Forum : ideas and improvements

To talk about anything else
Elodie

Re: Forum : ideas and improvements

Post by Elodie »

Ok, good point. I will see with Mike next week if it's possible to change the green icon for a "solved" icon and change also the tick icon for posts. It should be easy to fix, but as i don't really touch the forum' structure any more, I cannot be 100% sure :)

I actually agree to change these icons, especially the green one (that appears on thread's title) because it is so small, you barely guess that you can click on it to get redirected to the best answer :)
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Hi There :
>> Adding "Solved" in the topic title : not possible (if it was, we would have done it already + not everyone read english).
>> Changing the size of the green button : maybe. done
>> Better green icon : we will test this one (there won't be any grey box around it) :
check-00.png
check-00.png (325 Bytes) Viewed 89861 times
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I like the new green check. I find it more obvious :)
Soom

Post by Soom »

To me a green icon is absolutely clear that it means Solved, and not anything else. It is widely used also in other forums. For newcomers - hover info over the icon says it all, so you just need to learn it once, and that's it. However, to make things even clearer, I would add 2 more icons in use: a red question mark for an unsolved question and an orange question mark for an unsolved question but with helpful replies. A person then should have an option to mark his post as a question or not. If you are just sharing content, you obviously don't need any solving to do. This way people will quickly see who still might need help with a problem, find helpful replies, and who is just posting something else...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

a red question mark for an unsolved question and an orange question mark for an unsolved question but with helpful replies.
I agree, but the plug-in we have added to the forum doesn't handle several states (solved, unanswered, todo, etc.) within the same topic.
Maybe later we will have time to dig into its code to improve it.
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

Fabrice wrote: 10 Apr 2017, 12:07 I agree, but the plug-in we have added to the forum doesn't handle several states (solved, unanswered, todo, etc.) within the same topic.
Maybe later we will have time to dig into its code to improve it.
thanks for considering
I didn't know it's more complicated, than just tweaking some options :)
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

I know what a green check means here now and I like the large version.

Another approach could be to have a square for open topics and a checked square for solved topics. No need for color. But I like the green.

Curious, were any admins of the forum involved with the visual changes to the software?

The current version of TVPaint is very elegant.
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Curious, were any admins of the forum involved with the visual changes to the software?
Yes, that is the case : since the release of TVPaint 11, we try our best to create a symbiosis between the software, the website and the forum.
Next one to be updated : the website ! (hush - I ain't saying nothing :wink: )
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Just a little message to inform you that last week, I deleted "Other Products" forum and archived sub-forum like "Aura / Mirage support" and "CB Paint support", for most recent messages were respectively from 2014 and 2013.

"Plug in and Third Party" sub forum has been moved in "around TVPaint's Community forum".

"Off Topic Discussions" and "Links" have been merged.

I wish you a pleasant day !
meslin

Post by meslin »

Hi TVPaint community,

I really want to put this information in the right place; please tell me if there's a better place to put things like this.
It's hard to imagine that this has not been posted about before, so I wanted to look it up to verify that I'm not being redundant. But alas, that's the problem:
The forum.tvpaint.com's internal search function has major problems that I believe is costing TVPaint prospective users.
It prevents people from finding solutions to problems, and also from easily finding out if they're being redundant with their queries.
I think it's counting the landing page access as a "first use" of the engine, and then it asks me to wait X seconds before trying again. (Frustration starts to build...)
Then, loading additional pages of results seem to count against my "access limit," as well. ("Oh, forget it.")
Is there any interest in trying to improve this experience?

David
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hi David,

Yeah, the forum seach function is not very ideal, but it is the same problems on most phpBB forums I've used (I'm not trying to find an excuse here, just stating the facts).
One of these days I'll try to update the forum version to see if it's been changed/updated on phpBB's side.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

meslin wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 19:24 The forum.tvpaint.com's internal search function has major problems that I believe is costing TVPaint prospective users.
It prevents people from finding solutions to problems, and also from easily finding out if they're being redundant with their queries.
I think it's counting the landing page access as a "first use" of the engine, and then it asks me to wait X seconds before trying again. (Frustration starts to build...)
Then, loading additional pages of results seem to count against my "access limit," as well. ("Oh, forget it.")
I agree with Meslin. The forum search function frustrates both new (or potential) TVPaint users and experienced TVPaint users. I hope it can be improved .

My workaround at this time is to use Google search. In Google search (or better, Advanced Search) type in : site:forum.tvpaint.com + the topic or the user name (or both) that I'm searching for. It's hit or miss, but at least it doesn't stop me dead in my tracks telling me : "Sorry but you cannot use search at this time . Try again in 27 seconds". :shock:

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
meslin

Post by meslin »

Bumping this one - this can’t be impossible to fix...
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Bumpity-bump-bump ...

It would be nice if the search could be fixed. This forum is a great knowledge base for TVPaint users, but trying to search the forum is frustrating.

Also, could the forum settings be adjusted to allow for posting embedded Vimeo videos that will play within the forum instead of showing an error message:"Adobe Flash Player is no longer supported" ?

For example see this post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3560&start=105#p93798 All the embedded videos in that post are from Vimeo, but none of them show up.

If I post this video https://vimeo.com/463723307 as embedded in my post, it shows up blank with error message: "Adobe Flash Player is no longer supported" but on other forums and websites I see embedded videos from Vimeo play correctly. But on this forum Vimeo videos show up like this:

EDIT: Hooray ! Vimeo tag is now fixed.

Although for some reason YouTube videos will post as an embedded video that shows up and plays within the post . I wonder what the difference is ?

Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 01 Mar 2021, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

It would be nice if the search could be fixed.
I know.
The problem is that on phpBB forums like the one we are using, search has always been a bit ... junky.
(I also know that it's what I said last time, but I hadn't had the time to look into it).
Although for some reason YouTube videos will post as an embedded video that shows up and plays within the post . I wonder what the difference is ?
My guess is that the vimeo embed tag on the forum uses Flash, and the Youtube one doesn't (Youtube hasn't used Flash for years so it's not that surprising).
I'll look for the setting in the forum config.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.