Stamp in place not working all the time

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
ZigOtto

Re: Stamp in place not working all the time

Post by ZigOtto »

David_Fine wrote:... Not sure about the issue with the CB info, but in any case, that would seem to just tell us what is happening, but the info won't fix the issue ...
I think if your "Origine" coordinates are (somehow) lost, it's not surprising to get a Stamp-in-Place at the top-left corner,
(the origine parameter being missing, tvpa will interprete Origine X=0 Y=0, in other words, will paste your CBrush to the top-left corner).

so, apparently it's a bug with the mac version, but as no one of the team seems to follow this topic,
maybe you can try to call (by MP) one of the tvp guys to come to the rescue.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Yes, it does appear to be a bug. I have emailed Fabrice to see if he can look into this. Thanks for your help, ZigOtto.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

I have experienced this bug on and of in Windows! I could never reproduce it though. Even in the latest...
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

I also often have this bug on windows.
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Well, glad to know it isn't just me, but we are not hearing from any of the developers on this. I wonder why.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

because the developper in charge of this option was sick last week, so he has a lot to do now :)
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

I confirm this.
I think I had a thread about it some time ago, still on TVPaint 9.5, but this is still the same bug in TVP 10.5 and in TVP 11!
Very very annoying behavior...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Could someone record the issue and post the video ? I cannot reproduce it on Mac, so I probably missed something.
Soom

Post by Soom »

Elodie wrote:Could someone record the issue and post the video ? I cannot reproduce it on Mac, so I probably missed something.
Hi Elodie. too bad I forgot this one when you were here. Anyway - the recording was already posted by David Fine earlier in this thread:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpt9nt6bc4so8 ... g.mp4?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's on MAC, but I confirm exactly the same behavior on Windows - no need to record - it's identical.
1. draw a shape
2. cut/copy it to custom brush
3. stamp in place (it works)
4. flip the pen to erase something using the eraser
5. flip the pen back
6. stamp in place - pafff, it forgets the coordinates.
(same thing happens, if you pick up a custom brush from the recent list, after using some other tool)
If, for any reason, it's impossible for a custom brush to remember coordinates, I think this might be a strong reason, why we need the copy/paste function...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

I've looked at the video that David posted and when I approximate his process, my cutbrush also loses its ORIGINE values (IF I reselect it from the Tool History bin).

However, if after erasing, I simply click on the custom brush tool icon and attempt to Stamp-in-Place with the recovered cutbrush, it will still have retained its original ORIGINE values.

So, it seems that when a cutbrush is stored in the Tool History bin, it loses its ORIGINE values after reselecting it FROM THE TOOL HISTORY BIN. The ORIGINE x and y are both set to 0 (zero).

One major thing that goes unrealized here is the fact that the most recent cutbrush info (image and placement data) remains stored in memory, even though the tool selection changes (is no longer a cutbrush). But when the cutbrush tool button is reselected and there is/was a cutbrush lurking in memory, you can resume stamping with it, AND IT REMEMBERS ITS ORIGINAL STAMP IN PLACE (the ORIGINE place where it was first captured).

One more major thing that goes unrealized here is that when a cutbrush tool is saved into a button... and then reselected from the button, IT REMEMBERS ITS ORIGINAL STAMP IN PLACE coordinates (the ORIGINE where it was first captured).

These two facts reinforce the theory that cutbrushes (and animbrushes for that matter) seem to LOSE THEIR ORIGINE when stored in the TOOL HISTORY BIN (as David and others have discovered.)

Sven

Edit: and, at last, I see why the GEORGE command is called tv_BrushRestore! :shock:

Second Edit: David, if see this post, may I suggest you add one line to your Stamp in Place button?
1. Open the button to edit mode
2. Left mouse button click on the "Key:Tools Custom Brush Stamp in Place" command
3. From the menu choose "Insert a Command"
4. Then left mouse button click on the new line "None" and select "Type Script's Command"
5. In the Type Script's Command window that pops up type: tv_BrushRestore MODE "color'" and click OK
6. There should now be two command lines:

Command:tv_BrushRestore MODE "color"
Key:Tools Custom Brush Stamp in Place

7. Click ok to save it
8. Test the new Stamp button using the same steps you used before. What this does (in one click) is reselect the cutbrush that you originally captured, set the draw mode back to "color" and then stamp your cutbrush exactly in the place you originally captured it.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Soom

Post by Soom »

Sven, I think you've missed the main point, that the coordinates of the custom brush are lost when flipping the pen to erase - that's what's shown on David's video. Picking it from the recent bin is not the most urgent issue, although should be solved in the same way.
I always experience this both on Mac and Windows on all versions of TVPaint.
I tried your suggested command, but it didn't help.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Soom wrote:Sven, I think you've missed the main point, that the coordinates of the custom brush are lost when flipping the pen to erase
Missed the main point? Yeah sometimes I tend to do that looking at the larger picture. By flipping, you must mean using the eraser button on the top side of the stylus? Hmm. I guess I missed that in David's original post:
David wrote: I often want to pick up something with the custom brush tool and stamp it down in the exact same position on another instance. If I pick up the stamp and immediately go to the other instance and then hit Stamp in Place, it works fine. If, however, I do any other thing, like use my pen rocker to erase the area before I stamp it down, and then hit Stamp in Place, nothing happens. I then have to go back and pick up the area with the custom brush tool, which is a bit tedious as it was carefully selected. So is there a way to select an area, either with the custom brush or with a Copy command, then have it pasted down in place on other instances, forever until I replace what was copied? That is, much as any other application works with copy and paste. If I copy a word in a text document, it remains in the buffer and pastes over and over until I copy something else. Doesn't matter what else I do, apart from hitting copy again, it will always paste down. Can that be done in TVPaint?
When I check the parameters for the Eraser Brush on the top of the stylus, they seem to be the same Eraser Brush parameters I get when I click my stylus on the Eraser Brush icon...

If I click the Eraser Brush Icon with the stylus then click my modified Stamp Button, the CutBrush correctly stamps in the original position.

But if I use the Eraser on the top of the stylus then click my modified Stamp Button, the CutBrush INCORRECTLY stamps in the upper left corner, ORIGINE 0,0.

What's different? Apparently nothing in the Eraser Brush, itself. But it looks like TVPaint somehow recognizes that the stylus is inverted and automatically chooses the Eraser Brush... but somehow in the process, it also seems to be removing the cutbrush ORIGINE values, just as it strips the ORIGINE values when a cutbrush or an animbrush is stored in the Tool History bin. Is this one in the same bug? Are these two different but related bugs? Are these bugs at all? Who knows?

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Soom wrote: 1. draw a shape
2. cut/copy it to custom brush
3. stamp in place (it works)
4. flip the pen to erase something using the eraser
5. flip the pen back
6. stamp in place - pafff, it forgets the coordinates.
(same thing happens, if you pick up a custom brush from the recent list, after using some other tool)
If, for any reason, it's impossible for a custom brush to remember coordinates, I think this might be a strong reason, why we need the copy/paste function...
I confirm this Bug.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2