Custom brush preview problem

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
houseofbliss

Custom brush preview problem

Post by houseofbliss »

I'm using TV Paint 11 Standard on a new Dell Precision laptop with Xeon processor and 32gb ram, with Windows 10 pro. When I select something with the custom brush, it doesn't show what I've selected until I stamp it. So I either have to use the keyframer, or stamp it then select it and use the transform tool to move/rotate it. And if I have a layer of video under the drawing layer, it picks that up too unless I turn that layer off. This really slows down my workflow! Can anyone figure out why this might be????
Thanks
Dean
Site Admin

Re: Custom brush preview problem

Post by Dean »

Hello,
If you want to select which frame of your brush will be pasted, a slider under the "Anim" option allows you to do so.

Regarding the brush cutter issue: when you select it to cut your brush, a "Display" box appears in the Tool panel. If you tick it, the brush cutter will usee your whole display as a source instead of just the selected layer.
Probably a vampire
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Indeed... if in the " Tool:cutbrush panel" you activate 'display' it will cut what you see.

if you have also activated 'keep' it will carry over (keep) the settings of the current brush onto the new brush you pick

maybe something in those settings makes you brush invisible ? e.g. a size or opacity connection set to pressure.

also when the layer you are on, is switched off you won't see the brush (but that can't be the issue here)
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
houseofbliss

Post by houseofbliss »

Thanks, unchecking Display did solve the multilayer problem. I still have the cutbrush image not-displaying problem. All my options are set to C so that's not the issue... it's set to Color and I set the anim to Once... that was on Loop but resetting to Once didn't help... I tried setting and unsetting Keep but that made no difference...
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

You can toggle the brush's visibility by creating a button/action with the following command:

Key: Tools Option: Toggle Display

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
houseofbliss

Post by houseofbliss »

Wow, that seems to have worked! It's different from toggling display in the cut brush options... Thanks!
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

The unexpected disappearance of the current cutbrush or animbrush has been reported several times by different users (I've had it happen to me more than once myself and Paul F. reported the same problem several weeks ago).

Maybe this random loss of brush visibility has happened to other users too, without their knowing why. This appears to be an under-reported bug that still lingers in the current (and perhaps future) release of TVPaint?

There is a fix for it: Key: Tools Option: Toggle Display... but even the fix's name doesn't really say what it does (it doesn't toggle the display, it toggles THE DISPLAY OF THE CUTBRUSH OR ANIMBRUSH...)

Could this illusive and intermittent problem: sudden CUTBRUSH AND ANIMBRUSH invisibility, be added to the bugfix list?

sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB