Mac OS Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra (update 08/10/2019)

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
daninski

Re: Mac OS Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra (update 08/10/2019)

Post by daninski »

scribblyscrawly wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 21:03 I was forced to buy a new Mac when my old one died. The new one runs Catalina. Now TVP 10 doesn't work any more... :(

So I too would like to know if there is a planned fix, and when this might happen.

Please?
You can partition your drive and install an older version of OSX pretty simply, if you're desperate. The old versions are on the app store.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
scribblyscrawly

Post by scribblyscrawly »

daninski wrote: 01 May 2020, 01:13
scribblyscrawly wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 21:03 I was forced to buy a new Mac when my old one died. The new one runs Catalina. Now TVP 10 doesn't work any more... :(

So I too would like to know if there is a planned fix, and when this might happen.

Please?
You can partition your drive and install an older version of OSX pretty simply, if you're desperate. The old versions are on the app store.
Ok, thank you very much for the advice.
daninski

Post by daninski »

scribblyscrawly wrote: 04 May 2020, 00:29
daninski wrote: 01 May 2020, 01:13

Please?
Ok, thank you very much for the advice.
Here's a guide if you're after one.. https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-s ... s-3679956/
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
little-nemo

Post by little-nemo »

Just a message that might help someone in the same situation than me. After following the detailed instructions on how to install everything on Catalina (dongle driver + TV Paint v11) (https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... er&lang=en, and since it was not working on the first try (dongle not recognized), I followed the part with a red background that was supposed to provide the solution), I was a bit worried because I could not reproduce faithfully and exactly some steps of the guide:

- When it came to uninstall the Sentinel drivers installed during the first unworking install, I could not find the `Sentinel` folder in the `Application` folder. I eventually skipped this step.
- When doing the new install, I had to do the thing in the `Security & Privacy` in order to allow the installation of the driver (as specified in the guide), but in a second time, I could not allow the driver to be loaded because there was no `Software from developer "Legacy Software: Safenet"` trying to be loaded that would appear in `Security & Privacy`, and thus I could not allow it to run from the menu.

Of course after finishing the other steps, the freshly installed TV Paint still would not recognize the dongle.

At this point I noticed that there was another software trying to load, but its name (as it would appear in `Security & Privacy`) was something like `SFNT Germany GmbH`. At first I thought it was some unrelated and older software, because the name was not ringing any bell to me, it seemed especially unrelated to any Safenet or Sentinel software, so I just assumed it had nothing to do with the dongle drivers. After a bit of googling, I found some pages like this one https://skb.serendipity-software.com.au ... sion-3524/, that were suggesting a link between the Sentinel driver and this SFNT Germany GmbH thing, so I decided to allow it.

It turns out that allowing the software signed by `SFNT Germany GmbH` to load was enough to have the dongle recognized by TV Paint. I don't exactly know what this `SFNT Germany GmbH` signed software is, but since I have never observed anything signed by `Legacy Software: Safenet`, and that allowing `SFNT Germany GmbH` was sufficient to make the dongle work, my guess is that it is the dongle driver, and that there was some company name change or licensing issue or something that would just change the company that would sign it.

So, as a TL;DR : when authorizing the driver to load, after its installation, the software to allow might not be signed by `Legacy Software: Safenet` but by `SFNT Germany GmbH` and allowing it was sufficient to make the dongle recognized by TV Paint in my case (TV Paint Pro 11 ; Mac OS X Catalina).

I hope it might help someone struggling with the same issue! :wink:
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Thanks for the notice!
I'll edit the doc soon :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
leeyoo@usc.edu

Post by leeyoo@usc.edu »

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my computer to macOS Catalina and my dongle isn't being recognized. I searched the forum and it sounds like I have to download Sentinal Driver 7.4.2 version. But when I downloaded it and unlocked my security & privacy, it's saying the 7.4.2 version isn't compatible with Catalina. Help! I cannot use my TVPaint.

Thanks.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello leeyoo,
Could you send me a private message so we can take a look at your issue via email, please? :)
Probably a vampire
jes43

Post by jes43 »

Here is some distressing information for anyone with an older Cintiq (DTZ-2100 model 21UX)
A friend of mine who is a storyboard artist contacted Wacom Support regarding the driver update , whether it's compatible with High Sierra and this is their reply to him:
"We have two versions of the Cintiq 21UX: the DTK-2100 is compatible with the latest driver for High Sierra,
while the previous generation, the DTZ-2100 is not. Check our driver page with all the compatible products:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/prod ... d=44563699 "

So according to Wacom, if you have the previous generation DTZ-2100 Cintiq 21UX , you are out of luck .
(although it is difficult for me to believe that it is impossible for them to write an updated driver that would allow the
older DTZ-2100 to work with High Sierra ... I think they just want us to purchase new Cintiqs , and they're not very
subtle about it ... if I can find an alternative tablet that is the same quality as Cintiq I am switching to that instead of
ever purchasing another Wacom Cintiq.)

