TVPaint Drawing random straight lines at beginning of stroke. Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
sac magique

TVPaint Drawing random straight lines at beginning of stroke.

Post by sac magique »

Hi guys

A quick query regarding a bug i keep running into.
Every time i attempt to draw circles/curves freehand i seem to get strange straight lines at the beginning of the stroke. It only occurs if i draw fast.

https://imgur.com/a/1ibg0

Does anyone know what could be causing this? It doesn't appear to be my Cintq because i don't get this problem on Photoshop or any other program. I also doubt that it is a performance problem; the bug is recreate-able at all
resolutions/file sizes.

Previously I have had a similar bug where straight lines shoot across the entire screen horizontally, though that problem doesn't seem to be occurring anymore.

The only similar forum post I can find is this viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2274
However this is dated 2008 and seems to have been resolved so i'm skeptical that it is the same issue.

Thanks,
Phil

- Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit
- TVPaint Pro (11.0.8-64 bit)
- Wacom Cintq 13HD (6.3.29-3)
sac magique

Re: TVPaint Drawing random straight lines at beginning of stroke.

Post by sac magique »

Sorry to double post,

I was wrong, the horizontal lines problem still occurs. its just not as easy to recreate on purpose as the curved line problem - though i imagine they are related.

https://i.imgur.com/S0gaBaY.jpg

Thanks,
Phil

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

From time to time I've had similar anomalies. I don't use a Cintiq but I do have two monitors, side by side. I runTVPaint on the left monitor and other software on the right monitor. When I move between software on the right monitor where I use a mouse, and then move to TVPaint and use my Wacom Intuos on my left monitor, I can reproduce the same anomalies you show here by momentarily moving or even just touching my mouse while in the process of drawing lines with my stylus on the TVPaint screen. Note I am moving the mouse without pressing LMB or RMB or scroll wheel.

So, what may be happening in your case is drawing on the Cintiq may be causing slight movement in your mouse resulting in the spikes to the right side of your Cintiq.

Or maybe not... but it is something to check.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Does this happen with pen only, or with the mouse as well?

(It looks like the cursor X coordinate starts larger than the screen width.)
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
sac magique

Post by sac magique »

Thanks for the help.

Svengali was right, it seems the horizontal lines are caused by mouse input on my other monitors (caused by my desk shaking) - which is easily fixed by simply flipping/unplugging my mouse when i use TVPaint.

Unfortunately the other issue - straight lines at the beginning of a curved stroke - still remains. I have no idea what could be causing it.

Does this happen with pen only, or with the mouse as well?
It only happens with the pen.

Thanks,
Phil

Jet

Post by Jet »

Try going into Wacom Tablet Properties and selecting your pen, find Tip Double Click Distance and turn it off.

You can also try disabling Press and hold in Windows Flicks panel.

Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Pen and Touch > Go to Pen Options tab > Press and hold > Settings > Uncheck "Enable press and hold for right-clicking" > Go to the Flicks tab > Uncheck "Use flicks to perform common actions" > Apply.

Also try opening the Wacom Tablet Properties panel again, selecting your pen, go to the Mapping tab and uncheck "Use Windows Ink" (at the bottom of the panel).
OS: Win 11 / RAM: 128GB / GPU: RTX 3080 Ti / Display: Cintiq 27
sac magique

Post by sac magique »

Thankyou so much! :D :D :D

That fixed it straight away. I'm ashamed i hadn't tried that myself, probably could of worked it out with a bit of trial and error.

One of the best things about TVPaint has to be the community! Really fast knowledgeable responses. I'm very impressed.

Thanks,
Phil
Kathleen Quaife

Post by Kathleen Quaife »

The issue of the straight line starting at the beginning of every attempt at drawing was a confounding problem.
It took me days of frustration to even begin to use my new 22 2K cintiq with TVP11. PC Windows 10
All other programs did not have this issue,,, so I do not believe the issue is just a hardware issue, something else is going on with the way TVP talks to this set up.

However the only solution I found, after trying Everything recommended here ( five times and in every imaginable config) and adjusting all parameters to the various suggestions above
I had to take the remaining final steps to get the stylus to behave like a drawing implement instead of a beastly inefficient technologically induced tantrum/glitch.

