Offering free TVPaint help

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
CartoonMonkey

Offering free TVPaint help

Post by CartoonMonkey »

If you need TVPaint help on a one time or even semi-regular basis, get in touch with me via PM and send me your details. I know how it feels to get stuck on some small thing, when working on a big project, or even a personal one, and not be able to find an immediate answer.

I am a long time beta tester and user of the software and I am offering my unofficial but completely free help to anyone struggling.

Keep animating!
-Chad Essley
Xavier

Re: Offering free TVPaint help

Post by Xavier »

Thanks a lot Chad :)
Lucentina

Post by Lucentina »

Dear Chad/Cartoon Monkey,
I've been searching everywhere to buy a copy of TVPaint Handbook, it is sold out everywhere...
I had a copy reserved on Amazon, but they had sold out, even after I had a copy saved for me.
Is there a way to purchase it from you or maybe there is an online bookstore that has copies
available.
Please let me know, I really need to learn TVPaint. I have two animations that I can't wait to make!
Thank you so much!
Sincerely,
Kathy Engelhard

PS...I have one animation that I did a while ago. I retired from Safeway in 2019 and after a few health adjustments,
I'm ready to return to animating with TVPaint. I am soooo excited!

Here is a link to see it: https://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php ... 47#p116347
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Lucentina wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 01:43
I've been searching everywhere to buy a copy of TVPaint Handbook, it is sold out everywhere...

I had a copy reserved on Amazon, but they had sold out, even after I had a copy saved for me.
Is there a way to purchase it from you or maybe there is an online bookstore that has copies
available.
I'm curious, what is the TVPaint Handbook ? I've never heard that there was such a book. That seems very interesting.
Oh, I see now that I look it up on Amazon the author is our own Chad Essley (CartoonMonkey). Interesting. Publication date is listed
as December 31, 2023. I'm guessing maybe that was the planned release date , but it hasn't actually been released yet ? On Amazon it says published by CRC Press , which publishes
art and software textbooks. Hmmmm... I hope Chad will respond and tell us about the book.

In the meantime, welcome to the TVPaint Community Forum. You will find that the people on this forum (including CartoonMonkey) are very willing to help if you have questions.

Do be sure to check out the TVPaint User Guide - https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/

And the official tutorials on YouTube (although these need to be updated) -
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x-Q3F7GepJ

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Caution:

After a Google Search which first linked me to the Amazon listing, I clicked on a link to a site offering a free .PDF download of the TVPaint Handbook:

The Publishing date listed there (15 Aug 2019) made me think this might have been a 4 year old, early manuscript previously offered to TVPaint Users for free... but AVG flagged it as viral infected and cancelled the download.

the supposed publisher's info said:

THE TVPAINT HANDBOOK FOR ANIMATORS: BITMAP
BRUSHES, WATERCOLORS, AND PENCILS DOWNLOAD
FREE BOOK
Chad Essley | 400 pages | 15 Aug 2019 | Taylor & Francis Ltd | 9781138912885 | English | London, United Kingd

Chad: is this publisher info for real?

sven

EDIT: I visited the British publisher listed (Taylor & Francis Ltd) and found nothing about "The TVPaint Handbook" on their website, which looks to be more focused on technical and scientific articles and/or newsletters. So, the free .pdf offering seems even more fishy.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

No, it's not real. Essentially, I had a deal to make a TVPaint handbook, now eight or more years ago. That deal was scuttled when my daughter was born! It was time to pay attention to more important things, and unfortunately it meant I had to drop the book project. Sorry guys! I've discussed possibly making a new slim guide at some point. I've seen another one that exists by another author, but it's only published in Japanese.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thanks for the clarification , Chad.

(and you made the right decision ! Time spent with your family is way more important.)

Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Chad,
Someday, some one will write the definitive TVPaint Handbook... I'd buy it. Meanwhile, your offer of free assistance is very generous.

I think the (Japanese language only) TVPaint book you refer to is available on Amazon, from Hironori Takagi, who posts here, regularly...

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Svengali wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 20:56 Chad,
Someday, some one will write the definitive TVPaint Handbook... I'd buy it. Meanwhile, your offer of free assistance is very generous.

I think the (Japanese language only) TVPaint book you refer to is available on Amazon, from Hironori Takagi, who posts here, regularly...

sven
I also remember a TVPaint Reference book mentioned in this interview with Japanese animator Chiaki Kanno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I6aLwkRnZI

In the interview she mentions that she had plans to make a digital edition which would receive updates. She mentions it is available from an online store named Booth.
https://booth.pm/en/items/781241 (in Japanese language only) . I think this is a "getting started with TVPaint" guidebook. If I read the description correctly via Google Translate it is 36 pages.
Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 5.55.49 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 5.56.55 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 5.57.45 PM.jpg
TVPaint Reference Book_by_Chiaki_Kanno.png

Lucentina

Post by Lucentina »

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your involvement!

And, Chad, when I can put my thoughts into words, think in a clearer direction, then I would love your kind help!
Thank you so much!
Sincerely,
Kathy