Regards:
Jes43,,,,,,
The Professional travel site for Online Visa gets approval in a few minutes.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

jes43 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 11:48 Here is some distressing information for anyone with an older Cintiq (DTZ-2100 model 21UX)
A friend of mine who is a storyboard artist contacted Wacom Support regarding the driver update , whether it's compatible with High Sierra and this is their reply to him:
"We have two versions of the Cintiq 21UX: the DTK-2100 is compatible with the latest driver for High Sierra,
while the previous generation, the DTZ-2100 is not. Check our driver page with all the compatible products:
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/prod ... d=44563699 "

So according to Wacom, if you have the previous generation DTZ-2100 Cintiq 21UX , you are out of luck .
(although it is difficult for me to believe that it is impossible for them to write an updated driver that would allow the
older DTZ-2100 to work with High Sierra ... I think they just want us to purchase new Cintiqs , and they're not very
subtle about it ... if I can find an alternative tablet that is the same quality as Cintiq I am switching to that instead of
ever purchasing another Wacom Cintiq.)

Regards:
Jes43,,,,,,

Try this app , Connect My Tablet, to see if it will restore your older Cintiq DTZ-2100 :

https://wptrnpt.co.uk/wp/connect-my-tablet/
Connect My Tablet already helps users in 73 countries and has got 361 5✬reviews from them with a worldwide average score of 4.8 of 5
We are also recognised in various user forums, e.g. Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wacom/comments ... for_older/

Does this sound familiar? Wacom Bamboo or Intuos Pen and Touch not working after macOS update. Or: My Wacom Bamboo or Intuos or Cintiq tablet is not recognized. Or: Wacom Bamboo or Intuos or Cintiq tablet issues and problems with macOS. Or: Wacom driver is not working with Catalina and a macOS update.

Our Connect My Tablet app is doing exactly what its name says: It connects your previous generation tablet from Wacom (TM) to your Mac again. It restores at least its critical functionality to be creative with Photoshop (TM) and other programmes in Catalina, Mojave, HighSierra, Sierra and El Capitan.

For many models and MacOS versions, the Wacom preference pane will be working again. For others, Connect my tablet provides a tool to let you change the most important pen settings.
In Catalina, as in the latest MacOS versions, the pen functions and pen buttons work perfectly again. Also most setting options for those buttons – after using Connect my tablet. However – your preference pane, if it worked in earlier MacOS versions, may now not allow you to change tablet button settings. It still allows you at minimum to change your pen functionality or to calibrate the pen and we are working on an additional tool to allow you to change tablet buttons too.
If your preference pane did already stop working in earlier MacOS versions, you can continue to use Connect my tablet to change your pen settings.

As you might have to install and de-install tablet drivers, you will have to have full admin rights on your computer.

Currently Connect my tablet supports and is tested on:

Wacom Bamboo CTH-460, Bamboo CTH-461, Bamboo CTH-470, Bamboo CTH-661, Bamboo CTH-670, Bamboo CTL-460, Bamboo CTL-470, Bamboo CTF-430, Bamboo MTE-450, Bamboo CTE-450 and 650; Wacom Intuos GD-0608 U, Intuos GD-0912 U, Intuos2 XD-0405, Intuos2 XD-0608, Intuos2 XD-0912, Intuos2 XD-1212, Intuos3 PTZ-430, Intuos3 PTZ-431, Intuos3 PTZ- 630, Intuos3 PTZ-631, Intuos3 PTZ-930, Intuos3 PTZ-1231W, other Intuos CTH, PTH, PTK models, Wacom Graphire2 ET-0405, Graphire3 Sapphire CTE-430, Graphire3 Sapphire CTE-630, Graphire4 CTE-440, Graphire4 CTE-640; Wacom Cintiq 18SX, , Cintiq 20WSX, Cintiq 21UX, Cintiq DTU-2231 and others. You can always ask us for specific models at enquiry@wptrnpt.co.uk

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
NickH

Post by NickH »

Help! The Post-Catalina dongle driver for TVP 11 Pro won't install on my 2013 iMac 17", running OS 10.15.5 Catalina (or the update to 10.15.6 either).
I've followed the instructions, and the instructions for when the dongle doesn't work. I did the security thing in Settings to allow software from identified developers the first time I tried, and that has stayed as allowed. I thought the Sentinel driver had installed, because I was getting the "Installation was successful" message with the tick in the green box. so I went on to install TVP and put the dongle in, but then got the "Dongle not present" message, and TVP would not open at all. Then I checked, and saw the Sentinel app was not appearing in the Applications folder. Tried several more times, but each time it says the installation was successful, but does not install it. Safenet never appears in Applications. This is the driver that came with the TVP 11 Pro 64 bit installation package. I did a search, in case it was installing somewhere else, but all I found was an old Sentinel Framework Unix executable file in Library>Frameworks, dated 2010, so I removed it. That didn't help.

