[Erick Oh] The Dam Keeper • Gunther

Show us your drawings and animation made with the TVPaint technology here !
Fabrice

Re: [Erick Oh] The Dam Keeper • Gunther

Post by Fabrice »

As I understand it they animated in TVPaint , then the animation drawings were painted frame by frame with custom brushes in Photoshop.
That's it. Even if everything could have been done directly in TVPaint.
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote:
As I understand it they animated in TVPaint , then the animation drawings were painted frame by frame with custom brushes in Photoshop.
That's it. Even if everything could have been done directly in TVPaint.
True. But I think what happens is that the art directors have become masters of Photoshop before they ever know about TVPaint . They understand that TVPaint is for both animating and also digital painting , BUT it is too much work in the midst of production to relearn the digital painting workflow, how to make custom brushes, all their keyboard shortcuts , etc. which is long established habit for them in Photoshop , so to relearn all that in TVPaint is daunting. It's not that TVPaint can't do the same (or better) than PS, but it's a matter of the TIME they've already invested in mastering PS and the additional TIME it would take to adapt their digital painting workflow to TVP.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Don't worry David, we are aware of this :wink:
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

D.T. Nethery wrote:True. But I think what happens is that the art directors have become masters of Photoshop before they ever know about TVPaint . They understand that TVPaint is for both animating and also digital painting , BUT it is too much work in the midst of production to relearn the digital painting workflow, how to make custom brushes, all their keyboard shortcuts , etc. which is long established habit for them in Photoshop , so to relearn all that in TVPaint is daunting. It's not that TVPaint can't do the same (or better) than PS, but it's a matter of the TIME they've already invested in mastering PS and the additional TIME it would take to adapt their digital painting workflow to TVP.
True, but I admit I'm a bit disappointed about this point, because I offered to recreate the brushes they needed in TVPaint.
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/comics/tonko ... 10338.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tonko House, the studio founded by former Pixar art directors Robert Kondo and Daisuke “Dice” Tsutsumi, is developing a feature film based on their Academy Award-nominated short The Dam Keeper.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

good to know.
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

An adorable teaser for The Dam Keeper series ! :D

It's animated in TVPaint, both in California and Tokyo :D

Plus, a few making of :