Revolution in coloring lineart: LazyBrush plugin V1.1 !

lemec

Re: Revolution in coloring lineart: LazyBrush plugin release

Post by lemec »

Just tried the lazybrush demo. It shows some promise. Some suggestions:
  • Leave Drying ON when using Set FG Scribble and Set BG scribble. This will let people erase a scribble with the right-click/stylus side switch.
  • Add GRG script commands for all plugin functions so that people can call them from custom panels and hotkeys.
Options:
  • Lock+Hide Color Layer: Will automatically lock the color layer and hide the colour group it is assigned to. Will only unlock the layer while the Paint operation is in progress.
  • Aggressive Mode: Will auto update the Paint Layer at the end of every stroke on the Scribbles layer.
This suggestion is for the TVPaint team to implement:

If the CURRENT layer is HIDDEN, show it anyways at 50% opacity and allow people to paint on it.
This will allow people to leave the Scribbles layer HIDDEN while still allowing them to paint on it and see what's going on, and they won't have to turn its visibility off every time they export.
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
dogsma

Post by dogsma »

My Layers are always set to COLOR and wasn't used to having it switch to Multiply. I can easily change it but it brings up a TVP irritant I still have. If I undo my color strokes the layer head commands undo also.
I would like locks to work for transparency layer bar > and now that MULTIPLY turns on for this new plugin, a lock to keep it at the setting a choose. I can't use the undo history panel because I am constantly adjusting my brushes settings as I paint. I find the layer lock useless. I also move move layers .
This is a TVPaint problem just made harder for me with the new plugin.
I also agree with Mads about keeping the layer group colors, if possible but the scribble layer should be different and apparent so I can delete when through with it. [A small thing]
Sandra S. Fierlinger
lazybrush

Post by lazybrush »

Thanks Mads, Mark, and Sandra for your feedback!

We'll try to incorporate your suggestions in next versions of the plugin.

We will probably set COLOR as a default color mode and assign the same layer color to *_scribbles and *_color layers.

Regarding Mark's suggestions about setting Drying to ON we tried both variants ON/OFF and the right-click eraser works so maybe there are some different parameters which influence the behavior of eraser. Mark, can you be more specific about this issue?

We will add hot-keys as well as George commands for all plug-in functions (providing this is feasible using TVP plug-in SDK).

Lock+Hide is definitely handful but probably for a more experienced user who already knows how LazyBursh works. For novice this might be confusing. So we probably add some option for this.

Regarding the Aggressive mode we already tried something similar but we were not able to safely recognise the user just finished drawing of the scribble (using TVP plug-in SDK). We'll discuss this option with TVPaint team and see whether there is some more elegant solution.
lemec

Post by lemec »

lazybrush wrote:Regarding Mark's suggestions about setting Drying to ON we tried both variants ON/OFF and the right-click eraser works so maybe there are some different parameters which influence the behavior of eraser. Mark, can you be more specific about this issue?
When Drying is OFF, brushstrokes are committed to a temporary canvas. When you right-click erase, it will erase ONLY strokes on that temporary canvas. However, if you undo/redo, switch tools/colours or go to a different frame/layer, the temporary canvas is then merged with the current layer. In essence, the "wet" pixels are "dried".

This means that if you try erasing with the right-click, you will be unable to affect old strokes made prior to the last temporary canvas merge. However, if you activate Drying, you can then erase strokes made prior to the last undo/redo/toolchange/colourchange/framechange.

When Drying is ON, then there is no temporary canvas - every brushstroke you make directly affects the pixels on the current layer, including right-click erase strokes.

Hope that clears things up.
(Win7x64, TVP Pro 11 32-bit)
lazybrush

Post by lazybrush »

Mark, many thanks for clarification, we'll set Drying to ON in our next release.
oferk

Post by oferk »

Yes, I just found this Drying issue myself, and planned to fix it :) Thanks for the heads up.

Ofer
oferk

Post by oferk »

About agressive mode -
I think it can be useful mostly in a "layer-less" scenario. I mean, sometimes I want to quickly paint a matte behind some lines, and Im OK with having one or two layers, and not three. Maybe I want it for a specific frame only, and not the whole sequence.
The slight overhead of creating the layers and clicking the paint button might push me from using lazybrush, so a quick mode will be of great use in these situations.

Do you agree?
lapprenti roi des singes

Post by lapprenti roi des singes »

REVOLUTIOOOOOOONNN !!!
Besoin d'un lift? J'ai garé mon nuage pas loin...
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Can I somehow make a shortcut to toggle the Lazy Brush plugin panel?
  • Club Baboo
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.2
  • macOS Ventura 13.4.1 & Windows 10
  • Cintiq 27QHD
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

It seems the lazy brush can't see if you have colored outlines. At least in some situations. I made couple of tests and sometimes it sees the colored outlines and sometimes not. I like to use colored outline made with tvpaint scetchpanel for color separation. When coloring is completed I can remove them wtih X at scetchpanel. Now it seems the lazy brush doesn't understand my colored lines.Is this possible to fix?

M.

EDIT: It seems to work if you first paint with the other color and the paint goes thru the line but when painting the next color it works..But it tcalculates it a while. I can see the spinning beach ball of death in my osx before the paint is done.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 6.01.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-11 at 6.01.35 PM.png (96.79 KiB) Viewed 96532 times
Mikko Vormala
oferk

Post by oferk »

Are you sure you have drawn the line on the correct layer?
Is it possibile for you to upload an example file with the problem, or send us a link?
We will fix it, and it sounds like a very valid workflow

Thanks
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

oferk wrote:Are you sure you have drawn the line on the correct layer?
Is it possibile for you to upload an example file with the problem, or send us a link?
We will fix it, and it sounds like a very valid workflow

Thanks
Sorry, everything works correct. I'm way too tired for work or coloring. Deadlines... I should think twice before posting. :oops:

M.
Mikko Vormala
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

And this IS amazing plugin!

M.
Mikko Vormala
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

lazybrush wrote:
Roselle2 wrote:Mit , von Frame zu Frame und Print ,Print, Print ... klicken, ist dann doch umständlich. Oder nicht?
Lukas wrote:Any idea when it will be possible to paint multiple frames with one click of the paint button?
I also just purchased. Looking forward to receiving my serial number, and support for selecting multiple frames for auto-paint as well. Fantastic work!
C
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

lemec wrote:
lazybrush wrote:Regarding Mark's suggestions about setting Drying to ON we tried both variants ON/OFF and the right-click eraser works so maybe there are some different parameters which influence the behavior of eraser. Mark, can you be more specific about this issue?
When Drying is OFF, brushstrokes are committed to a temporary canvas. When you right-click erase, it will erase ONLY strokes on that temporary canvas. However, if you undo/redo, switch tools/colours or go to a different frame/layer, the temporary canvas is then merged with the current layer. In essence, the "wet" pixels are "dried".

This means that if you try erasing with the right-click, you will be unable to affect old strokes made prior to the last temporary canvas merge. However, if you activate Drying, you can then erase strokes made prior to the last undo/redo/toolchange/colourchange/framechange.

When Drying is ON, then there is no temporary canvas - every brushstroke you make directly affects the pixels on the current layer, including right-click erase strokes.

Hope that clears things up.
Can someone do a video demonstration of the drying effect in use? I have never in all my years of using TVP fully understood it.. :oops: