Transparency

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Johnny

Transparency

Post by Johnny »

Greetings,

I would like to export an animated clip and add it to my video. I'd like the clip to be "transparent" so that the animated line art can move across the sky already in the video. I see 3 options for the background in TVPaint. One is "color" which is an opaque white and (when I export and add to the video) covers over the sky. The second option gives an opaque checkered pattern and the third gives an opaque black background. How do I make it so the animation can move through a transparent field that will not cover the sky when added to the video?

Thank you,
Johnny

Mac OSX
TVPaint 11/64 bits
D.T. Nethery

Re: Transparency

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Johnny wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 15:15 Greetings,

I would like to export an animated clip and add it to my video. I'd like the clip to be "transparent" so that the animated line art can move across the sky already in the video. I see 3 options for the background in TVPaint. One is "color" which is an opaque white and (when I export and add to the video) covers over the sky. The second option gives an opaque checkered pattern and the third gives an opaque black background. How do I make it so the animation can move through a transparent field that will not cover the sky when added to the video?
To export a layer as a video clip with transparency , set the Export to MOV (FFMpeg) , Compressed (RGB-RGBA), RGBA mode ,
UNCHECK Background .
Export Layer to MOV with Transparency.jpg

So, now you'll have your line art as a .mov file with transparent alpha layer.

You can then composite it over your existing video using After Effects.

But unless you need to use After Effects for something else (camera moves ? or other FX ?) , the easier way would be to have your video layer of the sky
imported into TVPaint , then simply copy & paste your line art animation layer into the project which has the video layer to composite it over the video.
Then export the composite image sequence to a .MOV .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Many thanks for your quick reply! I will try that.
All the best,
Johnny
malinkey

Post by malinkey »

hello,

i tried exactly what you mentioned here but my client said there is still the white bg

don't know what to do next, help
Capture d’écran 2021-06-03 à 15.28.28.png
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

malinkey wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 15:46 hello,

i tried exactly what you mentioned here but my client said there is still the white bg

don't know what to do next, help
This is TVPaint 10 isn't it ?
I'm not familiar with it, but I'd say you have to change the export format : click on the orange gear button, at the right of the format.

EDIT : I did some code archeology. To export a video with transparency using TVPaint 10, you'd need to choose "lossless" (uses PNG codec) or "high bitrate" (uses ProRes codec). "Very high bitrate" would use Mpeg4-Visual, which I think doesn't support transparency.
https://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/p ... nnels.html
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

If you export a Quicktime movie, you also must choose the correct codec to get transparency. Select PNG with millions+ colours.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

This is for TVPaint 10.5.7 32bits, exporting to Quicktime MOV -

If you don't have the Apple ProRes codecs installed on your computer then you can use the Animation codec. Animation codec or Apple ProRes codecs will export a MOV with transparency.
I would usually use Apple ProRes 4444 for best quality that is not as heavy a file size as using Animation (lossless) codec.

Your other option is to export as a PNG Image Sequence with transparency and compile the image sequence in something like After Effects or Premiere (or if you're on a Mac OS that still runs Quicktime Pro 7 , you can use QT Pro 7 to compile the image sequence into a MOV. I think MacOS Mojave is the last one that runs Quicktime Pro 7).

TVPaint_10_Export_QT_MOV_with_Transparency.jpg
TVPaint_10_Export_to_PNG_Sequence_with_Transparency.jpg

EDIT: I just noticed that Slowtiger posted before me: "Select PNG with millions+ colours." In my TVPaint 10 export settings I don't see PNG as an option among the Quicktime MOV codecs in the export settings, so that is why I had always exported to a PNG image sequence and then compiled the PNG image sequence in QT PRO . There must be a Quicktime PNG codec available ,but for whatever reason I don't have it installed on my computer .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just a guess: Apple removed it from the system some time after 10.11 (which still has it).
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5