I
  • removed the dual monitor I had attached ( It was a 4 K monitor, perhaps conflict with the 2K Cintiq ?)
    I removed the USB mouse ( logitech) I had plugged in ,,, and am using a bluetooth mouse in conjunction with the wacom drawing stylus that came with the cintqu.
Shutting down computer and restarting is also a factor too, and I did do that many times in the process.

If folks have any other clues, I am still open to suggestions,,, because I do not really know what finally solved the issue,,,
but I know that it is impossible to use TVP if every stroke behaves errantly, so resolving this issue is a major factor for anyone having the problem.
Thanks KQ
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I had been experiencing a particularly pesky pen stuttering problem for a long, long time and finally hit the solution after I turned off EVERYTHING connected to the Pen and Windows Ink settings in Windows 10. Not just one over all setting that would seem to discontinue all Windows ink items but I went through every box and turned off everything possible to leave the box empty or say "Nothing". It is also important to turn off INK in the Wacom software (Mapping) and use TVP's Wintab/SubPixel setting under Preferences. Judging from where you are in your hopeless situation try this; it might help. Just another guess because I feel for you.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
TomBancroft

Post by TomBancroft »

Hello! I am having this same problem! (The straight line at the beginning of the round shape. Also, in a curved line, it can be blocky- as if made up of straight lines.

I’ll try some of these resolutions but I see that many of these seem to be rooted in Windows and I am on a Mac OS so wanted to see if others are having this problem on Macs. I have the new 32” Ciniq Pro, on a new iMac, and using TVPaint 11 Pro.

I’m also experiencing a good amount of lag in the drawing, which may or may not be related to this problem. All of these are MAJOR problems and I’ve been trying to fix everything for a week now. Did install the newest Wacom driver and even upstairs my OS to Majave in case any of that was the problems.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Hi Tom, Im on a Mac and experiencing the same problem, as many other TVPaint users. I'm not sure if the Tech Team is aware of this, since there is almost no feedback on their side regarding this issue.
TVP 11 Pro (11.0.8-64 bits), MacOS 10.13.6 - Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD
selwinnl

Post by selwinnl »

TV-paint noted to me that they are currently working on this issue. They also noted a temporary solution and advised me to install the 32 bit version of TVPaint, which is apparently linked to the 64-bit build, usually fixes the issue. It definitely helped me and now I have smooth cirkels without any linear strokes at the beginning!
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

There was a remark that a Japanese user solved this problem (horizontal and vertical lines are automatically drawn in TVPaint) by myself.
My interpreting:
- When using "Extend" in multi-monitor settings, there is a high possibility that this will occur unless the upper left is set.
230130_to_tvp.jpg
Some users said it happens when the mouse is touched.
This user also has a multi-monitor setup with different sizes.
I would appreciate it if you could refer to the program correction.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
marijaye

Post by marijaye »

This just started happening to me after behaving relatively fine for months (a FEW straight lines, but it always fixed itself). Tonight, I am drawing ONLY in vertical lines I don't want! My computer specs below (I have two monitors and a Cintiq, but I have been using these exact ones for years). Photoshop is not experiencing this problem.

On another note, I am not sure how to post images and videos to this forum, so I hope I am linking you to the video through Youtube:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ZN3QIsoP7Yk[/youtube]
or
https://youtu.be/ZN3QIsoP7Yk

If someone has some ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. Have restarted my computer several times, tried to adjust the monitors' placement in Display, and unplugged and re-plugged my monitors.

Thank you!
mari jaye

Windows 11 Home
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-119000
2.50GHz
32GB Memory
1TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/ 2TB HDD
Touch
mari jaye
Windows 11
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900 @ 2.50GHz
32 GB Memory
1TB HDD/ 1 TB SSD/ 2 TB HDD
Touch
TVPaint 11 Pro 11.7.1-64 bits
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello, please try opening the Preferences panel of your TVPaint and, in the General tab, changing the drawing mode from "Wintab" to "Ink" or the other way around.
This issue has appeared overnight for some Win11 users and we don't really know where where it could come from.
Probably a vampire