Problem Solved : Autopaint won't apply ? Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
lapprenti roi des singes

Problem Solved : Autopaint won't apply ?

Post by lapprenti roi des singes »

Hi everyone !

It's been a loooong time I haven't posted anything in this forum.
Most of you probably don't even know who I am : I was a pretty active member in the french section since 2007, the good old days when I proudly purchased my first TVPaint back then when I was still a student in Belgium, and fast forward 10 years, I'm now in Taiwan, where I started this year teaching it to a good bunch of gleeful taiwanese animation students from several schools, in big parts thanks to Elodie's magical contacts.

I'm writing here not just to partake the nostalgia, but also to ask a technical question about the autopaint FX :

I was a huge fan of it when I bought the software, so much that my student film that year was basically centered on that effect, with which I experimented quite a lot in chinese painting style. (if you want to see what it looked like, feel free to watch my graduation movie The sword and the Paintbrush https://vimeo.com/15931081 ), so you might think that I know quite perfectly how to use it.

Recently, I tried to use it again, and to my surprise, it wouldn't render out the animation anymore !
Normally, when you select a lot of images on your layer to render out the FX, there's a long-ish render time with the loading bar filling up, but here it had time only to render one image, and cut short !
After checking the result, there was basically no effect rendered out.

After several retrials, I realized that basically, there were no keys created on the Autopaint FX panel (the keys on the timeline are there, but in the FX panels, the key icons are still grey instead of being white on each keys, when normally it should create a key -white icon- to every frame).
So what exactly happened here ? Did i accidentally screwed up a setting ? Even putting reset on the FX and retrying afterwards didn't lead to another result.

In 10 years of using TVPaint, it's the very first time i see that issue popping up. Is it an issue about current update ? I'm currently on the v11.03. I tried to update it, but the website told me there is a problem with my version. Is it because my USB dongle is 1st generation (the good old red one) ?

Thanks for bringing me an answer.
Last edited by lapprenti roi des singes on 15 Oct 2017, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Besoin d'un lift? J'ai garé mon nuage pas loin...
D.T. Nethery

Re: Autopaint won't apply ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

lapprenti roi des singes wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 19:36
After several retrials, I realized that basically, there were no keys created on the Autopaint FX panel (the keys on the timeline are there, but in the FX panels, the key icons are still grey instead of being white on each keys, when normally it should create a key -white icon- to every frame).

In 10 years of using TVPaint, it's the very first time i see that issue popping up. Is it an issue about current update ? I'm currently on the v11.03. I tried to update it, but the website told me there is a problem with my version. Is it because my USB dongle is 1st generation (the good old red one) ?
Welcome back .

Unfortunately it does not help you to solve your immediate problem to use Auto Paint FX , but I can confirm that Auto Paint FX works on my end , with setting keyframes as normal. It may have been a bug in version 11.0.3 , which has since been updated to 11.0.6 , so I think the first thing to do would be to update to 11.0.6 to see if the problem persists after updating.

But of course you said there is problem to update , so it looks like you will have to wait until someone from the TVPaint team can respond to help you with downloading the update to 11.0.6. However, as far as I know nothing has changed in how Auto Paint FX is applied.

Maybe the only thing that has changed in version 11 since version 10 is that the Auto Paint FX can be applied to Users Auto Break Instance Value OR to Frames or to Heads ... see if changing any of those settings changes how it is applied .
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.17.21 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.17.21 PM.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 21652 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
lapprenti roi des singes

Thanks D.T.

And yes, I forgot to thank you as well for your welcome back last time, a couple of months ago ^^

Edit : Mmmh... intriguing... Let me try it out !
lapprenti roi des singes

Ah ha ha haaaaaargh...

It was exactly that ! I tried to apply the effect on a layer that didn't have the autobreak activated (it was a duplicate structure layer) !

Thanks for the Eureka !
D.T. Nethery

Re: Problem Solved : Autopaint won't apply ?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

:D

lapprenti roi des singes

So much for being a TVPaint teacher ...^^
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

lapprenti roi des singes wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 20:47 So much for being a TVPaint teacher ...^^
I teach animation using TVPaint and I learn new things all the time ! Elodie teaches me things I never knew , and also many of the users here such as Sven, Zig Otto , Mads Juul , Peter Wassink, and others.

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

And to be honest, I have also learned many things thanks to people here : either with their own way to use TVPaint, or just because they had a question that forced me to think differently and find a solution (like the recent topic about Lumo).