I had previously (in 2015) tried to run TVP 9.5 Pro on this iMac, but could not get the dongle to work, so I went back to using TVP on my old 2008 Mac Pro. (It wasn't easy on the Mac Pro either, but with help from this forum I did get it to work, it depended on which port the dongle was plugged into.) But the Mac Pro looks like it will fail soon. Until the new iMacs/iMacPros are announced and on sale, I will have to use this iMac.
The demo version of TVP11 that I installed a couple of months ago ran perfectly. I removed that before trying to install the licensed version. But now, if I try to install TVP and run it, it says Dongle Not Present, and when I try to open it, instead of opening in demo mode as it did with TVP 9.5, it crashes. The problem seems to be with the Safenet dongle installation rather than with TVP. Any ideas what to do?
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello NickH,
The Post Catalina version of the driver doesn't create a folder in Applications.

When launching TVPaint, if you get a "no dongle" error prompt, a message should appear in the General tab of your Security and Privacy settings.

This message should say that a program has been prevented from running and look like this:

The software's name should contain "Safenet", "SFNT" or "Sentinel".

You will have to click on "Allow" so the driver can run normally.

Please keep me informed on the evoltuion of your issue.

Kind regards,
Probably a vampire
NickH

Post by NickH »

Thank you Dean!
That is useful to know, that the Safenet folder will not appear in Applications. I just went through the whole process again. Here are the steps:

1. Dongle is not attached. TVP is not installed. I remove all other USB devices except the keyboard, which has the Mouse connected to it. There is also a 4-port USB3 hub that clamps on to the bottom of the iMac, but nothing is plugged into it. I open the TVP11 install package, and agree to the license.
2. Double-click the Post-Catalina dongle driver. It installs and says "installation successful". before re-starting, I check Security and Privacy, General - no error prompt.
3. Click to restart computer.
4. Install TVP11 by dragging it into the Applications folder.
5. Plug the dongle into a USB port on the back of the computer.
6. Double-click on TVP11 to open it. I get a window with this error message - "TV Paint Animation 11 Pro can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Please contact the developer for more information."
7. I click OK. Then, the Open Anyway option appears in the Settings>Security and Privacy>General window.
8. I click Open Anyway.
9. The TVP11 screen is visible, but the "TVP dongle is not present" message is in front of it. It says to re-plug the dongle, then click OK. I remove the dongle, and plug it in again. (Previously I had tried the dongle in every USB port on the computer, but that didn't help.)
10. Before clicking OK I check the Security and Privacy>General window, there are no warnings or options to say open anyway. Back in front of the TVP screen, I click OK to open TVP.
11. TVP disappears.
12. I move the dongle to a different port, and try again by clicking on the TVP icon in the right side of the dock, where recently opened apps appear. Same thing happens, if i click OK to open, it crashes.

So I wonder, if the error message says it needs to be updated - could I have downloaded the wrong version of TVP, like a 32 bit version or an out-of-date one? I check. I downloaded from the TV Paint Developpment site on 10 July 2020. The installer is called TVPaint Animation 11.0.10.24548o Pro (64).dmg . I clicked on the Post-Catalina dongle installer. So it looks like the right one.
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Nick,
The tricky part is that the "Software blocked : SFNT/Safenet" message in the Security settings generally appears once you get the "no dongle" error message in TVPaint.
So you should try opening the Security settings after getting this message.
If it doesn't appear, maybe the Mac needs a reboot.
Probably a vampire
NickH

Post by NickH »

Thank you for replying. I am opening the Settings>Security and Privacy>General when i see the "no dongle" message. The Software Blocked warning is not there. I will re-boot the Mac again. It is getting rebooted each time I install the dongle driver, but I will do it again. This time I will not install the dongle driver before re-booting to see if that makes a difference.
NickH

Post by NickH »

No warning. I rebooted, tried to open TVPaint, got the No Dongle message. Before clicking OK I checked the Settings>Security>General panel, no warning. Then I clicked on OK to open TVP, TVP crashed. Same as every time. I checked Settings>Security again, still no warning. I closed it, tried again. When i saw the No Dongle message, I removed and replaced the dongle in a different port. Checked the Settings>security panel, no warning. Clicked OK. It crashed.
I have 2 Lock Codes, one is the old one for TVP 9, with MIR in it - it was upgraded from Mirage, but still using the dongle. The new Lock Code for TVP11 is shown, as a different item. It has STD in the name. Does that mean Standard? I checked my receipt, and it is for an upgrade from v9 Professional edition to v11 Professional edition. Since it is an upgrade, not a new license, I am using the old dongle. Should I be expecting a new one to go with the new lock code? The dongle works on my old 2008 Mac Pro, running OSX Snow Leopard. And on this iMac, the green light comes on when it is plugged in, so it doesn't look like it is faulty.
I have downloaded the TVP11 installer again, just in case that helps.