Major Issues with Windows 10 Anniversary Update Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Fabrice

Re: Major Issues with Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Post by Fabrice »

Have you been able to reproduce the problem on any of your systems yet?
reproducing : yes.
but the reason is still not defined properly.

We found that it's more or less C++ compiler related (as you have several versions of TVPaint Animation, there are several versions of C++ compilers to create TVPaint Animation).
So I'm not sure we can do something for the v9 as it's 7 years old now (and the related C++ compiler is from 2008).
Fabrice Debarge
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

If it isn't going to be possible to fix the old version, and my windows installation is going to force the update in time, would it be possible for you to upgrade my license to a version that functions with the anniversary update so that I don't get locked out of the software?
revkin

Post by revkin »

Dear TVpaint team,

I have the same issues described here.. I do own 2 copies of TVpaint 11 standard edition which work fine with the anniversary update, but my 9.5 professional edition does not. I have reset my windows to the version prior to the update and it works fine. I would like to ask the same question as Kylerk - would it be possible to get an upgrade or a fix so that the licence remains usable?

Thanks,
Sascha
www.revkin.at

TVP Pro 11.0.8 64 bit / Intel i7-3770k / 16GB RAM / Windows 10 Home 64 bit / Wacom Cintiq 27" driver vers. 6.3.32-4
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

The latest news regarding the Windows 10 latest update.

- There is no way to make the v9.5.21 working, the code and compiler are too old (8 years ...), some of the computers used at this time are also not working anymore.
- We are still investigating for the v10.5.7 if something can be done, running some tests, etc.
- No problem with the V11.0.3 (all prior v11.x.x can update for free)

People who wants to upgrade to v11 can use our contact form : http://www.tvpaint.com/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and write "Windows 10 compatibility issue" as subject.
Fabrice Debarge
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

(hot topîc moved as sticky)
Fabrice Debarge
Kylerk

Post by Kylerk »

Thanks for the thorough response!
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok, here is the latest update :

- Regarding the v11.x.x :
Please update to the 11.0.3 or higher, the problem will be automatically solved.
The update is free for all the 11.x.x registered users.

- Regarding the v9.5.21 :
There is no way to make the v9.5.21 working, the code and compiler are too old (8 years ...) to be used and fixed, some of the computers used at this time are even not working anymore.
In addition, I would say that when we launched the first v9 , the latest Microsoft Operating System was Windows Vista (Windows 7 was released a few months after). The v9 worked smoothly with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Seven, Windows 8. Windows 10 (prior to its anniversary update) will be the lastest compatible operating system compatible.
It's sad, but we have done our best with the v9 during years and reached one of our technical support limit here.

People who wants to upgrade to v11 can use our contact form : http://www.tvpaint.com/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and write "Windows 10 compatibility issue" as subject.

- Regarding the v10.5.7 :
Well, the problem is :
* only linked to the Windows 10 operating system.
* most of the time random since more or less connected to your other software installed (which can also have problems).
* only occuring on the 32 bits versions of both Professionnal and Standard Edition.

The problem is not linked to :
* Wacom Drivers,
* Safenet protection system,
* TVPaint 10 animation pixel engine.

This latest point (> not linked to TVPaint 10 animation pixel engine), is the most important one :
As explained many times here and there in the forum : we still can't do any change within the core, pixel engine, of TVPaint Animation 10 (the v11 was released 18 months ago and we are preparing our next technology, in the middle of a lot work), but we can do something on the operating system related libraries.

Also, we don't want the people who purchased TVPaint Animation 10 in 2014 (less than 2 years ago) to be forced to upgrade to the v11 so quickly, because of Windows 10 (released in June 2015 more of less 6~7 months after we stopped to sell the v10 ...). A fair business in the software industry requires a reliable tech support, as far as possible.

Since it seems possible to fix and since many people might encounter the issue in the coming days, we are going to help as best as we can. If everything is going well, we should be able to release a fix in a few time : mid or end September at the earliest. We will let you know how it goes.
We are also waiting a little bit to see if this Windows update will be also released/reported on Windows 7 and 8 ... if so making a fix immediately wouldn't make sense (think about it, it's the first time in our history that a Microsoft update broke something!)

For the people who are in a hurry (i.e : people in production or schools installing several computers) please use our contact form : http://www.tvpaint.com/contact-us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and write "Windows 10 compatibility issue" as subject. We will find a technical solution, maybe a workaround until we release a fix or do a commercial gesture.

Well, that's it for today. Will keep you updated as soon as we have more relevant informations.
Fabrice Debarge
marylou

Post by marylou »

Hi,
there's definitely a major compatibility issue with the 1607 update of windows 10, did you manage to isolate the problem and can we expect a solution soon ?
I'll try to revert to a previous update but it's important that this software works with the current windows version.
thank you

edit:
I'm not sure i updated to 11.0.3 how do I do that ?
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Tvpaint > help menu > check for updates > tvpaint website will load > click on the big Blue button "download" > once the download is over, close tvpaint and install the file you have just downloaded.

As we said, it's already fixed for version 11.
TuuPii

Post by TuuPii »

Hi guys!

I just wanted to tell you that I also had that problem but was able to fix it less than an hour ago:

I had to make a new windows account and reinstall tvp10 there.

I'd tried several other things before, but that was what finally did it. No idea why tho. Just knew from previous (different) software problems that this sometimes helps.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

TuuPii wrote:Hi guys!

I just wanted to tell you that I also had that problem but was able to fix it less than an hour ago:

I had to make a new windows account and reinstall tvp10 there.

I'd tried several other things before, but that was what finally did it. No idea why tho. Just knew from previous (different) software problems that this sometimes helps.
Thanks for the idea !
We'll run some tests with a new account.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Yato

Post by Yato »

I found that installing it on another user did in fact fix the issue. I just wanted to point out to make everyone's lives easier is you can still run TV Paint on your usual account after installing it on another account. Just hold down shift and right click the program then click run as different user, log into the new user you created and TV paint should work. To access your files on your normal account though you're going to have to give the new user you created admin privileges.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Fabrice wrote:
- Regarding the v10.5.7 :
... we don't want the people who purchased TVPaint Animation 10 in 2014 (less than 2 years ago) to be forced to upgrade to the v11 so quickly, because of Windows 10 (released in June 2015 more of less 6~7 months after we stopped to sell the v10 ...). A fair business in the software industry requires a reliable tech support, as far as possible.

Since it seems possible to fix and since many people might encounter the issue in the coming days, we are going to help as best as we can. If everything is going well, we should be able to release a fix in a few time : mid or end September at the earliest. We will let you know how it goes.
Is this fix available for 10.5.7 ? I have had a couple of students who still have TVPaint 10.5.7 purchased in 2014 report to me that their TVPaint 10.5.7 no longer functions. Both are on Windows. How can they get the fixed version ?

Or is the only fix for TVPaint 10 what was mentioned above by users TuuPii and Yato : make a New User Account on Windows , then re-install TVPaint 10 on the New User Account, then start up the program holding down Shift and Right-Click to "Run as new user" and to give the new user account admin. privileges so files on the main user account can be accessed.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Still no fixes at the moment. However, your students can try to create a new session on their computers to fix that issue temporarily.
ndcanton

Post by ndcanton »

This update problem happened to a colleague and after a month of pushing deadlines, he was forced to upgrade from 10 to 11 even though he had not owned it very long. I am considering purchasing TVPaint 11, but I'd like to know, from a customer service perspective, how this will be dealt with in the future. If another anniversary update disables TVPaint 11, will there be a free upgrade or warranty to reimburse the price for the non-functional program? Thank you.