[macOS] Update on TVPaint 11.0.9 lag issue

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

Re: [macOS] Update on TVPaint 11.0.9 lag issue

Post by Soom »

Thierry wrote: 30 Dec 2019, 11:19 But our other Macs aren't affected either: our MacBookPros from 2016 (running Mojave) and our old iMac from late 2012 (running Mojave), and even a MacPro from 2012 (running Sierra) :?
Could be a French thing?! maybe your studio is covered by some magic aura? :) sorry for being sarcastic :)
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
fluffiekom

Post by fluffiekom »

Hey everyone, I'm having the same problem since I upgraded TVPaint 11 standard edition (32bits) to TVPaint 11 Pro (64bits)
I first thought it was because my mac couldn't handle it and there were no other reports of the lag on the forum. But now it seems a lot of other people are having the same problem and my mac is doing fine with other programs.
I do almost everything in TVPaint; illustrate, animate, design etc. but the lag is driving me insane.
Is there a way/link to downgrade my TVPaint to version 11.0.8? since that seems to fix the issue for everyone with the same problem.
(I need a 64-bit version because I updated to macOS Catalina and it doesn't support 32-bit programs anymore)

Many thanks in advance.

Good luck solving the lag issue.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Unfortunately that won't be possible: we don't have a 64-bits version of TVPaint 11.0.8 Standard because it did not exist at the time (it only appeared with 11.0.9).

On the bright side, we believe we have a fix for the lag, it's currently being tested :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
fluffiekom

Post by fluffiekom »

Nice! Thank you for the quick reply Thierry.

Good luck with testing!
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

Thierry wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 10:37 Unfortunately that won't be possible: we don't have a 64-bits version of TVPaint 11.0.8 Standard because it did not exist at the time (it only appeared with 11.0.9).

On the bright side, we believe we have a fix for the lag, it's currently being tested :)
any updates on this?
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

As a matter of fact, yes!
If everything goes right, we should release a software update before the end of next week, adressing the issue :)
ChristopherC

Post by ChristopherC »

that's awesome to hear! :D
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Unfortunately we're going to have to delay that update.

Apologies everyone :(
bauch

Post by bauch »

hello,

same problem here, on a MacBook Pro 2017, 2.9GHz Quad-Core i7, Radeon Pro 560 4 GB/ Intel HD Graphics 630, with Catalina 10.14.4, Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro. Its quite unusable this way.

the link to the old TVPaint Version doesn't work anymore, can you please update the link to make it work again?

I also observed a weird Issue that is may be related: When I save a custom Brush to a palette, very often TVPaint stops working for a long time and often I have to force quit the software. But I realized that this only happens when I make the right click with the Pen of the Cintiq, with the mouse or trackpad there is no problem with this.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

bauch wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 08:48the link to the old TVPaint Version doesn't work anymore, can you please update the link to make it work again?
I've updated the link :)
BeniMorard

Post by BeniMorard »

Hi there, I seem to be having some similar Issues when using TVP with Mac,

Setup: New 16" Macbook Pro, 2.4 GHz i9, 32 GB DDR4 RAM and AMD Radean Pro 5500M 8GB VRam;
Hooked up via USB-C to a new Cintiq Pro 24" 4k
Both running the latest software: macOs Catalina (10.15.4), Wacom Driver (6.3.38-3);

Here is some issues I have been running into with my setup:
1. Timeline seems to be extremely laggy at times. Especially after switching to another program the timeline gets completely stuck:
->If I try to scrub the timeline, it reacts delayed up to multiple seconds. It then "catches up" eventually and lets me work again.

2. Timeline dialogs not showing up:
-> If I select a few frames and move them to another location I used to get a little dialog with "copy, move or insert". Well the Box for the dialog now only shows up sometime, but empty. sometimes it does not show up at all. but the software still waits for my input anyway before moving the frames. So I just have to kinda "guess" the location of "copy" and click. Then the software copy them.

3. No response to clicks after switching Software:
-> When I do something in Trello or Safari and then switch back to TVPaint by clicking on it or with *cmd +TAB* it does not respond to clicks with my Wacom pen. This can sometimes hold up until you use your mouse to click somewhere OR click randomly in different parts of the interface. It seems to be absolutely random how "heavy" the stuck is and it is quite annoying to say the least.

4. The curser problem. (This is a long know issue)
-> The TVP Cross or Dot randomly turns into the regular Curser of macOs and stays that way. It can sometimes be changed back by quickly switching to the eraser tool or sometimes by switching to another software and back to TVPaint. But the second "workaround" has no been debunked because of issue Nr.2 (not responding clicks after switching software)
-> It may not sound like a big deal to some of you. But when cleaning or while in the "zone" it becomes a annoying interruption.

