Total Commander

To talk about anything else
Sewie

Total Commander

Post by Sewie »

I know that a number of forum users are using Dopus. I've started using it myself after hearing the opinion of both Paul's en Peter Wassink and I have never regretted it. Worth every penny.

But just recently I found out about Total Commander which is a similar freeware tool that looks to be quite as good. For those of you looking a (free) alternative file browser, this might be a good one.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Fabrice

Re: Total Commander

Post by Fabrice »

Total Commander is not free. (but very good, I use it everyday)
Fabrice Debarge
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Oh, I was misinformed then. Sorry about that.
And thanks for the heads-up.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

While at it, CartoonMonkey Chad recommended that I use File Hamster to replace dhomas' Backup plugin to backup my files on an external hard drive, and I thank him from for the excellent tip. This one IS actually free, but you can upgrade to a more complete one for $ 29.00, which is a pittance considering what this utility does.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Buyer Beware: After purchasing the product (there was a time limit for the so called FREE version of File Hamster) I ran into some problems. I e-mailed the company at least three times over the course of several days to which I received this reply after a few more days:

Sorry about the slow response; We’ve been phasing out the company over the past year and we have not been as good as we should be for those actively purchasing FileHamster.

Imagine such chutzpah!! We're closing out but are happy to accept your money!

So I thought I better post this warning here since I gave the product such warm recommendations. In its place I bought SmartSync Pro for only slightly more and this is certifiably a solid product with solid support 24 hrs a day via almost instant e-mail replies. They have received many 4 and 5 star reviews by some solid reviewers. There is nothing this backup program can't do, and while I am working on three films at the same time SmartSync handles all of them together flawlessly. I did have some questions initially about some settings I couldn't figure out and had a lively and helpful correspondence with a Russian technician in the middle of the night -- although I have no idea if he or the software are based in Russia.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet