The Illusionist

To talk about anything else
Paul Fierlinger

Re: The Illusionist

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Here's a sample of one of the stranger reviewes:
My Dog Tulip
FOUR STARS
Dirs. Paul and Sandra Fierlinger. 2009. N/R. 83mins. Voices of Christopher Plummer, Lynn Redgrave, Isabella Rossellini.

“Unable to love each other,” J.R. Ackerley (Plummer) notes drily, “the English naturally turn to dogs.” To be fair, the middle-aged misanthrope, who wrote the eponymous memoir from which this animated feature is adapted, roundly includes himself in that slap and tickle of an edict. Love his four-legged friend he does, with an intensity fortunately matched by his anxious, highly intelligent Alsatian, Tulip. Just the mere hint of a walk sends the canine into gales of joy, which propels her to toss groceries around their kitchen as if they were “roses, strewn.”

In turn, Ackerley regards everything his pooch does with a frankly proud delight, even her feces. Actually, there’s a fascination with all sorts of bodily functions here; because the story entails his struggle to breed Tulip, the story inspires a droll meditation revealing the author’s own, oddly Freudian (and sometimes Lucian Freudian) fantasies and fears of sexual congress. The accompanying images, entirely hand-drawn and full of lush detail that recalls both Egon Schiele and Maurice Sendak, swell and reduce hypnotically, yielding visual jokes that riff on his artfully understated observations. Never saccharine, My Dog Tulip does justice to the rare experience of heartfelt, mutual love in any form. (Opens Wed 1; Film Forum.)—Lisa Rosman
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Fabrice

Re: The Illusionist

Post by Fabrice »

I haven't seen anything written yet, but I know for sure that TVPaint is going to be covered. Reporters have spent hours watching us draw and paint and explain everything.
Many many thanks !! :D
It should help people to understand that computers can also make the animators draw and paint, and that one doesn't need to depreciate something because it's made on computers and not on paper.
Fabrice Debarge