How do you delete an instance?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Loud

How do you delete an instance?

Post by Loud »

Hello -

I’m currently animating in TVP v9.5 (an old version, I know), but I’d like to know how to simply delete an instance (or image, or exposure, or cel, or whatever other multitude of names that TVP decides to call it) from an anim layer? When I say “delete”, I mean I want it GONE, as in I don’t even want to see the residual white cel that just sits there like a town drunk who won’t leave the bar at closing time. Clicking on the skull-and-crossbones merely clears the image, but leaves a white cel in place; Layer > Exposure > Remove Exposure does nothing.

Getting really frustrated here! I was about to make the leap to version 11, but I’m reluctant to do so unless it has become more animator-intuitive since 9.5.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks much.
2dbert

Re: How do you delete an instance?

Post by 2dbert »

Not sure that it worked this way already in V9, but in 10 you can do that with the animator panel- the skull button of the instance menu deletes the current instance. You see, instances and exposures aren't the same thing. An instance can have more than one exposure, if you delete one of them, your instance isn't gone, and if there's just the instance without additional exposures, the delete one exposure command won't do anything, and rightly so.
Hope that helps, good night.
Mac OSX Version 10.9 - 2GHz Intel Core 64(? I think so at least)bit - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Yiynova MSP19U
TvPaint Animation 11.0.6 Pro
Léo
Site Admin

Post by Léo »

If you want to delete totally one instance, you can directly use the "DEL" short key on your keyboard. It will erase the instance and delete the all instance from the Timeline.
Léo Fernandez
TVPaint Q&A and Lead Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester
Windows 11 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10870H CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.21 GHz,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro.
Wacom driver version 6.4.2-3
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Layer:Delete Image works for me (in TVPaint 10 and 11).

Even better, it works for all of the following:
1. deleting the current image, whether it is an Instance or an Exposure, whether selected or not.
2. also, it works for deleting a selection of images (it is smart, too, about turning exposures into instances where it makes sense).
3. also, clicking multiple times nicely chews away images, one at a time in quick order.

I have assigned Layer:Delete Image to Ctrl Del shortcut so i know my frame deletions are intended.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

preliminary, what's your tvpa version exactly (v.9.5.x) ?
if x < 21 ... update.
then, if you are a new TVPA user and want to start and animate,
basically all you need is to learn how to make good use of the Animator Panel,
[Delete Instance] is one of the commands included in it,
delinstance.png
delinstance.png (17.33 KiB) Viewed 20344 times
once this basement acquired, you will be able to go further,
by adding customized tools, and assigning the most frequently used to shortkeys at your convenience.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I want it GONE, as in I don’t even want to see the residual white cel that just sits there
I think this is exactly what is frustrating the man. There is nothing in the Animator Panel that lets him do what I picked from his quote. I had the same strong feelings about the subject back in the 9.5 days, and agree with you, ZigO that it should be one of the basement tools, but this wasn't the case and using the plain old delete key didn't do it either. In TVP 11 this and many other missing basic tools are all present and then some. I'd say, drop 9.5 and buy 11, as you said, Loud. TVP 11 is what Windows 10 is to Windows XP.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet