Freehand Splines?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
CoreyAnimator

Freehand Splines?

Post by CoreyAnimator »

Hello, I would like to ink my work using tvpaint and I like the splines for inking. How would I go about making a freehand spline stroke like photoshop instead of using my mouse to click at one spot at a time to create my lines?
malcooning

Re: Freehand Splines?

Post by malcooning »

it is not possible to freehand draw paths, TVP does not have vector capabilities.
The B-Spline tool is quite capable and flexible, but it is still about placing splines along a path.
Last edited by malcooning on 24 Aug 2008, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
CoreyAnimator

Post by CoreyAnimator »

oh i see : (
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

but why would you want splines to ink your work?
there are great inking purposeful tools in TVP
Manuel

Post by Manuel »

How does it work ?
Manuel
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

Actually, I didn't quite understand if by 'inking' Corey refers to clean-up or does he refer to coloring-in the line animation.
Inking is a technical, traditional term, that might not have room for in paperless domain. but all this is debatable.

If the intention is for creating freehand drawn splines, then the only purpose for it I can see (in a bitmap application) is for creating lines with adjustable degree of smoothing and rounding (as Flash does). Other than that I don't see any purpose for it a in a frame by frame 2D application.
Photoshop, by the way, does not have a freehand line tool. It has only freehand shape tool, which always fills up the moment you stop drawing the path. as well it creates a new layer for each shape that you create, which is something that is actually a big nuisance. TVP has a similar tool (though not vector), which is the FreehandFill tool. I find that this tool answers most of my "inking" needs, If I keep line and color on separate layers.

If the intention was for coloring-in the animation, than the FloodFill tool allows for big versatility, where you can ink on same or separate layer, you can FloodFill by display/front/back/layer, you can automate the inking for many frames to a certain degree. If you not trying to fill line animation, then the above mentioned FreeHandFill tool is very useful.