5. No true 4k Support. (also a know issue)
-> The cintiq pro 24" is 4k 60Hz, and I think my Radeon Pro 5500M with 8 GB of VRAM should be able to handle the upscaling. But the interface of TVP looks blurry..
-> And if you follow some of the fixes in the Forum, it gets either to big or to small.

Sorry I included a few things that may belong to another thread but I have to point out that most of these issues are not new. It just seems that with every update from either macOs or Wacom they got a bit worse. And now with Catalina, they have become a LOT worse is my case.
It is frustrating to read through the forum and see how many times other mac users have reported some of these issues. The curser problem gos back to 2014.

I like this software. I really do.. But the software keeps on interrupting me in my workflow .:(
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hello Beni,

Thanks for your feedback!
BeniMorard wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:511. Timeline seems to be extremely laggy at times. Especially after switching to another program the timeline gets completely stuck:
2. Timeline dialogs not showing up:
3. No response to clicks after switching Software:
4. The curser problem. (This is a long know issue)
We released an update yesterday which should addresse those issues. While we can't eliminate the lag entirely (due to tehcnical limitations), we greatly reduced it.
The cursor issue is also solved.
BeniMorard wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 17:515. No true 4k Support. (also a know issue)
-> The cintiq pro 24" is 4k 60Hz, and I think my Radeon Pro 5500M with 8 GB of VRAM should be able to handle the upscaling. But the interface of TVP looks blurry..
-> And if you follow some of the fixes in the Forum, it gets either to big or to small.
Yes, 4k isn't really well supported in TVPaint 11. I don't have an ETA on when it will be ready, but it's on our to-do list.
Quick note though: TVPaint 11 does not use the graphic card, it only uses the processor power and the RAM.
BeniMorard

Post by BeniMorard »

@Thierry

Oh damn. Talking about timing right? ^^

Just installed it and it seems to be working fine so far:
- A fair amount of the lag in the timeline is gone;
- The glitches of the pop-up menu for "copy, move, or insert" are also gone;
- Also the response after switching software is greatly reduced!

Just a little input for your installation guide.On the first startup the usual little warning from paranoid macOS popped up:
"TVPaint Animation 11 Pro can't be opened because Apple cannot check if for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information"

It was the usual easy fix, with the open anyway option in the General Security & Privacy Section
Just thought I let you know, if somebody for some odd reason does not know by now about this behaviour of macOs. :)

So great job to everybody at TVP!
Stay safe and healthy.
Thierry wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 10:34 Quick note though: TVPaint 11 does not use the graphic card, it only uses the processor power and the RAM.
Alright good to know. There might be some problem with the new GPU in the MBP 16", the lates macOs and the latest Wacom driver..
Because I just learned that the new MBP 16" has some issues with this new GPU and the Fans by itself. Specially when hooked up to an external Monitor (or Cintiq).
In the Apple Forum the topic is at about 122 Pages by today.. ^^
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Glad to know that the problems are solved!
BeniMorard wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 14:40Just a little input for your installation guide.On the first startup the usual little warning from paranoid macOS popped up:
"TVPaint Animation 11 Pro can't be opened because Apple cannot check if for malicious software.
This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information"

It was the usual easy fix, with the open anyway option in the General Security & Privacy Section
Just thought I let you know, if somebody for some odd reason does not know by now about this behaviour of macOs. :)
It's already present in our Installation guide, in the macOS section :)

BeniMorard wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 14:40Alright good to know. There might be some problem with the new GPU in the MBP 16", the lates macOs and the latest Wacom driver..
Because I just learned that the new MBP 16" has some issues with this new GPU and the Fans by itself. Specially when hooked up to an external Monitor (or Cintiq).
In the Apple Forum the topic is at about 122 Pages by today.. ^^
We've suspected for a very long time that a lot of the issues on the macOS version of TVPaint Animation not only come from some part of our code, but also from Apple's side, so I honestly can't say I'm surprised :roll:
BeniMorard

Post by BeniMorard »

Well, sadly I was a little quick on the positiv report.

- There is still a lot of lag in the timeline;
- There is also lag in canvas making the drawing experience not very satisfying;
- Selection Tool Lag: creating edges and therefor not very accurate;
- Drawing tool lagging;
- Filled Stroke (I use this a lot as a big area eraser) lagging and creating "angles" like the selection tool;
- Massive lag on manual Flip making it unusable;

I am using the Cintiq Pro 24 with my MBP in closed mode. Is there anything I can do right now to fix this?
Heard a few people are downgrading to version 11.0.8. Is there a link somewhere to get this version? It is not in "My Account"

Edit: Dean contacted me and He advised me to open the software in "Low-Res Mode". Now the performance has increased by a LOT!!!

EDIT of the edit: Actually It is very smooth now and I feel stupid. :D