Guideline, timeline notes, etc - causing slow pen performance.

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
spyderheart

Guideline, timeline notes, etc - causing slow pen performance.

Post by spyderheart »

Hi all,
Here's what I'm observing on my system:

Whenever guidelines, timeline notes, or a selection marquis (crawling ants contour) are displayed on the canvas, I experience a massive slowdown in my wacom pen performance.
The mouse and trackpad are unaffected - if I try to draw with either of these there is no lag at all while the above elements are displayed.

Tested using the most recent wacom driver (v6.3.24-1) available for my OS (Mac OS 10.10).

Anyone else having this issue?
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
CartoonMonkey

Re: Guideline, timeline notes, etc - causing slow pen performance.

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Nothing here on Windows 10 X64.
Any way you can record a screencapture video of what's happening?
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Good idea.
Video attached to show what I mean. All drawing is done with the wacom pen in the video. I didn't show it but if I use the mouse or trackpad in any of the scenarios it behaves normally (no lag at all).
Attachments
TVP_cursorlag.mov
Showing cursor lag using wacom pen while a selection, guideline or timeline note is shown on the drawing area.
(17.16 MiB) Downloaded 1184 times
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

spyderheart wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 02:02 Hi all,
Here's what I'm observing on my system:

Whenever guidelines, timeline notes, or a selection marquis (crawling ants contour) are displayed on the canvas, I experience a massive slowdown in my wacom pen performance.
The mouse and trackpad are unaffected - if I try to draw with either of these there is no lag at all while the above elements are displayed.

Tested using the most recent wacom driver (v6.3.24-1) available for my OS (Mac OS 10.10).

Anyone else having this issue?
TVPaint Pro 11.0.8 64bit , Mac OS 10.11.6 , Cintiq 21UX , driver 6.3. 20-8 , no slow down or lag with Wacom pen performance here on my end.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
furushil

Post by furushil »

spyderheart wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 02:02 Anyone else having this issue?
Yes, I have the same issue when running TVPaint in high resolution mode.

Right-click on the TVPaint App and go to Information. Then try to tick the "open in low resolution mode" box. See if that helps.
When I tick the box TVPaint works without lag.
Bildschirmfoto 2018-03-29 um 15.52.14.png
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

furushil wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 14:18
spyderheart wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 02:02 Anyone else having this issue?
Yes, I have the same issue when running TVPaint in high resolution mode.

Right-click on the TVPaint App and go to Information. Then try to tick the "open in low resolution mode" box. See if that helps.
When I tick the box TVPaint works without lag.
Thanks for the tip and good to know I'm not alone with this issue. However I don't have that option in my info panel:
tvp_info.jpg
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
furushil

Post by furushil »

It seems the Standard version doesn't have the option. Maybe because it runs in low resolution mode by default.
I'm afraid I cannot help you further. Sorry about that.
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

furushil wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 17:41 It seems the Standard version doesn't have the option. Maybe because it runs in low resolution mode by default.
I'm afraid I cannot help you further. Sorry about that.
I've tested this on TVPaint 11.08 PRO 64 bit (Demo Version) as well and still get the lag - but not quite as bad.

Still no option for "Open in low resolution mode" when I right click to see the info for the Pro 64-bit app either.

I actually haven't seen that option on any of my apps - maybe it's my OS (10.10)?

Thanks for the help.
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
furushil

Post by furushil »

Strange, the box should be there if you have a retina display but I am no expert.
You can check this thread if you haven't already (they are talking about low resolution on page 4):
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8603

Maybe this helps:
This lag is present in the 32-bits version too, however it makes the use of TVPaint Animation impossible.
To fix the 32-bits issue, you need to uncheck the Use OpenGL option in Preferences > General menu in TVPaint Animation. We are looking in the 64-bits issue.
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

furushil wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 19:37 Strange, the box should be there if you have a retina display but I am no expert.
You can check this thread if you haven't already (they are talking about low resolution on page 4):
http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8603
Thanks. That thread is a bit of a rabbit hole and I don't see my issue specifically mentioned. I ONLY experience lag when guidelines, notes, or selection contours are displayed (as far as I know - there may be others triggers as well). Otherwise it is very responsive and only lags when you'd expect it too (with a heavy custom brush for example)

@furushil when you say you had the same issue, was it indeed limited to the situations i mentioned or was a general lag all the time (which seems to be what other threads discuss). If your issue was like mine, did you observe this on OS 10.10.x or on your current setup OS 10.11.6?

I saw something in the thread you linked to about migrating configurations from TVPaint 10 to 11 so I'll test this with a fresh config and report back.
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

A clue!
If I go back to TVPaint 11 default config everything works great. I can display notes, guidelines and selection all at the same time and there is no lag at all.

TVPaint team, any tips on how to track down the problem in the config folder. I have migrated my config from TVPaint 10 to TVpaint 11 AND from windows to mac (probably both ways but currently on mac)

Thanks!
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
furushil

Post by furushil »

spyderheart wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 15:18 @furushil when you say you had the same issue, was it indeed limited to the situations i mentioned or was a general lag all the time (which seems to be what other threads discuss). If your issue was like mine, did you observe this on OS 10.10.x or on your current setup OS 10.11.6?
When I switch to high resolution mode right now (OS 10.11.06), I get the same lag that you have mentioned at the beginning. (I think it was also the case on OS 10.10.x.)
I always run TVPaint in low resolution mode for that reason.
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

furushil wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 18:14 When I switch to high resolution mode right now (OS 10.11.06), I get the same lag that you have mentioned at the beginning. (I think it was also the case on OS 10.10.x.)
I always run TVPaint in low resolution mode for that reason.
Have you also tried starting with a fresh config folder? For me, that completely resolves the issue (but of course I lose my enormous config work - which is a worse issue). I'm just trying to track down what in the config folder might be causing the lag!

NOTE: This is obvious to many... but anyone testing this make sure you understand how the config folder is managed by TVPaint and BACK IT UP before you try testing any of this!
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
martimiz

Post by martimiz »

Hi,

I can confirm that this is still an (even worse) issue for me in version 11.09.

Running TVPaint in low-res solves it for now though. Anyone know of any reason not to run TVPaint in low-res?
TVPaint 11.5.3 Pro 64 - Mac OSX 12.4 Monterey
iMac 21-5 inch 2017, 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro touch, driver version 6.3.46-1
Soom

Post by Soom »

martimiz wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 15:59 Hi,

I can confirm that this is still an (even worse) issue for me in version 11.09.

Running TVPaint in low-res solves it for now though. Anyone know of any reason not to run TVPaint in low-res?
It was confirmed already, that TVP 11.0.9 has a bug and most people are reporting lags. So first you should go back to TVP 11.0.8. Then one thing I didn't find in this thread - did you try disabling OpenGL in Preferences? Disabling it solves a lot of performance problems. Also make sure "Barbecue" is selected (unless this overheats your computer, then disable it). I have the "Run in Low-Res" option greyed out - probably because it's a STD 32bit version, and frankly I don't know the reason why not to use Low Res ...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas