Scanner Recommandation

To talk about anything else
melistenenbaum

Scanner Recommandation

Post by melistenenbaum »

Hello,

I want to buy auto-feed scanner for our animation film project. We are drawing 15 fps and now have 2000 papers to scan. I have Canon Lide 210 and takes too much time to scan papers. Since I live in Turkey, there is a few options that I could buy. I searched that Brother MFC-6490 is recommended but it is not available here. I could find Canon Image Formula DR-C120. However I am not sure that it would be the right choice. I think that scanner is commonly used for scanning documents, not art projects. It says it can scan 600 dpi but it doesn't say anything about color or image quality. So does anyone have idea about Canon DR-C120? Or any other recommendations for auto-feed scanner?

Thank you,
Melis
D.T. Nethery

Re: Scanner Recommandation

Post by D.T. Nethery »

melistenenbaum wrote:Hello,

I want to buy auto-feed scanner for our animation film project. We are drawing 15 fps and now have 2000 papers to scan. I have Canon Lide 210 and takes too much time to scan papers. Since I live in Turkey, there is a few options that I could buy. I searched that Brother MFC-6490 is recommended but it is not available here. I could find Canon Image Formula DR-C120. However I am not sure that it would be the right choice. I think that scanner is commonly used for scanning documents, not art projects. It says it can scan 600 dpi but it doesn't say anything about color or image quality. So does anyone have idea about Canon DR-C120? Or any other recommendations for auto-feed scanner?

Thank you,
Melis
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Canon DR-C120.

The Brother MFC-6490 CW scanner is no longer made. It has been superseded by Brother scanner models MFC-J6920DW , MFC-J6520DW, MFC-J6720DW .

Another auto-feed scanner I can recommend for scanning 12 Field animation paper is the Epson Workforce WF-7510 scanner .

A better auto-feed scanner for animation drawings is the Fujitsu fi-5750c scanner , which is a heavy-duty production scanner that is very fast. (software from Fujitsu is for Windows PC only, although I think the Fujitsu fi-5750c will run through a scanning software called VueScan , which is for both Windows and Mac. Another good production scanner is the Fujitsu Fi-5530C2 scanner. The Fujitsu production scanners are much faster , but correspondingly much more expensive than scanners like the Brother MFC-J6920DW or Epson Workforce WF-7510 which are intended for light office work.

Here's a video showing the Fujitsu fi-5750c in action : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqEmCpB83o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a video showing the Fujitsu Fi-5530C2 in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZVlVerd68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-------

About the Canon DR-C120 you wrote: "It says it can scan 600 dpi but it doesn't say anything about color or image quality."

I would add that the type of scanner you need is based on what kind of artwork you are scanning . I am assuming you are intending to scan line art (animation clean-up drawings). For final line art not much subtly is needed as long as the line quality is crisp and unbroken , and it is an advantage to scan in black & white mode for line art (any coloring to the lines will be done in TVPaint , but you want to start with scans that have crisp,dark lines. ) . Where you would want a more sensitive scanner is if you are scanning shaded colored pencil drawings , or drawings that have had color ink or watercolor washes added , in which case you want to preserve the color and texture of the original artwork .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
ZigOtto

Re: Scanner Recommandation

Post by ZigOtto »

the first thing to know is what's exactly the size of your punched anim-paper ?
if it's over the classical A4 format, the choice will be seriously limited ...