!
Yesterday I asked my sister, is she going to play online there. I told her about the difference between mobile online games and book-of-ra-play-com. She got everything right. Now she knows.
Animationriver

Post by Animationriver »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 17:39
lam giang wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 16:11 Hello morning/evening!

This is a odd question. TVPaint is made for film animation. I just curious if there is example or anyone use the program for game development? Such as endless running game? Fighting game? RPG game? Thank you!
I remember this one from a few years ago:

https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/arti ... h%20Studio

This was animated in TVPaint:

-------

I first found TVPaint through a game studio although we didn't use TVPaint for the game I worked on, but we might have if things had turned out differently. I worked as the Artistic Coordinator and Head of Clean-Up on an arcade game called "The Act" , which was animated traditionally with pencil on paper , scanned the drawings into ANIMO , color and compositing in ANIMO. We were looking to make the next installment all paperless , so were testing out different systems: Flash , Toonboom, and Mirage (aka TVPaint v.7) The one that made the best impression on me was Mirage . If we had continued I think we would have used Mirage/TVPaint . I bought my own personal copy of it to use at home as well as at work ... unfortunately the studio closed not long after that and we never made another installment of the game. That was in 2006 . Before then I was a total traditional pencil and paper animator , had never touched a computer to do artwork (not counting digital ink & paint and compositing in ANIMO) , but I mean to do actual drawing , painting , and animating with a tablet in a digital program.

http://theactgame.com/

(Several years after the game studio, Cecropia Games, closed , "The Act" was purchased by a different company and re-packaged to play on iPad.
So that is why the copyright notice on the video above says "2012" ... we started R & D on the "The Act" in 2004 , most of the production was done from late 2004 - to - mid- 2006 most of the animation staff was laid off at that point ... a handful of us were kept on through the end of 2006 to work on development . That's when I was introduced to Mirage/TVPaint as I was attempting to come up with a paperless pipeline for the next game.)
My teacher drew animation for the game "The act" ))
www.youtube.com/c/animationriver
MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6 64 bits , MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 Мb
Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD Touch - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.37-2
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

"Furushil" (Paul Schwarz) in this forum worked on the game "Deponia 2" :

https://vimeo.com/80182700

https://vimeo.com/57475730
Fabrice Debarge
lam giang

Post by lam giang »

thanks sharing Fabrice! really like the art style and the world of this game. The humor is so good! I remember I saw this game awhile when I was looking through some point and click adventure games and was so amazed by it. Very good animation!
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Animationriver wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 12:04
My teacher drew animation for the game "The act" ))
Is your teacher Sasha Dorogov ? I'm going to be talking with him on Skype tomorrow ! He is a great animator and a great teacher of animation.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1