Academy Voters Are Ignorant About Animation

To talk about anything else
Elodie

Academy Voters Are Ignorant About Animation

Post by Elodie »

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 96680.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, that's really sad to see how Academy voters for the Oscar don't care about animation :? :shock: :x :cry:
schwarzgrau

Re: Academy Voters Are Ignorant About Animation

Post by schwarzgrau »

I read that article too, a few days ago, but that's nothing which surprises me. The oscars seeming like a big ceremony where Hollywood celebrates itself. It's very rare you can find something new or experimental in the nominees (even in the shorts), but there are nearly always at least one good film. But this film never wins, cause the few people which are taking the time to watch all films probably vote for the corny film which got the biggest names in it.
It's not just animation, I guess a lot of categories are ignored. They should change their system, so everybody has to judge only two random categories, maybe the people would then watch all films and judge them in a way the films deserve it, but I guess this will not happen, cause the responsible people doesn't care that much either.

It's a shame that the Academy Awards still count as the most important film festival.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Elodie

Re: Academy Voters Are Ignorant About Animation

Post by Elodie »

2015 edition : http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 09456.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By "favorite" ones :

About Best Animated features :
Voter #3: I never got a chance to watch those screeners. There were so many films to watch and I just had to pick and choose.
MY VOTE: I abstain.
and
Voter #5: I only watch the ones that my kid wants to see, so I didn’t see [The] Boxtrolls but I saw Big Hero 6 and I saw [How to Train Your] Dragon [2]. We both connected to Big Hero 6 — I just found it to be more satisfying. The biggest snub for me was Chris Miller and Phil Lord not getting in for [The] Lego [Movie]. When a movie is that successful and culturally hits all the right chords and does that kind of box-office — for that movie not to be in over these two obscure freakin’ Chinese fuckin’ things that nobody ever freakin’ saw [an apparent reference to the Japanese film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, as well as the Irish film Song of the Sea]? That is my biggest bitch. Most people didn’t even know what they were! How does that happen? That, to me, is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen.
MY VOTE: Big Hero 6
Best Animated Short :
Voter #6: I’m a dog lover, so this one was no contest.
MY VOTE: Feast
Best Visual FX :
Voter #7: I didn’t vote here. I’m not so much into special effects pictures, you know? That’s the world that we’re in now, but I’m not in that world. I’m interested in character-driven stories.
MY VOTE: I abstain.

That's really a shame...