Acting out.

To talk about anything else
Rik Jurriaans

Acting out.

Post by Rik Jurriaans »

Hee people,

Do you guys act out a scene on camera before you go out and animate the scene?
In other words do you create video reference of yourself acting the scene before you start animating?

Regards Rik
Im sorry for the bad spelling.
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Acting out.

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I always see myself in my head acting the poses or certain moves and actually have a strong sense of my own muscles I would be using on the parts that I am working on. On rare occasions I'll look in a mirror but I can't even remember when I last did that (it could have been the day before yesterday that I wouldn't remember :| ) but I see nothing wrong with videotaping. Personally I have strong reservations against rotoscoping and would draw the line there. The problem though with even just copying from a video without actually tracing any of the frames is that it often comes out looking too close to rotoscoping, thus appearing unskillful. I strongly recommend to my students that they use such videos just to eyeball the action but to put it away before plotting out the key drawings from memory.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Most stuff I do right from my mind, but when it gets complicated, I act it out a bit (mostly steps and turns). I did some video outside with runs and jumps for reference. Rotoscoping I reserve only for very strange stuff, like elephants.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Rik Jurriaans

Post by Rik Jurriaans »

Thanks,

I didn't mean rotoscoping. I meant using the video reference like paul tells to his students. Putting the ref away when you start drawing and using it for research onely.
Im sorry for the bad spelling.