Improved export Clip as project

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Peter Wassink

Improved export Clip as project

Post by Peter Wassink »

to export a clip into a new project i found these options":
-Export> Clip:layerstructure> Old TVPaint project
-Another option is to delete all the clips i don't need then save as under a new name
-copy the clip then in a new project with the same dimensions paste the clip

But i find all of them slightly complicated hard to find and unintuitive/indirect
i would like a simple Clip Export from the Clip pulldown menu> Clip: export clip as TVPaint project (*.TVPP)
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Improved export Clip as project

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

+1
This would so much expedite our work as well because Sandra can't paint my Project files since they would grow into unmanageable sizes. Therefore she has to separate each clip away from my Project and save these as new individual projects before she can start painting them.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I'm not sure to understand, but actually, you don't want to "export" a clip or "save" a clip in your hard drive, you just want to open a clip as a separated project.
A little like the share manager can sen clips from a project and not a whole project.
Paul Fierlinger

In my case, I would like to be able to save or export a clip directly from the Project tab instead of
1.opening it as a new project
2.Save as...
3.delete new project
but allow us to directly save a clip to anyone's HD under the current name of the clip. So in addition to "Create a new project..." we would have the option "Save clip" which would open the computer's browser. That should work very well.
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

In that case, you may use File menu > Export to... and choose "Clip : layers structure" tab > Old TVPaint project

It will manage a .tvp file from the current clip, that you may save anywhere (and it keeps new features, like CTG or Guides).

But I don't think this is Peter's request.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Elodie wrote:In that case, you may use File menu > Export to... and choose "Clip : layers structure" tab > Old TVPaint project

It will manage a .tvp file from the current clip, that you may save anywhere (and it keeps new features, like CTG or Guides).

But I don't think this is Peter's request.
may point is that this option feels weird.
first "layer structure" then "old tvpaint project" these terms make the simple task of saving a single clip into some hidden mystical handshake thing. (i'm exaggerating off course) its a workflow streamlining thing.

I simply want to save a clip as a standalone (tvpp) project.
And i'd like to be able to do this directly from the export panel
And preferably also from the most logic spot.... the timeline project view in the list of clip options:
-select clip
-cut clip
-copy clip
-paste clip

-export clip
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Peter Wassink wrote:may point is that this option feels weird.
first "layer structure" then "old tvpaint project" these terms make the simple task of saving a single clip into some hidden mystical handshake thing. (i'm exaggerating off course) its a workflow streamlining thing.
It's not weird, this is 100% logical : A TVPP project is the addition of several TVP files, which are the clips and export Clip : display exports, as it says, the display. It does not keep layers' structure.
Peter Wassink wrote:I simply want to save a clip as a standalone (tvpp) project.
And i'd like to be able to do this directly from the export panel
And preferably also from the most logic spot.... the timeline project view in the list of clip options:
-select clip
-cut clip
-copy clip
-paste clip
-export clip
Ok, but such feature does not exist for selections, images, instances or layers. (You could also wish to make a new project from one of these elements, and except if you copy paste them in a new created project, you cannot do it throught a right click or a menu).
Paul Fierlinger

Yes, this is just what we need. I never understand what exactly Old TVP project referred to and had just ignored that weird wording that probably referred to fixing some backward incompatibility and had no application to our workflow. I think this needs to be rephrased.
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

If it makes everyone happy, that's alright for me :)

(It was named like this after the release of TVPaint 9.5 : we had to keep a way to make files from TVPaint 8 and 9 compatible)
Paul Fierlinger

Well it doesn't make me happy that we had under our noses a simple solution for something we have been doing in an awkward, roundabout way but that could have been avoided if it had been given a better name. The result of this clarification should be: let's find a proper name and not, "let's all stay happy". This is how the myth of TVP's secret handshakes has evolved and it should be stopped if you want to do something about TVP's reputation as being too difficult to follow.

EDIT: Peter's suggestion seems to be the most natural solution; move the function under the clips tab and simply call it SAVE.
Paul
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Well it doesn't make me happy that we had under our noses a simple solution for something we have been doing in an awkward, roundabout way but that could have been avoided if it had been given a better name.
Well then, maybe we could have been suggerated this 6 years ago, when TVPaint 9.5 was in Beta-test.
Paul Fierlinger wrote:EDIT: Peter's suggestion seems to be the most natural solution; move the function under the clips tab and simply call it SAVE.
I don't disagree with you guys. But as I explained above, what you are asking for makes sense only if we offered also the possibility to save a TVP(P) from a scene, a clip, a layer, an image or even a selection (if we allow clips, why not all other possibilities ?)
Paul Fierlinger

also the possibility to save a TVP(P) from a scene, a clip, a layer, an image or even a selection (if we allow clips, why not all other possibilities ?)
I don't get the logic. Has anyone been asking for these?
Paul
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
also the possibility to save a TVP(P) from a scene, a clip, a layer, an image or even a selection (if we allow clips, why not all other possibilities ?)
I don't get the logic. Has anyone been asking for these?
no, but we always need to think several steps beyond a simple request, mostly to anticipate future needs and keep a coherent software.
Fabrice Debarge