Tablet options - Why Intuos over Cintiq ?

To talk about anything else

Tablet preferences - Intuos, Cintiq, Tablet PC, or Other ?

Cintiq 21WX
36%
Cintiq 12UX
2%
Intuos 3
26%
Intuos 4
26%
Tablet PC or Modbook (Mac)
5%
Other (VisTablet, Aiptek, DigiPro, etc.)
5%

Total votes: 42

User767

Re: Tablet options - Why Intuos over Cintiq ?

Post by User767 »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:I see that all the cintiqs still use that crayon-shaped, dull and fat ending of its pen that bothered me so much because of the way it obstructs the view of the tip when drawing in many cases. Doesn't this bother anyone else?
Bothers me too. You can purchase a slimmer pen from them though-which alleviates the problem.

I use Intuos and Graphire-depending. The Graphire has less plastic around the the active area, so is a bit nicer for laptop use (though I guess they're discontinued anyway). Don't like the Cintiq experience. While it's nicer to be able to draw on what you're drawing, the Cintiq has enough small annoyances that I prefer the disconnect between hand and screen.

Also noticed that the color fidelity and brightness of the Cintiq is vastly different from a 'good' monitor.
>formerly User 767: "It seems your login has been deleted. Your login being a little strange, maybe you have written a strange post and we thought your were a bot."
Heaven forbid that an animator might be 'strange'
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

User767 wrote:...
Also noticed that the color fidelity and brightness of the Cintiq is vastly different from a 'good' monitor.
can't it be home-calibrated, just like any other monitor, by using a colorimeter and its dedicated software ?
User767

Post by User767 »

Yes, it can be calibrated- but it's still not as good as a good monitor, nor is the color quality as good.

Regardless of what you do, if a monitor can't display a clean black, it can't display it. Same goes for color accuracy, saturation, etc. That's the realm that the Cintiq falls into. Not that it's a bad monitor, but it certainly doesn't display the same color gamut and contrast ratio that my desktop monitor does (and with both calibrated, it's a noticeable difference)
>formerly User 767: "It seems your login has been deleted. Your login being a little strange, maybe you have written a strange post and we thought your were a bot."
Heaven forbid that an animator might be 'strange'
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:I see that all the cintiqs still use that crayon-shaped, dull and fat ending of its pen that bothered me so much because of the way it obstructs the view of the tip when drawing in many cases. Doesn't this bother anyone else?
I had not noticed . My Cintiq pen is the identical size and shape of my Intuous 3 pen. This is the style of pen that came in the box with the Intuous 3
(and the Cintiq) -

"This pen is for use on Intuos3, Cintiq 21UX, Cintiq 20WSX & Cintiq 12WX tablets and will not work on Intuos or Intuos2 tablets."
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

The grip pen, indeed...! That's a real improvement (followed by free software) though my favorite will always remain the Classic and that's probably because most of the time I am a finger-tickler and a thin pen feels the best for tickling. Maybe this is also why I like to have a slippery surface more than anything else I have ever drawn on. Wacom should really consider offering several different overlay surfaces for artists to choose from, and to take an example from their free software, at no extra cost.

I forgot to mention one more thing I like about the Intuos tablet, which is that there are times when I need to lean back with an outstretched arm and draw the way painters paint with an eye as far from the canvas as possible. It has something to do with the combination of my tablet laying flat on the desk while the monitor is slanted upright and further away that makes this drawing technique different from all the others I have experienced, including drawing on paper.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Paul Fierlinger

Another Wacom4 bummer: individual pens remember their individual (last) settings; not true anymore. :evil:
Paul
hisko

Post by hisko »

I just ordered the cintiq 21 for 1259 euro's + vat.
Finally it's affordable for me. I'll let you know what I think about it soon.
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Another Wacom4 bummer: individual pens remember their individual (last) settings; not true anymore. :evil:
Paul, does your Intuos3 pen work on the Intuos4 tablet?
Paul Fierlinger

Unfortunately not... I don't think Wacom will ever have that happen; by now we must have gone through a collection of pens that amount to a larger expense than the tablets themselves. I give them away to students who have older tablets.
Paul
Stefantchernev

Post by Stefantchernev »

Hello
Can you tell me for 2D animation what is the best L or M i talk about Intous4 and I'm new in this 2d computer stuff so can you help me :)
Paul Fierlinger

Much depends on how much desk space you have available for your tablet and how you draw; are you a swooping forearm person when you draw, or a wrist person, or finger tickling person. Next, it depends on how you intend to map your tablet's space; do you want to map out only the area where you draw, or the entire tablet to cover your entire display and whether you have a single monitor or dual or more.

Since you say you are new to this and have no way of knowing the answers to half these questions, my recommendation for you is to go for the medium size. Large sizes are designed for technical users, such as machine designers or architects. The small tablets are used by people who do most of their work on a laptop.

Once you get your tablet, come back here and we can help you out with setting up your preferences in the Intuos software.

The topic of Intuos or Cintiq has been covered here on several threads so I suggest you search those out first, using the search window above on the right.
Paul
Animark

Post by Animark »

Hello Stefantchernev,

mostly I use a cintiq but have also some experience with different tablet sizes. In the beginning I loved to use a small one, later I added a M sized and now I have a workshop, where I use sometimes a large one. My suggestion is to use the M size. The small one is OK for coloring or photo retouching, on the big one I have to move the pen on longer distances as I like to. After all, I use all 3 sizes, but I would prefer the middle one for every situation.

Anyway, I am most happy about my cintiq ;-).
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Stefantchernev

Post by Stefantchernev »

Thank you all for the help ... you make my choice easier and more right thank you for that :)
Regards
Stefantchernev

Post by Stefantchernev »

hello to every one
I have intous4 M everything works fine but canvas rotation and cycle layers don't work on PS CS5 can you help me what can be a problem.... I'm new with photoshop and the tablet (just got it week before) and i don't understand anything only control panel wacom tablet properties please help me :)
thank you for listening me
regards
Stefantchernev

Post by Stefantchernev »

I use Windows Xp if this can help somehow