Scanner Recommendations?

To talk about anything else
Gochris1

Scanner Recommendations?

Post by Gochris1 »

Hello!

Even though I use a Cintiq, I have found that I would also like to scan drawings on paper into TV Paint.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a scanner? I use Windows 7 and I do not need automatic paper feed.
(But if your scanner has an automatic paper feed and works well with TVP, please let me know about it.)

I would especially like to find a scanner that scans 11 inches X 17 inches that costs less than 1,000 dollars US.

I am looking at the Mustek A3 2400S. Has anyone used it?

Thanks for your help!
D.T. Nethery

Re: Scanner Recommendations?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

would especially like to find a scanner that scans 11 inches X 17 inches that costs less than 1,000 dollars US.
There is where it gets tricky.

Most good 11 x 17 scanners cost more than $1,000 . The Epson Expression 10000XL is an excellent 11 x 17 scanner that I have personal experience with using and would recommend , but it starts at around $2,500 (without the ADF attachment; costs more with the ADF) . There are also a number of 11 x 17 high-production scanners made by Fujitsu , but those start at around $4,000 . I notice someone is selling the Fujitsu FI-5530C2 for $2,550 on Amazon.com (discounted from $3,999.00 list price ) .

The less expensive 11 x 17 scanners on the market are Mustek and Brother . My experience with Mustek has not been good : SLOW , with bad/fussy drivers.

Brother 11 x 17 scanners are better in my experience. (and they come with built in ADF if you want to use that option; however the ADF is limited to 35 sheets at a time, so you have to break up a longer scene into 35 drawing sections which would be dropped in to the tray one after the other)

Brother MFCJ6510DW or others in the MFC-J line Brother MFC-J6910DW , Brother MFC-J6710DW . Price ranges from $189 - $299 depending on the model and the seller (Amazon.com has the best prices on the Brothers)

However, the scanner interface that comes with the Brother MFC-J scanners is minimal , so I'd recommend using VueScan with it .

Keep in mind that the Brother line is intended for relatively light "home office/small business" use , so if you are working on a production where you are scanning thousands of drawings you will probably need to replace the Brother at some point , whereas the more expensive "industrial strength" scanners such as Fujitsu or Epson are built to last longer . However for the price you could replace one of the Brother's 10 times over before you spent as much as 1 Epson Expression 10000 XL .
Gochris1

Post by Gochris1 »

Wow! Thanks David, what a thorough response! I really couldn't ask for anything more. You knocked it out of the park.

It looks like your tip on Vuescan may just save me from having to buy a new scanner. So thanks again for that.

You're the best!

Gochris
Last edited by Gochris1 on 19 Jan 2013, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Disappointing to see that the scanner situation hasn't changed in the last 15 years. While consumer devices can be had for under 100 € and have an amazing quality, anything more professional or a bit bigger still is expensive as hell. I was surprised to hear that Mustek is still around, if only that something other than a big brand doesn't sound as trustworthy.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5