fiddle

[Resolved] Audio Playback

Post by fiddle »

Mac OS X Version 10.6.1
2X2.2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
RAM 16GB
ATI Radeon HD 4870
TVP Version 9.5.1 Pro

If I load an audio music track into a new TVP project there is a substantial audible difference in pitch and speed when I compare it to the same data played using iTunes or AfterFx or QuickTime. The frame count is the same, but the sound has a faster tempo and higher pitch. The frame rate is 24 FPS and modifying the project to play at 30 FPS results in the same issue. It does not matter if the track is a .wav, .aiff, or .mp3.

I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard but I cannot remember if I had this problem before the upgrade.
slowtiger

Re: Audio Playback

Post by slowtiger »

Check the audio file sampling frequency and set TVP to the same number. You shouldn't have any further difficulties.
Attachments
sound.png
sound.png (16.86 KiB) Viewed 30066 times
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
fiddle

Post by fiddle »

Hmmm..remain mired...

The sample rate of the music is 44100.
TVP -edit - preferences - sound - sample rate is 44100

Thanks for the prompt response.....
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

fiddle wrote: If I load an audio music track into a new TVP project there is a substantial audible difference in pitch and speed when I compare it to the same data played using iTunes or AfterFx or QuickTime. The frame count is the same, but the sound has a faster tempo and higher pitch. The frame rate is 24 FPS and modifying the project to play at 30 FPS results in the same issue. It does not matter if the track is a .wav, .aiff, or .mp3.

Is your sound still faster, even if you don't modify the FPS ? Or does the sound become faster when modifying the FPS ?

If you modify the Playback FPS into the remote, the sound will be played faster or slower. To change definitely your FPS, you have to open "Project => modify project" and change the FPS here. Now the sound must be correct. =)
fiddle

Post by fiddle »

Sound issue resolved.
The FPS was always correct. I checked that first (using Modify Project).
I think there was an issue with the info that Adobe Bridge was giving me on the sample rates.
I exported the files from Sound Booth, changed everything to 44.1 and all is well.

I thank you for all your input.
Much appreciated.
SirPencil

Post by SirPencil »

Hi there,

I've been tackled with the same problem here - the sound plying on TVPaint is faster than normal.
I'm working on a 25 fps project, with a sound file I created using quicktime pro. It's is WAV with 44100 sample rate.
The funny thing is that when I first imported it to the project it sounded too fast, but after using Dependencies->Reload all sound Tracks it played as it should.
However, after reopening the file, it became faster again, and this time the same trick didn't fix it.

It's really annoying and I would appreciate it, if I can get an explanation for how to use soundtracks right in this program.

P.S.
Is there any way to remove dependencies after loading a soundtrack? I've noticed the project remembers every file I've loaded into it, even if I removed it :(
Animark

Post by Animark »

Hi SirPencil,

take a look at this post, maybe it helps:
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=audio

Which version of TVP do you use?
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
SirPencil

Post by SirPencil »

Wow...That's actually the case!

I didn't use After Effects, but opening Audacity and then reopening my project did set things back to normal!
That's the stupidest thing I'd seen in a very long time... :shock:

Thanks for the help anyway - it was such an upsetting problem...
I really hope someone will fix this bug.

P.S
I use TVPaint Animation Pro 9.5 on Mac.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

SirPencil wrote: It's really annoying and I would appreciate it, if I can get an explanation for how to use soundtracks right in this program.

Animark wrote:Hi SirPencil,

take a look at this post, maybe it helps:
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=audio
It really does need to be more self-evident within TVPaint and in the user manual how to correctly set the sampling rate of the soundtrack used to match the sampling rate in the TVPaint preferences. It should not be such a mysterious, tedious, frustrating process for new users to search out how to do this, often by much trial and error .
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

D.T. Nethery wrote:It really does need to be more self-evident within TVPaint and in the user manual how to correctly set the sampling rate of the soundtrack used to match the sampling rate in the TVPaint preferences. It should not be such a mysterious, tedious, frustrating process for new users to search out how to do this, often by much trial and error .
Don't forget the problem firstly come from Mac : Quicktime does not automatically make the conversion, so if you open a file in 48k Hz, while your Mac is configured in 44k Hz : TVPaint will not be able to read correctly the sound.

But yes, if we update the User guide in the future, we will probably add something about Mac and sound.

Here you have to go to change your Mac configuration (in Utilities) :
output sound.png
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

so to sump up, you need :

* TVPaint Animation 9.5.21 minimum
* a sound file with the 44,1 Hz frequency
* a midi configuration with the 44,1 Hz frequency (see above post)

(same process with other frequency)

This will be added in the manual as soon as possible. :)
Fabrice Debarge
SirPencil

Post by SirPencil »

Thank you all for the help :)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

You're welcome :)