Disney turns away from hand-drawn animation

To talk about anything else
ten_zero

Re: Disney turns away from hand-drawn animation

Post by ten_zero »

slowtiger wrote:For me the last interesting Disney features have been The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch. Everything in between wasn't even interesting enough to watch, except that I caught Bolt and Tangled on TV - the first one was OK, the second a mess. It's not that they don't know how to draw anymore - they don't know how to tell an interesting story anymore.
It is able to say the same thing to "Wreck-It Ralph" that view of the story resemble "Who Framed Roger Rabbit".
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Disney / Marvel announced "Big Hero 6", full 3DCG action comedy to theaters 7th, November 2014.

I think it suitable for Disney 2D hand drawing than 3DCG like "AKIRA" ...
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

ten_zero wrote:I think it suitable for Disney 2D hand drawing than 3DCG like "AKIRA" ...
That would be great :D
devid456

Post by devid456 »

Disney Studio says none of its animation companies are working in the traditional 2D format,and there are no currents plans to do so again.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

devid456 wrote:Disney Studio says none of its animation companies are working in the traditional 2D format,and there are no currents plans to do so again.
not a problem. it might even be good if we see the long-term.
Fabrice Debarge
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Those recent Mickey shorts are definitely 2D...! And quite good, I find.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

devid456 wrote:Disney Studio says none of its animation companies are working in the traditional 2D format,and there are no currents plans to do so again.
I suppose that depends how one defines "traditional 2D" ... if we use that term in the strict sense of animation drawn with pencil on paper and then hand-painted cels photographed over hand-painted backgrounds on a Rostrum camera stand then Disney's feature animation department has not done "traditional" animation since the last two cel films "The Little Mermaid" (1989) and "The Prince and the Pauper" (1990) . Animation on paper continued on from "The Rescuer's Down Under" (1990) up until the two most recent hand-drawn features "The Princess & the Frog" (2009) and "Winnie the Pooh" (2011) , but the penciled drawings were scanned , colored , and composited in a digital ink & paint system.

But what is commonly referred to as "2D" animation is very much alive within the Disney company , if not at the feature animation dept. Shows such as "Phineas & Ferb" and "Gravity Falls" are animated traditionally on paper, then the drawings scanned into a digital ink & paint program for compositing over Photoshop-painted backgrounds. "Motor City" (animation by Titmouse Studios) is a Disney television show which is a combination of Flash symbol animation and hand-drawn (on Cintiq) animation.

The new Mickey Mouse shorts are also a combination of 2D symbol animation , combined with drawn animation, but is all paperless production.

idragosani

Post by idragosani »

saadh wrote:I found this software

Do you guys think it is the one used by professional Animation developers
http://pac-n-zoom.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I doubt any professional animator would ever dream of using something like that
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

saadh wrote:I found this software
Do you guys think it is the one used by professional Animation developers
http://pac-n-zoom.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
usually spammers are merely annoying but this one is so bad its funny..
there was this little gem of a recommendation on the site:
These are not some simple 2 second jitter animation, but animations that pack a punch. For example, their web site has a guy flying on a magic carpet.
:lol:
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM