no mp4 export option?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
dorbs

no mp4 export option?

Post by dorbs »

Hi! I've tried to search an earlier post on the topic but couldn't find anything.

Am I missing something? Or is there no option to export an mp4 from tvpaint 11?

D.T. Nethery

Re: no mp4 export option?

Post by D.T. Nethery »

dorbs wrote: 13 May 2020, 09:15 Hi! I've tried to search an earlier post on the topic but couldn't find anything.

Am I missing something? Or is there no option to export an mp4 from tvpaint 11?
In earlier versions of TVPaint , such as TVPaint 10.5.7 , there was the option to export to .MP4. I don't know why that option went away in TVPaint 11.

However, notice the first two screen shots below , which show Export from TVP 10.5.7
TVP_10_export_to_MP4.jpg
This results in a file with .MP4 extension and the codec is MPEG-4 :
MPEG4_codec.jpg

But now in TVP 11 notice something if you use the middle option ("RGB-Compressed") when you export as MOV (FFMpeg) :
FFMPEG_MOV_RGB_Compressed.jpg
The codec used by FFMpeg for the option "RGB-Compressed" is the same MPEG-4 codec :
MPEG_4_codec_using_FFMpeg.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Again, I think you confuse the container (mp4, mov, mkv, flv, avi) and the video codec (DivX, Sorenson, H.263, H.264...) :)
You might want to read this article : https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/all-you-n ... mpression/

Yet it's weird that exporting to mp4 doesn't work now, if it was possible before.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Xavier wrote: 20 May 2020, 08:01 Again, I think you confuse the container (mp4, mov, mkv, flv, avi) and the video codec (DivX, Sorenson, H.263, H.264...) :)
You might want to read this article : https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/all-you-n ... mpression/

Yet it's weird that exporting to mp4 doesn't work now, if it was possible before.
Of course you're correct about the distinction between the container and the codec . Although the article does point out :

"The blurred line becomes nearly invisible when you start to talk about formats like MPEG-4 which could be classified as a bit of a container and a bit of a codec".

I'm not really bothered by the lack of direct export to .MP4 . I can export to .MOV and convert it to .MP4 if need be . But for those who need to use .MP4 specifically ,
it would be convenient to have direct export to .MP4 built in to TVPaint.

My point in posting the screen shots above comparing export options in TVPaint 10.5 to TVPaint 11 was to show that at one time TVPaint did have export to .MP4 as an option , so I would think that such an option could be restored. I can't remember why that option was eliminated when the software went from 10.5 to 11 . The only mention I can find of it is when the software was updated to version 11.0.3 it was stated:

"It is no longer possible to export in MP4 (FFmpeg), there's only MOV (compressed/lossless) in 64-bits."

But no explanation was given about why it is no longer possible to export in MP4 . (again, no big problem for me , I don't really care if I have direct export to .MP4 . I only use .MOV or .AVI).

What is new in 11.0.3.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:11The only mention I can find of it is when the software was updated to version 11.0.3 it was stated:
"It is no longer possible to export in MP4 (FFmpeg), there's only MOV (compressed/lossless) in 64-bits."
nice catch !!
Hironori Takagi

Post by Hironori Takagi »

The other day I tested how to upload from TVPaint to Twitter.
Only .mp4 container can be uploaded on Windows / Mac,
and .mov (h.264 codec) that can be directly output from TVPaint can be uploaded only from mobile devices such as iPhone.
We need a service that mediates services such as google drive.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

Historically, there's been a concern regarding the H.264 and MP4 royalty issues.

TVPaint is a small company which tries to not infringe any copyright, and I believe that exporting content in H.264 from our application could have been risky for us. With these big institutions like MPEG LA (www.mpegla.com), it's better to be careful. I believe that's why the export to H.264 was disabled. Though yes, the export to MOV does also produce a similar format, but different copyright owner (again, that's my understanding).

If you're curious about the H.264, here's a good reading here : https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-closer- ... -licenses/

Now we're lucky that there's been the Open H.264 initiative from Cisco : http://www.openh264.org/
FFmpeg is able to use it, so it could be a way to export to H.264 from TVPaint.
In addition I think that the warfare is now over...