Lock Layer to Camera?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Greenlaw

Re: Lock Layer to Camera?

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi Fabrice,

Could you try again? I replaced the link with a longer version. The original link works here but since the movie has partial privacy settings enabled, I wonder if you need the longer version of the link.

This link will probably change in a few weeks when we post Sienna's movie on our website, and I'll update the link again if necessary. (No particular reason for the limited exposure, just too many other things going on here at this time.) :)

Thanks!
D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner, Little Green Dog
Lead Digital Animator, DreamWorks Animation Television
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok, it works now.
thanks !
Fabrice Debarge
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

slowtiger wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 11:58 - have animated walk in place in one project, and animated multiplane setup in second project
- in first project, open FX > Keyframer and choose second project as source
- in second project, switch off foreground layers
- in first project, apply FX to empty BG layer
- in second project, switch off background layers and switch on foreground layers
- in first project, apply FX to empty FG layer
Hi Slow Tiger,

I finally got around to trying this yesterday. (Sorry for taking so long, been very busy lately.) I can follow the logic in your instructions but I'm a bit confused about how to apply them. The Multiplane setup I had setup for Sienna is based on the setup described in Elodie's video, which uses the Library as the source for the image planes, and I'm not sure how to switch off the FG/BG layers in this setup. Are you describing a different multiplane setup?

I'm guessing you're using regular layers as the source, but when I went down that path, it led to some other confusion for the Multiplane itself. I think I don't fully understand the concept behind TVPaints FX Stacks system yet...well, as compared to effects systems in other compositing/animation programs I've used anyway.

I hope to spend more time learning how to properly use FX Multiplane and Keyframer this weekend. (Maybe...I also promised my daughter I'd help with her Halloween costume. Sigh! No rest for dad.) :)
D.R. Greenlaw
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not able to test at the moment, but is there a way to 'hide' a layer in the Multiplane interface? I recall seeing an Opacity property for layers--would I use that, or is there a proper visibility switch?

Thanks in advance for any info. I'll try to check it out when I get home later this evening.
D.R. Greenlaw
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Don't have access to TVP until saturday, will answer then.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks, Slow Tiger. No hurry. I probably won't get back to this myself before the weekend. :)
D.R. Greenlaw
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Aha! Okay, I think I get it. The FX Stack works differently from what I'm used to or expected. The Apply button is actually an animation generator, rather than a modifier.

So when I use the multi-plane project as the source for BG/FG layers in the 'in-place cycle' project, Apply FX is rendering different versions of the multi-plane directly to layers within the 'in-place' project. Is this what you mean?
Last edited by Greenlaw on 13 Oct 2017, 17:16, edited 3 times in total.
D.R. Greenlaw
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Now you get it!
You could say everything in the FX panel is just a "latent" image as long as you don't hit apply. After Apply the result exists as fixed layers in the timeline. FX will keep the settings, so you can apply the same effect again to different layers, or even store them away for later use. Or you go back to FX and change the settings, after which Apply will render a different result.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5